Race Sim Tech & Tips

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: Race Sim Tech & Tips

Post by nutty »

Soldering might fix it, but the problem is it would just happen again.. It looks like the connection with the CSL elite just has a bit too much movement in the connection so it just randomly snaps pins..

People on Reddit recommended getting the quick release https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/steering- ... k-aus.html and that fixes it as the connection between wheel/release is nice and tight.. but honestly I cant justify the cost

Ill see what comes back from them over the week with my RMA
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

This is the very reason I will never buy Fanatec again.

The price is the high end, and yet they seem to have so many issues.

Even the inverted pedals I bought have issues. And there is always a quick fix. Why am I having to do a quick fix on these pedals after a few months?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I don't know what you mean Norbs. I've got 6 pieces of Fanatec gear and I've only had to fix 5 of them (I've only used the other one for about 5 mins).

Germaneering® meets Chinafacturing®
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

That definitely sucks, to be honest I never looked much at this rim although I had read it was a more budget option. I didn't realise the QR was a plastic part, if you need to buy the separate QR adapter for it to function properly then you're better off buying the formula black rim, you don't get the dual clutch I suppose but I'd rather the rotary dial. Anyway this is a bit beside the point, it should work as is. Is your fit loose or are you just figuring it's the likely culprit. I've sometimes looked at those pins on my wheel, it wouldn't take much if one was misaligned to break as you put the rim on.

I know you're RMA'ing it and you might have found this already but it's some instructions on replacing the pins
https://fanatec.redfirecracker.co.uk/in ... bmw-wheel/
richo

Post by richo »

It's bullshit you shouldn't have to repair new gear , I would love to upgrade my pedals from the T3PA set I have now but have zero clue as to what's actually worth buying that doesn't cost a fortune.
[]D [] []v[] []D
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

In my case they've all been fine once fixed so it hasn't turn me off buying their gear yet. It's just annoying for expensive kit to have these little niggles.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

DarrenM wrote:In my case they've all been fine once fixed so it hasn't turn me off buying their gear yet. It's just annoying for expensive kit to have these little niggles.
I concur with this.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

richo wrote:It's bullshit you shouldn't have to repair new gear , I would love to upgrade my pedals from the T3PA set I have now but have zero clue as to what's actually worth buying that doesn't cost a fortune.
I've heard the CSL Elite LC pedals are a good budget option, well Fanatec call them mid-range. As far as I know they're the cheapest load cell set you can buy, I haven't really researched them but have seen them recommended here and there.

If could be worth looking at the Protosimtech PT2 pedals but they're going to cost ~$800 shipped, however these would last you a lifetime and have good resale value.

Maybe keep an eye out for second hand, some CSP v3's for a decent price or the PT2's or HE Pros if you can spend a bit more.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

A bit of a convoluted story, I had to cancel my DD1 pre-order to then purchase the one I won in the auction. I didn't want to lose my place in the queue but Fanatec couldn't or wouldn't just refund me the difference, ok not the end of the world. However when I put it in my cart it added on GST when it shouldn't have but then charged something like $17 for shipping instead of $89, so it worked out about ~$40 cheaper overall instead of ~$120.

The sales people couldn't fix this so the only option was to pay it and then they'd refund the extra to make the price correct. The sales guys were generally good to deal with and the refund for the pre-order hit my account after only a couple days, so while not ideal I figured it'd be ok. They must have kept an eye on it and processed the refund as soon as I ordered and they simply refunded the GST component which was actually more than what I was owed.

So at the end of the day I saved ~$190 and am getting the base for ~$1,500 shipped :D

As an aside both orders still show on my account, we'll see they might send me two bases lol but I'll do the honest thing and send one back if that happens :nod:
pab

Post by pab »

Sarsippius wrote:As an aside both orders still show on my account, we'll see they might send me two bases lol but I'll do the honest thing and send one back if that happens :nod:
I have a local address for them, so if they do send you two, just yell out and I'll give you and Adelaide address you can return it to. :D
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

When they first set up shop in AU I ordered the first CSW. They accidentally sent me two sets of CSW/Formula rim/BMWGT2 rim. I did the honest thing too.

