rFactor IS OUT NOW!

ISI's new sim rFactor
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I reckon the handling in LFS and rFactor are chalk and cheese. If you're dead set on one and really like it then you're not gonna like the other. I never used to like the ISI engined physics but since GTR my opinions have changed. I think it feels much better than LFS in the directly comparable cars but that's personal opinion. Also think the slower cars in GTL handle much better than the slower cars in LFS. But once again, personal opinion. The features of the game or engine or whatever end up meaning nothing if you don't like the way it drives. That's why I'm still not big on LFS - I love the open wheelers, especially the FO8 but don't enjoy the handling of the rest of the cars. Understeer feels absolutely horrible and oversteer happens too easily. However, I like the physics engine and the graphics engine in rFactor but not the way they have been implemented. So the basic feel is good, especially in those trainers, but the textures look bad and some of the design just looks really bad. But... a V8 Supercar mod on this game is really gonna rock. Even F1 stuff with decent tracks would be awesome in this game. I'm looking forward to them. In the mean time, rFactor goes back on the shelf (so to speak) and I'll keep trying to perfect heel & toe in GTL.

:tilt:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

actually I like the way the fox handles, it's pretty good, altho a little bit snappy but not too much. the advanced trainer in rF is much more...hm...dunno, it feels you can slide the car more without completely loosing it, which may be a bit unnatural, I dont' know. I've driven go-carts only closest to an open wheeler, and they are definitly more forgiving than a fox, but then again those carts are much slower. :-)
The tin-tops, especially the slower ones I think are very good, 'spot-on', hehe.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

the F3 mod is out

http://www.stylelo.com/WXC/F3v1.0.rar

haven't had a chance to test it myself!
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

The mods are going to make this game a success, I didn't like the physics in the multiplater test, the menu system is clunky and I'm not overly excited about the gfx style, but once the mods start rolling I can see this game becoming very popular.

These guys are giving the community what they want, a moddable racing engine that allows it to race what and how it wants.

Sadly with most mods the quality just isn't there.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Sterling wrote:Sadly with most mods the quality just isn't there.
[Takes a deep breath]

ETCC
DTM 2002
RH2003
RH2004
V8SC
SCC
PTC
Cart 2003/2004
M3C

[/Takes a deep breath]

All very good qualitly mods for F1C. I'd expect to see afew of them converted by a third party. But once teams like RSDG, GSMF, ORSM and RSR start rolling out there stuff eyes will pop! :yikes:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

the V8 mod is already underway, with better physics and better looking car models
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

Im really not sure wether i should get rfactor.

I wasnt really excited over the demo. The graphics felt like i was in a japanese anima, and the menu system was horrible.

Sound had potential to be good but was badly implemented in the multiplayer demo, and the cars look pretty crap, in the full game and in the demo.

Having said that i have seen some very good looking pics of the mods out there.

How much does it cost?

I dont have much time at all even for LFS so not sure i want to share my time with a game i might not be that keen on, especially with GT Legends on its way as well.
steve_w05

Post by steve_w05 »

Bugle wrote:
ysu wrote: Driving it is already a pleasure compared to LFS, I'm sorry but I have to admit...
Physics better than LFS or just unrealistic making it easier to handle?
I was going to try to answer this question, but I think its better answered here

http://forum.rscnet.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=130

a sim doesn't have to be hard to drive to be realistic

cheers

steve
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

steve_w05 wrote:
Bugle wrote:
ysu wrote: Driving it is already a pleasure compared to LFS, I'm sorry but I have to admit...
Physics better than LFS or just unrealistic making it easier to handle?
I was going to try to answer this question, but I think its better answered here

http://forum.rscnet.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=130

a sim doesn't have to be hard to drive to be realistic

cheers

steve
he makes a good point
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

A realistic sim should be harder to drive than the real thing unless you've got a Force Dynamics 301 or something similar.
I think the main point is, just because one sim is harder it doesn't necessarily mean that it is more realistic.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

demo

Post by ysu »

somebody claims to have a demo here...
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=222331

...and the thread has been removed. likely a hoax or hack, sorry guys :-(
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

It was a crack.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Played it for the first time last night. In short ho hum. The ZR(demo car) is in my opinion the best car, but i haven't tried the Howston thing. Was really disappointed with how slow the Hammer was, i thought it would kill the ZR but it felt so slow. The FormulaIS was insanely quick, my brain couldn't keep up with what it was doing. As for the tracks, i can say i'm also disappointed with them, only 2 of the 6 tracks are worth driving, Toban and Mills. Both loads of fun, but for a game that's strongest point is it's sense of speed, they didn't put enough high speeds bits into the tracks. Not a bad game, but not the next biggest thing either, mind you i hated S2 when i first got it, but it's slowly growing on me. :)
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Where does one download the "Demo" ????
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:Played it for the first time last night. In short ho hum. The ZR(demo car) is in my opinion the best car, but i haven't tried the Howston thing. Was really disappointed with how slow the Hammer was, i thought it would kill the ZR but it felt so slow. The FormulaIS was insanely quick, my brain couldn't keep up with what it was doing. As for the tracks, i can say i'm also disappointed with them, only 2 of the 6 tracks are worth driving, Toban and Mills. Both loads of fun, but for a game that's strongest point is it's sense of speed, they didn't put enough high speeds bits into the tracks. Not a bad game, but not the next biggest thing either, mind you i hated S2 when i first got it, but it's slowly growing on me. :)
Sense of speed? What the????
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
steve_w05

Post by steve_w05 »

the full version is virtually a demo. you have 48 hours to request a refund if you don't like it.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

There's no demo. Still no demo I might say.
Woodsy: interesting. To me it's very different. I'm growing tired of the S2's slipperyness - especially after a week rF, it's so much more natural... :-)
The rF handling got me straight.

