PC Gaming Headset Recommendations?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

PC Gaming Headset Recommendations?

Post by Duke »

I need to get a new headset for the Sim Rig (PC) for both sound & teamspeak. So just wondering what do guys here use & recommend?
I'm now audiophile & my budget is reflective of my hearing quality, so to be honest I'd like to get something as cheap as possible in the $50-$80 bracket but may stretch it to $100-$120 if I can be convinced its worth it. My preferences are for fully enclosed, not open ear cups, 3.5mm plugs not usb & nice clear sound (not overloaded bass).

My current wishlist is varied but are there any standouts that I should consider?
Logitech G130 Gaming Headset $39
Logitech G230 Gaming Headset $59
Tt eSPORTS Blasting Red Shock Gaming Headset $49
SteelSeries 3Hv2 Foldable Gaming Headset $49
SteelSeries Siberia V2 Full Size Headset Black $89
or should I just bite the bullet on an open ear design & spend the big $'s on a Sennheiser PC 320 Gaming Headset $119
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: PC Gaming Headset Recommendations?

Post by r8response »

I "had" a set of the SteelSeries Siberia V2. They are comfortable and for everyday gaming use they sound good. But the mic failed on mine after 12 months. It pushes back into headset. So constantly pulling it out and then back in caused it to fail.

I'm now running a Plantronics RIG. Surprisingly, I picked it up from from EB cheaper than I would online. It's not as comfortable as the SteelSeries (I've got a big melon head), but it's a good kit.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Are you sure you are going to call yourself a audiophile? Headset mic's are normally not that great.

You can get a Zalman Microphone ZM-MIC 1 for a few bucks($5-10) and have much better quality audio, from having a better sounding headphones.

If you want to read some reviews/buy great Aussie site Headphonic http://headphones.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , as all heads are different.

I like the circumaural open air headphones, so I use Audio Technica: ATH-AD700 fit like a glove, 6-8year old.. cant remember when I got them.. still working a treat.

Was just on about this at the Reddits, here is a good write up so i do not need to do one myself.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CandidCarry wrote:Argghhh this is an awful list! I will give 3 lists (definitions, one better, and one why this one is awful, some bad headphones)
Some basic definitions, skip this if you know the difference between open and closed headphones (no, a studio full cover headphone does make it a 'closed' headphone)
Lively vs Neutral: Sound has a signature, composed of bass, mids, and highs (as straightforward as it sounds). A lively sound means more bass and highs, and perhaps subdued mids. This makes a sound 'pop' out more, and most 'consumer' headphones are like this. However, it's less accurate, and worse for music dominated by mids like orchestral, acoustical, and most rock. Do you want something that sounds great for your latest pop, electronic, rap, etc music, that sounds fun, or do you want something that's accurate for your studio, gives an exact reproduction of your content, or for your more orchestral/guitar based music? Gamers can go for Lively for more fun, or neutral for accuracy or to remove that annoying bass (it makes it harder to hear details like gunshots, footsteps behind you, etc in competition).
Bass: Be aware that more bass is not a good thing inherently. Many people think bass and volume is what makes good sound, and it's not. Shitty headphones, like Beats by Dre, play on this.
Ohm Rating: If you have to ask, it doesn't matter basically. Doesn't really matter these days anyways.
Headsets suck, heaphones with mics built in. They are always overpriced and use crappy components. You are way better off getting a decent headpone + decent micl...
Microphones: The Zalman Z1-Mic1 is $2, really great mic, no reason to get anything more than this. Clip it on your headphone cable or put it on the desk. If you need more than this, you would know. Literally, this is better than any mic on any headset under $100, probably $200.
Supraural vs Circumaural: This refers to headphones that either push against your ears (most airline headphones are like this), or full cover 'studio' style headphones. It's up to you, but circumaural is generally more comfortable, and generally sounds better. Supra is generally more portable.
Sound isolation: Depends what you want, sound isolation means you don't hear the outside world, it doesn't hear you. Maybe you dont want others on the train hearing you blasting your racist music, maybe you want to hear that bus before it hits you. Maybe you don't care, but it matters because...
Open vs Closed: This refers to circumaural full cover headphones - Open means there's 'mesh' on the outside, and a person can literally speak right to your ear through it, while closed is covered, you put them on and sound from the outside world is cut off. Closed will have more bass and sound isolation. Open will have less bass, but will have more 'Soundstage'...
Soundstage: This is a presence to the sound, a 3D sound profile to a 2D sound source (left and right speakers). A good soundtage will make it so you can almost tell exactly how many feet away the sound is coming from, if that band is playing in your head, or in front of you, if the guitarist is to the left, or to the right. A good soundstage is crucial for gamers, it helps with directional cues immensely. A poor soundstage will make the sound flat, and less direction to it. It can be distracting though.

