New Sim Racing Wheels (XBox One & PC)

General game chat
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

New Sim Racing Wheels (XBox One & PC)

Post by Duke »

It's been a while since something new has hit the market in Sim Racing Wheels but there are 2 wheels hitting the market in early 2014, each for the XBox One (Forza 5) that will also work on PC.
I'm really excited about the Thrustmaster TX 450 Italia Edition Wheel (Model TX300) but right now it's damn expensive (as much as the T500) although I hope it's just due to the limited availability particularly in AUS.

Here some previews / reviews to ponder.

http://au.ign.com/videos/2013/10/15/for ... r-xbox-one

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/thr ... iew.80000/

[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: New Sim Racing Wheels (XBox One & PC)

Post by nutty »

I was looking at getting a Xbox One and Forza, Not being able to use my G25 was a huge turn off.

Had a look at the Trustmaster, heaps of reviews on it on amazon, heaps of people reported it DOA + Other problems
Not to mention its mega $$

http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Raci ... B00ENFVS5Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I'm not too perturbed by these comments, it's a consequence of it being a 1st gen model which I'm sure someone like Thrustmaster will soon get on top of.
The MadCatz wheels is also suffering from the same bad early reports, given their track record I'd be staying clear of that wheel more than the Thrustmaster.

Yep I agree the cost is an issue which dare I say is due to the console crowd willing to pay exorbitant prices to have the latest of everything. :rolleyes:
Mind you I can't see how the wheel can cost AUD$600+ when it's only USD$400 RRP. :eek:
Dukester

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

simple: oz distributor wants to make a buck on it.

by the way I've bought a new fanatec wheel for xmas for myself (with the pedals) and it is DOA too. (the pedals work; I had to replace my aging A1, and I gotta say this is a nice replacement; although I've missed my double-spring in the brake for a while)
Still waiting for the RMA to actually start....the german side was quick to act, but the australian department is slow as.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
richo

Post by richo »

How the hell can something be doa these days? Must be great quality control standards .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

ysu wrote:simple: oz distributor wants to make a buck on it.

by the way I've bought a new fanatec wheel for xmas for myself (with the pedals) and it is DOA too. (the pedals work; I had to replace my aging A1, and I gotta say this is a nice replacement; although I've missed my double-spring in the brake for a while)
Still waiting for the RMA to actually start....the german side was quick to act, but the australian department is slow as.
Damn, which wheel ysu?

Don't tell me a CSW... I so want one.
by the way anyone here have or used a FANATEC Porsche 911 GT2 or the Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel & have comments on the good & bad points of each, when using on a PC?
Dukester

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

It's a porsche gt3 rsv2, but the support is the same for all.
It's an extremely nice and smooth wheel - when it works :) (it's the non-xbox version, the xbox support costs the extra $80 or so - that's the GT2 version.

There's one huge problem with it: it's useless without mounts. The table clamp is less than rubbish. But I've drilled a hole into the desk and have a screw here that I install every time ;)
richo wrote:How the hell can something be doa these days? Must be great quality control standards .
Yeah.
Sadly when everything is manufactured in Asia, where the standard is "don't do the job if you can get away with it"...it's extremely hard to keep the quality in check. We fight the same problem all the time.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

ysu wrote:It's a porsche gt3 rsv2, but the support is the same for all.
It's an extremely nice and smooth wheel - when it works :) (it's the non-xbox version, the xbox support costs the extra $80 or so - that's the GT2 version.

There's one huge problem with it: it's useless without mounts. The table clamp is less than rubbish. But I've drilled a hole into the desk and have a screw here that I install every time ;).
Thanks for the feedback, I also just stumbled onto this site which you may find helpfull once you get a working wheel: http://f-wheel.com/wheels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actually one thing I have realised doing my research today is the new Thrustmaster 458 Italia wheel is only 280mm dia, not much bigger than a G25/G27 at 270mm.
Where as the FANATEC Porsche & CSR wheels are all 300mm which for me is something I am looking for as I find the G25 wheel to be very small at times.
Add a set of CSR Elite pedals ($200AUD) & you have a mighty fine set for much less than the Thrustmaster T500RS set which is a 300mm wheel but no load cell on the brake pedal.

If the CSR wheel had leather all around that would be the one for me but alas it doesn't. Grr!!!
Dukester

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yeah that's an interesting bit - the high-end wheel has rubbish covering.
The other interesting bit is that you pretty much get a free pedal with the gt3 (of which I've got an old, slightly damaged version; the ffb motor slightly gave up) if you go to the product configurator.

But if what you want isn't there, you cannot negotiate a better price on any other configuration. (I wanted to go for a better pedal, and asked for a discount on that combo - straight and strict no )
It sounds these guys don't really want to make business....they'd have gotten a bigger sale with the same amount of discount out of me. Fark if I understand.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

ysu unfortunately your story is one of many I have come across in regards to FANATEC.
It was also the reason why I was looking more at the Thrustmaster wheels, being a bit more mainstream particularly in AUS.
But I keep going back to FANATEC & the features their products offer seem to fit better with what I think I want.
I wish there was places you could go to test these wheels before purchasing... at least I'm in no hurry to buy as my trusty G25 is still practically new, for now...

If you don't mind I'd really like you to keep us updated on how you get on with FANATEC with your wheel issue.
Dukester

AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I have the Fanatec CSR wheel with CSR Elite Pedals and CSR Shifter Set. It's a very smooth wheel and works well with the Xbox 360 & PC (haven't really used it much with PS3). Not sure if the force feedback is as strong as what it was on my Driving Force GT, but it's by no means bad. The wheel display is a great feature (when games support it) and being able to save multiple profiles to the wheel is extremely handy.