They will arrange the return. I think it was a trip to the PO, scan and send them the shipping receipt and they refund it.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

pab wrote:
Sarsippius wrote:As an aside both orders still show on my account, we'll see they might send me two bases lol but I'll do the honest thing and send one back if that happens :nod:
I have a local address for them, so if they do send you two, just yell out and I'll give you and Adelaide address you can return it to. :D
Ok cool I'll remember this :lol:

I kinda do hope they send out two units, depending on how quickly they become available my pre-order would have been fairly high up the queue and could be sent out a lot sooner.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Heusinkveld are releasing a new set of pedals to replace the Pro pedals

https://heusinkveld.com/new-product-ann ... c98ba2045f

Apparently they will be priced about the same as the current Pro pedals.

Something that might be of interest though is the Pro pedals are now discounted by about 100 Euro, 495 for the 3 pedal set or 412 for the 2 pedal set. I'm not sure how much it all works out once shipped but that's ~$150 saving.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Sarsippius wrote:Heusinkveld are releasing a new set of pedals to replace the Pro pedals

https://heusinkveld.com/new-product-ann ... c98ba2045f

Apparently they will be priced about the same as the current Pro pedals.

Something that might be of interest though is the Pro pedals are now discounted by about 100 Euro, 495 for the 3 pedal set or 412 for the 2 pedal set. I'm not sure how much it all works out once shipped but that's ~$150 saving.
The new sprints look amazing & reading what development has gone into them is pretty impressive, most of the materials have been specifically made to Heusinkveld's specifications as you can read in this Sim Pedals Sprint preview document.

For me I still think the best bang for buck is Chris Smith's ProtoSimTech Pedals, pity they are so hard to get a hold of as he is a one-man band & can only do limited numbers in batch releases.
I have a set of his earlier PT-1 models but have to still modify my rig before I can mount them. I just haven't had the time or inclination to do it as it's a crap load of work.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

This was shown by FANATEC at last weekend SimRacing Expo.
From what I have read this is likely the DD compatible universal hub / modular wheel system for those who want to use a 3rd party wheel.
One thing is for sure their stuff continues to look the bomb especially considering they are a mainstream supplier.

Dukester

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Does it come with a tube of glue and some gaffer tape?
eek
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:Does it come with a tube of glue and some gaffer tape?

and a self addressed box for returns? :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

In other exciting news...

I got a Thrustmaster TX as used by our lord and master. I'm sure that I will now be unbeatable and acquire an indifference to GT3 machinery.

Now to dig deeper into the wallet and upgrade the standard rim to something more exotic.

With the Lenovo super VR thing I will soon be a supreme sim master!
eek
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Exotic rim jobs and VR have failed to make me a master.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I suspect that you are right Cursed but until I actually hook it all up and try it out I will try to *keep the dream alive*
eek
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Has your super VR thing arrived already supreme sim master?
Dukester

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

It's just cleared customs.. Due for delivery tomorrow..

Yours?
eek
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Same, due tomorrow. :D
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

A new way of doing motion, looks interesting but is sure to cost a lot...

At the recent 2018 edition of the ADAC Sim Racing Expo in Germany, the Australian Next Level Racing company proudly presented their upcoming Traction+ platform.

The Next Level Racing Traction+ can be used as a stand-alone simulation platform or combined with the Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3. The platform provides yaw, pendulum and understeer movements, traction loss and power slides and combined with the V3 motion platform additional lateral and longitudinal forces, rolling, pitching and partial lifting of the seat.

The Traction+ slider system can support a total payload up to 245 kg including cockpit and electronics (permissible payload of the motion platform 130 kg incl. Seat). The Traction+ platform comes complete with professional software that supports all current racing and flight titles on the Windows PC.

At the time of writing, no pricing details, and no release date is known, but Next Level Racing hinted that the Traction+ should become available in a few weeks time. We will keep you posted when more info becomes available.
Dukester

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

This can't simulate sustained forces, i.e. long corners or braking, as far as I can tell.

It looks to me like a cheaper alternative to proper motion sims, with reduced functionality to match.

TBH I would not waste money on this, it feels like a half-baked solution.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?