Now we know the basics, here's some choices!
$30: Superlux HD-681 EVO: A minor upgrade over previous AKG K240 clones, this is a more lively headphone that's more comfortable than anything under $50 and sounds better too. Semi-open.
$40: Samson SR850: older gen neutral sounding evo.
$80: Takkstar 2050 or Pioneer SE-A1000: These are both very neutral headphones, that are extremely comfortable.
$100: T50RP: Very comfortable, great lively sound, closed. These are the most modifiable headphones out there, you can make this thing sound better than anything under $300 with some work. It has awesome drivers, the electronics, just everything else about is 'meh' and cheap. Hence, modders heaven. Even stock, it's one of the best choices for it's price.
$120: Audio-Technica AD700: Very comfortable, not as comfy as DT990 or Sennheiser but decent. Neutral sound, non-existent bass, extremely wide sound-stage. This is the perfect headset for the competitive gamer.
$130: Sennheiser 558: Definitely the most comfortable headphone you will find, extremely high quality. It is open, has some of the most soundstage you'll find of any headphone. Neutral sound. Ergonomically shaped. Great for gaming but actually has some bass and is more comfortable. Can be modded to sound much like the 598 (which is a great headphone, but for $200 it is outclassed by other choices, while the 558 outclasses anything under $150).
$160: Beyerdynamic DT990 250 Pro: Open, just a hair less comfortable than the 558 due to being less ergonomic, only noticeable if you are wearing more than 4+ hours at a time. Much more v-shaped, bass-heavy sound than the 558.
$200: DT770 250 Pro: Lively, closed. Best closed headphones at $200
$200: Phillips Fidelio X1. Really some of the best headphones under $300, they are open and the most comfortable (whereas the 558 is ergonomic, these are just as light as air). If you can afford these, buy these. These have taken the mid-fi world by storm.
$400: Sennheiser HD600: More neutral sound, open, this is your first step into hi-fi.
There are so many good headphones out there though, really depends on if you want open or closed (soundstage vs bass).

Now why the list above sucks:
AKG K240 was great when it came out. Now, not so much. It's been cloned multiple generations now, and improved upon, first by the Samson SR850 ($50), then the Superluxes (668B, 681B, then Superlux 681 Evo. The clones at $30-50 are literally an improvement over this one.
Grado SR125: Extremely uncomfortable as a Grado is! Grados are extremely clear and the best for rock/metal though, for sure, but definitely a love or hate headphone. There are better Grado choices, like the SR60i, that are cheaper.
KRK KNS 8400: Okay, but just better choices at it's price.
Sennheiser 280: Not a good phone. Sennheiser is for upper mid-range and higher. Their budget headphones blow. So many good, better choices than the 280.
7506 is a great.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
richo

Post by richo »

I,m looking for in ear with mic to suit pc if anyone knows of such a beast?

Don't you get hot as buggery with fully enclosed?
[]D [] []v[] []D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

richo wrote:Don't you get hot as buggery with fully enclosed?

Not at all.
richo

Post by richo »

r8response wrote:
richo wrote:Don't you get hot as buggery with fully enclosed?

Not at all.
Must be me :)
[]D [] []v[] []D
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

wobblysauce wrote:Are you sure you are going to call yourself a audiophile? Headset mic's are normally not that great.

You can get a Zalman Microphone ZM-MIC 1 for a few bucks($5-10) and have much better quality audio, from having a better sounding headphones.

If you want to read some reviews/buy great Aussie site Headphonic http://headphones.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , as all heads are different.
I also vote for a set of normal (high quality) headphones + add on mic. Here's an alternative to the ZM-MIC 1, although I haven't tried either so cannot comment further http://www.modmic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

I just bought a desktop mic with rotating stand from MSY for $4 and took the stand off and glued the rotating holder to the outside of the left ear housing, and it is great!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

With most headphones there have a large casing that is nothing but air, you can mod them to have the Mic on the side, fixed/removable/single cord.

If you have not modded or fixed something like this it is not hard, can be done with almost any set.

Eg.
This is a Full paint and cable mod, with detachable Cable and Mic.
"Dark Knight" AD700 Gaming Mod (Lots of Pics!)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/484176/dark-kn ... ts-of-pics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or something like this..
Which is just the simple double sided tape mod, twist cables, could be done a bit better with some cable sleeving.
[youtube] [/youtube]
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

I use these mate. Can't beat them. Amazing quality and sound for the price!