Probably the biggest let-down is it's compatibility with some games and it's (what I would call) average drivers and firmware. But even after factoring that in, I'm more than happy with it.

Here is a video of me using it in F1 2012 (back before I had 3 screens). It should give you an idea of how much sound it makes (if that interests you) and it also shows the display working.

[youtube]GFzRTZ66whM [/youtube]
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Thanks AstrO, that's fantastic.
So is the wheel display user configurable in anyway, like indicating the gear, rpm or shift lights?
Or is it all game / plugin dependent?

by the way I did find this last night, a cheap way to overcome the plastic on the CSR wheel.

[youtube] [/youtube]

As a bike rider I think it would work ok apart from the look... but then the plastic look is not much better.
Dukester

AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Flinty72 wrote:Thanks AstrO, that's fantastic.
So is the wheel display user configurable in anyway, like indicating the gear, rpm or shift lights?
From what I can tell, it's all game / plugin dependent, but I have to say that I haven't really looked into it (it's only a 3 char display).

PS With the AMD CPU, HD7970 graphics cards, 3 screens and CSR Wheel... soon we'll have the same setup! :D :yes:
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

AstrO wrote:
Flinty72 wrote:Thanks AstrO, that's fantastic.
From what I can tell, it's all game / plugin dependent, but I have to say that I haven't really looked into it (it's only a 3 char display).

PS With the AMD CPU, HD7970 graphics cards, 3 screens and CSR Wheel... soon we'll have the same setup! :D :yes:
Ah OK on the display...
Now hang on there, browsing is one thing buying is a whole other story... :rolleyes:
Pity we are 800km apart other wise I could drop in for a test run. :p

Actually two more questions if I may;
1. How has the rubber / alcantara grips faired over time?
2. Do you find you ever move your hands off the grip area? If so how do you find the feel, grip & squared off bottom?
Dukester

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The Alcantra leather is very sturdy. It's also fantastic to grip even with sweaty palms. On my previous wheel it is still perfectly intact after a few years of usage, and I've had a lot of racing done in iR then in nkp. I can put a photo here if you like - it's only slightly discoloured in places.
My experience is that something else will give up before the leather does :)

The ffb is quite strong on this wheel, IMHO, stronger than the DFP I had before. Lucky you can reduce it - on the wheel itself even.
The display is nice when it's supported. But I'm looking more at the screen, anyway. Still it's funky to see - for example - which gear you're in (and of course the info must come from the game)
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

The leather still looks (more or less) like new. Which is more than I can say for all the previous wheels I have owned.
I also don't really notice when I'm grabbing other parts of the wheel, I'm more worried about trying to catch the slide. ;)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

ISR review of the Thrustmaster TX 450 Italia Edition Wheel is up on YT

I think DG hit "nail on head" on one of his conclusions being, it would be great if Thrustmaster would offer the base for purchase on it's own negating the big con of the wheel being plastic & toy like.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Dukester

Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

I need to upgrade my wheel. I'm running an old G25 with A1 pedals which are nearly at the end of their life. Dick Smith have a G27 for $227 atm, although they have no stock (suprise suprise) Hardley Normals will price match, it's tempting just because of the price. I've looked at the Thrustmaster T500 but I don't like the idea of static shifting paddles and I don't like the look of the Ferrari replica rim. I love the look of the Fanatec CSW with the Formula Rim and the Clubsport V2 pedals however at $1100 it's alittle expensive and would require some extra saving.

I'll most likely hold off and get the Fanatec gear.

Then there is this Precision Sim Engineering. They are very expensive but OMG...... :drool: I'd live a GT2 rim!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89928288@N ... 177938344/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Flinty72 wrote:If you don't mind I'd really like you to keep us updated on how you get on with FANATEC with your wheel issue.
Well, another week and an another email later still nothing.
The wheel is sitting here packed up waiting for the RMA process to be started. I've now written another email to them, asking for the issue to be escalated as it seems the australian division does nothing remotely resembling support. (I'm in email communication with Fanatec Germany, they respond in 1-2 days usually, which isn't too bad, but still, nothing moves)

So to recap; purchase in early dec, report of problem on 25dec, admission of problem on 7/jan with promise of RMA process (after a round where I had to send a video of the otherwise clearly described problem) and on the 20 now, without directions.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

ysu wrote:

Maybe they are busy organising formula ford drive days.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

w00dsy wrote:
ysu wrote:

Maybe they are busy organising formula ford drive days.
LOL, yeah.

I wonder what will be the third one...shit stuff always come in threes, they say....
richo

Post by richo »

Bloody hell thats lousy service.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

ysu, I feel for you mate & it's worrying when I'm so wanting to buy into their product range... :rolleyes:

On the topic of this thread I notice Pagnian Imports has the TX1 wheel for pre-order now.
http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/racing ... wheel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But $650 is just ridiculous given the marketing & price of this wheel overseas is to compete with the likes of a Logitech G27... WTF!!!
Dukester

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

ok some good development; they've apparently sent the RMA number / address to me on the 14th in an email - which I've never received.
I've got it now as they've re-sent the email. Wheel is off to the oz address that was in the email on the 23rd - let's hope it'll progress a bit quicker now.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Flinty72 wrote:ysu, I feel for you mate & it's worrying when I'm so wanting to buy into their product range... :rolleyes:

On the topic of this thread I notice Pagnian Imports has the TX1 wheel for pre-order now.
http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/racing ... wheel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But $650 is just ridiculous given the marketing & price of this wheel overseas is to compete with the likes of a Logitech G27... WTF!!!
WOW! You can pickup a T500RS for $560ish.....