Mod Quality... Discussion

This game convinced norbs to buy a new computer!
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Mod Quality... Discussion

Post by Duke »

I have been thinking about mods lately, especially around mod quality & particularly with tracks.
Consider the official KS AC tracks are or will be laser-scanned then mod tracks will surely be a significant drop in quality?
I see this as a pretty big deal as I do feel that AC lacks in the number of tracks planned for release & it will probably be quite long between new track releases... did iRacing suffer from this early on???
So I fear AC may ultimately be limited by this issue but my hope is that over-time this will become a non-issue if KS can secure licenses 7 release new tracks regularly...

This obviously leads to the bigger questions on mods like;
* Moderation of mods (will KS have the resources or inclination to be the Governor of mods & their quality?)
* Mod Compatibility in MP (something rF1&2 still can't get to grips with)
* Mod repository (do KS have a plan / infrasturcture or will it be spread all over the interwebs?)

So what are ppl's thoughts & feelings on this topic?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Mod Quality... Discussion

Post by Righteous »

I'm not as concerned about the track thing as others seem to be. I think the initial release isn't too bad and I feel like LFS survived a long time without a huge variety of tracks.

To this day I can't think of a better system then what existed with skins in LFS, if that could be achieved with mods that would be perfect.

But I never did the mod thing with R-Factor so I don't really know the issues. I imagine for randomly picking up races it's a pain, but for organised leagues it should be pretty easy to make sure everyone has the same stuff?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Mods are usually a mixed bag, there are brilliant ones and totally shit.
But usually it's not a biggie; if you're racing and having fun - then you can race and have fun on lower quality tracks too.
If it bothers you that much after all, then maybe it's limited for you, indeed. I'll definitely not have this problem, I've had fun in nkp for along time on pretty much mod-tracks only. :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

GPL had amazing longevity just with extra tracks. And i'm totally for mod groups making new tracks. It's the bazillion cars and series that pop up that annoy me. Those are what break up the community. Quality should be reasonably good for extra tracks.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Exar Kun wrote:GPL had amazing longevity just with extra tracks. And i'm totally for mod groups making new tracks. It's the bazillion cars and series that pop up that annoy me. Those are what break up the community. Quality should be reasonably good for extra tracks.

that was what kept us racing as a group for so long. A new track would come out and we'd all learn it over a few days or week(or download it while in the chat room) and then go have fun. It was always the same cars so the arguments were limited to what track we should run that night. And there was always one bloke left in the chatroom by himself asking for help because the track wouldn't load :D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

w00dsy wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:GPL had amazing longevity just with extra tracks. And i'm totally for mod groups making new tracks. It's the bazillion cars and series that pop up that annoy me. Those are what break up the community. Quality should be reasonably good for extra tracks.

that was what kept us racing as a group for so long. A new track would come out and we'd all learn it over a few days or week(or download it while in the chat room) and then go have fun. It was always the same cars so the arguments were limited to what track we should run that night. And there was always one bloke left in the chatroom by himself asking for help because the track wouldn't load :D
:rofl: I am so spewing I missed the GPL glory days.

I think a few of you have touched on a good point that vehicle class restrictions is one way to heighten the fun... regardless of the quality of the track as it's the same for everyone.
Dukester

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Exar Kun wrote:It's the bazillion cars and series that pop up that annoy me. Those are what break up the community.
This!

Pretty much the reason I lost interest in rF and sim racing in general. Everyone was off racing different categories, and all liked different ones.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Flinty72 wrote: :rofl: I am so spewing I missed the GPL glory days.

some of my finest memories of ARSE were in the chatroom pre or post race. There was one particular well known aussie track builder(massive flog) who once mentioned he once had to give his daughter the hymenlick manoeuvre which was followed by silence and a bunch of 'um...er' posts before someone said 'dude i'm pretty sure that's illegal'. Then he realised he had spelt it wrong.

Another moment i'll always remember was when we had one of the real guru's(his name was Guru) of GPL app making in our chatroom. He had a brilliant app called GPL Replay Analyzer and he added a groove feature that converted your replay into a racing line(groove) type of thing, so it showed where you braked etc by making the road look like it had more or less rubber but it was based around your laps not other peoples or a pre set racing line. It was a brilliant idea. The same night we had a very quick girl from NZ called Sandy in the chatroom and she had sent him a replay so he could make the groove file for her. He innocently said 'Sandy you have the most well defined groove i've ever seen'. Cue more silence and awkward pauses while the penny dropped for him.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

OMG thaey are classic stories, you amaze & scare me with your memory w00dsy.

by the way that replay analyser rocks. :yes:
Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

almost as good as Norbs' memory :p
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:almost as good as Norbs' memory :p
You are my memory.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:
w00dsy wrote:almost as good as Norbs' memory :p
You are my memory.
roflcopter
Dukester

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I still remember some of our starts in GPL like one at Monaco where is was stacks on the mill. :D

Some of those GPL tracks that people made were friggin' awesome. My fav was Dundrod. It felt soooooooo fast!

[youtube] [/youtube]
Minister for Religious Genocide.
norbs

Post by norbs »

What about Gizmoring?

Holy shit, I found it!

http://gpltd.bcsims.com/display/include ... =Gizmoring" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

oh god that initial sketch of the track map. It rated well on the fun factor. http://gpltd.bcsims.com/setup/setup.php ... ack_id=170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

The problem with modern modding is the same as modern games. The effort required these days to make models if tenfold what it was in the GPL days. Modders have also become much more protective of there work making it much harder to learn as well.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:oh god that initial sketch of the track map. It rated well on the fun factor. http://gpltd.bcsims.com/setup/setup.php ... ack_id=170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I recall a night where there were 5 of us racing there and it all turned horribly bad going up the hill. We pissed ourselves laughing when we realised it was a crap factory kink. I think Dan "Flying Panda" Murray was one of the people racing it.