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=25569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I actually went with r8's suggestion & bought the Plantronics RIG.
Its features really appealed to me with the mixer when gaming & also being able to use the headphones standalone on all my devices so I was happy to pay the extra for it.
Been using them all weekend & very happy with how they sound & with how comfortable they are. The added bonus is that any headphone can plug into the mixer in the future. ;)
Dukester

SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Gizmo wrote:I use these mate. Can't beat them. Amazing quality and sound for the price!

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=25569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any reason to go for the USB over 3.5mm plug?
Steve
---
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

SE1Z wrote:
Gizmo wrote:I use these mate. Can't beat them. Amazing quality and sound for the price!

If I'm not mistaken surround-sound in headphones can only be done via USB as it needs to be a separate sound device with a specific sound application directed at it to do (mimic) 5.1 &/or 7.1.
Dukester

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Look at the ends of a few 3.5mm plugs, 2-3 or 4-5 pole setups depending on what is needed from the device.

But not enough channels for 5/7.1, so digital works for them, unless you want a thicker cable with multiple plugs at the end...just like you would if you were setting up a stereo.

That and come with there own soundcard built in to handle it.
Two-conductor (unbalanced mono) and three-conductor (balanced mono or unbalanced stereo) versions.

Four- and five-conductor versions of the 3.5 mm plug are used for certain applications. A four-conductor version is often used in compact camcorders and portable media players, and sometimes also in laptop computers and smartphones, providing stereo sound plus a video signal. Proprietary interfaces using both four- and five-conductor versions exist, where the extra conductors are used to supply power for accessories. The four-conductor 3.5 mm plug is also used as a speaker-microphone connector on handheld amateur radio transceivers from Yaesu[6] and on some mobile phones

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

SE1Z wrote:

I am using some Logitech G35's and for me it was to get clean connections, over time I found the sockets where the head phones were connected would get shitty and I'd start to get crackling noises whenever the cable was moved, with USB that's eliminated entirely.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Another one that I some people use for Mics are from Modmic, if you want a different option.
http://www.modmic.com/collections/front ... modmic-4-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though you can mod the same thing yourself, though it does come with some options.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Found the things I was looking for, that explain better then my words do for Binaural Audio as multi speaker headphones are a waste, same thing has worked for music for a long long time depending how it was recorded, cheaply single mic vs full studio sound.
Stuff like http://www.sheffieldlab.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the like.
[youtube] [/youtube]
[youtube] [/youtube]

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Im in the market for a set of cans as my mic has died.

As my budget is $100 i was really considering the Corsair set Gizmo was suggesting and looking about the Plantronics RIG set were on my shortlist as well.
As R8 said they are even at JB's which has em for $4 more than PCCG, but i was poking about the web and found them at Officeworks for $99.

How are they Flinty?
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Love my RIG... I'm no expert on sound quality but they sure sound good enough to me.
They a comfortable for me even while wearing my specs, they can get a little hot like all headsets but the ear cup material soaks it up but doesn't make you saturated cause it's moisture wicking. The volume controls are a touch sensitive but nothing you can't tune good with a delicate touch.
The Mixer is a pretty cool thing but it can be confusing until you have worked out all the functions & had time to get used to it.
Everyone I have spoken to on the phone while it's connected to the mixer says it's crystal clear.
The only thing I have found is if I'm charging my phone while on a call connected through the mixer the other end hears buzzing until the charger is disconnected.
Not sure if that's phone specific though.
Dukester

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Flinty72 wrote:LThe only thing I have found is if I'm charging my phone while on a call connected through the mixer the other end hears buzzing until the charger is disconnected.
Coolness, thanks heaps mate. These are looking like my next set. I use qi inductive charging around the home so that'll be interesting to see how it goes.

This has got me thinking.
How long is the cord from the headset to the mixer unit?
I would like to put the mixer unit on my small PC desk next to the rig so i dont have to have it dangling to my side or near my foot well in the rig.

EDIT: after reading a few more reviews maybe i dont want the mixer that far away as its the main volume device. Still interested to know the cable length from cans to mixer.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

The cord from the mixer to headset is somewhere in the region of a meter and a half.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Thanks very much R8.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

You should be able to have the mixer somewhere close as it's USB cord to the PC is at least 1.8 - 2 mtrs also.
So all up you have about 12 feet from PC to cans.
Dukester

Quincy

Post by Quincy »

I use these, http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameC ... B00B1KJK22

Very happy with them, my dayz mates think I have the clearest mic. . . :yes:
balls & boobs. . .
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic MMX2. They don't look like much, and in fact the box they come in shows them being used as a telephone headset, but I've been well impressed with them.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Quincy wrote:I use these, http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameC ... B00B1KJK22

Very happy with them, my dayz mates think I have the clearest mic. . . :yes:

I looked at those. I wasn't able to tell how strong they were. I have a large potato head, so plastic headsets tend to crack after being spread to accommodate my melon.