Car wise: I think the hammer is the fastest of the tin tops. havent upgraded it to full yet, but it seems to be very quick already.

Track-wise I reckon most ppl just started to work on them, those provided are more suitable for the Rhez....so a few weeks minimum till we get some substantial addons, but I think it'll just go up and up :-)
I certainly hope so.
Altho I miss some features which are in the LFS...so probably what I'm awaiting the most is a patch for LFS with the tyre model updated/tweaked for the cars to behave a little more drivable...

Edit: yeah, actually the 48hrs money back is a valid claim to be 'demo'.
Edit2: you can lower the 'sense of speed' by tweaking the settings files, and reducing the head-shaking. I did, much better. Plus you can play with the FOV, they say it's necessary for those formula cars (I'm not there yet)
steve_w05

Post by steve_w05 »

theres some tracks in the making.
http://www.paddedwall.org/rTCDD/index.php

cheers

steve
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

ysu wrote: Woodduck: interesting. To me it's very different. I'm growing tired of the S2's slipperyness - especially after a week rF, it's so much more natural... :-)
I have never liked the icy feeling of LFS, but the fact that almost everyone on this forum plays it, plus the cool online features it has, makes it hard to dismiss just because the feel isn't quite to my liking. I agree with what you say about rFactor feeling better, i had some nice newbie drifts going in the ZR as i was learning some tracks yesterday. I think once rFactor matures, with more tracks/cars it's only going to get better, but as a standard game LFS offers more tracks and cars, and all unlocked, but LFS will slowly lose interest unless they make it possible to add tracks etc to it. It's exactly why GPL is still played 7 years after it first came out.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Ooh, Symmons, that's be fun in these cars.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote: It's exactly why GPL is still played 7 years after it first came out.
I can give you 2 very good reasons people still play GPL.

1. They cant afford to upgrade their PC's to play the newer stuff. Lets face it, you can run GPL on a calculator.

2. They are in love with that period. They dont like anything since then so they stick to what they call pure racing.

Point 1, I can understand. Point 2 has got me fucked. If its pure racing they are after, graphics wouldnt matter a jot. But look at all the fancy graphics for GPL.

About rFactor, lets hope the mods save it, becasue right now, I cant see myself playing it a hell of a lot.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
steve_w05

Post by steve_w05 »

in regards to the fastest cars. fully upgraded, the Hammer, ZR, and Howston are all very similar in their lap times. Its just they go about it a different way. where one handles better in the corners, the other has more power. the Howston has a choice of rwd or awd. the awd is heavier, therefore slightly slower, but can put the power down better out of the corners than the rwd. the hammer is about brute power. the trick is to dail out the understeer. the ZR is the lightest of the 3, so makes up for the less horsepower it has with a better power to weight ratio.

the Rhez fully upgraded is nimble and fun to drive. and doesn't lack in speed either, but struggles to keep the pace of the top 3. But comes into its own with it superior cornering.

so you can find a car that suits your style.

out of the box you're driving street sedans. not race cars. so they wont handle like race cars. upgrade the cars to the different levels available. theres 3 levels for each of the tintops. each class has its own characteristics.

cheers

steve
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

For the F1 car:
1) Fix the FOV as per post 16 or so here:
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=221388
2) Disable head movement (set the rate to 0%)
3) Drive at one of the more open tracks more suited to the car, like Orchid Lake Road course.

By default they also have high downforce which makes everyone think they are insanely grippy but to get the fastest lap times, you need to drop the downforce. When you do that, they feel much better. For Orchid Lake, try 15 on the rear and 20 on the front. -4.0 front camber.

The Howston is the fastest car when fully upgraded.

w00dsy, don't judge the tin top cars until you have tried the fully upgraded versions. The stock ones are pretty uninspiring. Make sure you try the F3 mod and LimeRock too. :)
steve_w05

Post by steve_w05 »

w00dsy wrote:Ooh, Symmons, that's be fun in these cars.
It is :yes: :D
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I think the big problem with Rfactor is people are expecting a complete product for their $55 but you don't get that. You're getting a taste of what can be done. It is a little light on in it's current form but the potential is big for this. I'm just hoping that the mods are going to be quality mods and not slapped together converts of F1C stuff. But I like it and it's taken me a while to get use to FIS and their sensation of speed, although they feel fast they're not going that quick.
Minister for Religious Genocide.