Race Sim Tech & Tips

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
pab

Re: Race Sim Tech & Tips

Post by pab »

Starting out with just the Leonardo with a SFX-100 Shield but I reckon I'll move to a Thanos at some stage (I've made my actuators 50mm longer to give me a bit more travel, but I'll need the Thanos to be able to use that).
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Found this great FOV calculator which is mainly aimed at Codemasters titles as they use a very strange in-game setting standard.

https://andyf.me/fovcalc.html
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

norbs wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:02 am Hopefully it is a smooth build. I have seen some horror stories on the youtubes.

But I spoke to Blake at Gamegeardirect and he assures me if there is something missing, he will get it to me pronto. Fingers crossed.
Well, that is a big nope! What a massive pain in the ARSE!

Firstly, the manuals on putting these together are terrible. Some of the earlier versions had written instructions, but they dont match the later hardware. The newer instructions are all pictures, no fucking words.

I have built a lot of exchange gear using Unistrut and all sorts of gear, and I have never been as frustrated as I have with this build.

The shifter mount for example says compatible with Fanatech SQ, but the holes dont line up. And I have tried plenty.

Before I spam the photos, I will just say that the quality of the gear is no reflection on the guys at Gamergeardirect. They did fuck up my order though and sent 3 shifter mounts, but forgot a box for the pedal mounts. So no pedals on yet. Also the VESA plate for the quad monitor mount is missing.

Having watched a few people build these on Youtube, I was careful not to just dump everything on the floor. I worked my way through each box.

I have aluminium shavings everywhere at the moment.

Will be having words with Trakracer in the new year, that is for damned sure. My spidey senses say this is a refurb.

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

WTF, yeah thats not up. I found I had shavings too :\ but I didnt have a single part that was scratched or warn like that.. I would 100% be complaining mate
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

WTF!!! If it where me I'd stop the build & send it back. There is no way that is a new rig in my mind... :(

Maybe you should have made it out of unistrut, it has crossed my mind a few times to use it for my next rig build. :p
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:20 pm WTF!!! If it where me I'd stop the build & send it back. There is no way that is a new rig in my mind... :(

Maybe you should have made it out of unistrut, it has crossed my mind a few times to use it for my next rig build. :p
Yeah, normally it would be stop and send back, but I am in desperate need of the rig right now. Over 2 weeks since I drove and it is actually my job these days, so...

Blake at Gamergeardirect has been good and has sent replacement parts, but I dont expect them til next week. Is partly my fault for waiting so long to build it, but there have been a few things happening.

However, this isnt good enough and TrakRacer will be hearing from me.
norbs

Post by norbs »

nutty wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:50 pm Easy, its exactly what I did with the Trak Racer setup

https://sim-lab.eu/shop/product/integra ... tr=363,582
+
https://sim-lab.eu/shop/product/quad-mo ... 5#attr=369

How did you go mounting the 49" monitor?

The VESA mount that comes with mine uses M4 screws. The Trakracer plate holes are enormous.

Did you just pack it out with a few washers?

Cursed

Post by Cursed »

There's a metaphor that really should not go uncommented.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
norbs

Post by norbs »

Throwing sausages down George Street. That one?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

norbs wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:50 pm Throwing sausages down George Street. That one? Image

I dont remember any dramas with mine or needing to use washers, im away until the 3rd so I cant check it out :|
norbs

Post by norbs »

No worries
I just stacked some washers on there for now. That extra curve really throw the COG forwards.

norbs

Post by norbs »

Still some tweaking needed. But it is alive at least.

pedals need to go back. Monitor needs to drop 30mm or so. I'd like to get the wheel higher, but it is at its limits. Might have to look at lowering the seat if I can.

That said, my old seat was low and had collapsed, so it might just take some getting used to .

norbs

Post by norbs »

nutty wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:49 am Ok! Sim rig "finished". Finished off the build by buying one of those $90 ebay handbrakes and 3d printing a mount, and built one of the racelogic boxes using a vocore.io screen and the final cable management..

Nutty, what do you have driving the button box? A Leonardo or just a USB joystick controller or 2? And is the Starter button lit up?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

norbs wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:29 am Nutty, what do you have driving the button box? A Leonardo or just a USB joystick controller or 2? And is the Starter button lit up?
Leonardo. Im using this dudes guide exactly

Im actually getting rid of it now, someone has made a native streamdeck iracing editor, so ill likely fall back to using that + buttons on wheel.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

pab wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:27 pm Starting out with just the Leonardo with a SFX-100 Shield but I reckon I'll move to a Thanos at some stage (I've made my actuators 50mm longer to give me a bit more travel, but I'll need the Thanos to be able to use that).
How you going with this pab?
pab

Post by pab »

nutty wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:45 am How you going with this pab?
It's up and running, although I'm in the process of sorting out a few little issues, and tuning it to my liking. I'll post some photos and perhaps a video of how it's running at the moment over the weekend. I did end up getting a Thanos controller for it, and generally it's working pretty well

One of the issues I'm working on is that I have one squeaky actuator which gets annoying pretty quickly (I'm pretty sure it's the coupler at the top, I'll take the motor off tomorrow and see if I can make that connection better).

The other is that while driving in iRacing (which is all I've tested so far) I find that at some stage during the drive one or more of the actuators is getting out of sync with the others so that when I get out of the rig one of the feet is a few inches in the air. My suspicion here is that in an accident that damages a wheel the actuator on that corner is retracting to simulate the dropped corner, but then when I reset it in the game I'm not sure it's resetting the positions of the actuators back to level. I'll do some testing over the weekend to confirm that's what's happening (hopefully I can manage a bit of a drive without a crash eventually). I might have to get into the habit of clicking the Get a new car button after a crash (never saw the point of it until now).
PB
pab

Post by pab »

OK, so I have if running pretty well this weekend (still have to add back in the shakers and fans, but the SFX100 is working pretty well now).

Still need to sort out the squeaking actuator :)

PB
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Amazing man.. super cool. Have you sorted out those little issues bar the squeaking?

Makes me really want one
pab

Post by pab »

Yeah, that issue was actually a slipping coupler too, so was an easy fix to just take the motor off and tighten it.

Let me know if you decide to take the plunge and I'll pass on what I learned during the process.
PB
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

pab wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:28 am Yeah, that issue was actually a slipping coupler too, so was an easy fix to just take the motor off and tighten it.

Let me know if you decide to take the plunge and I'll pass on what I learned during the process.

Cheers will do! At this stage its on hold a little, the plan is to move the sim rig downstairs vs having it bouncing around on a 50 year old hardwood floor in a old queenslander haha
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Seriously skilled.

Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

norbs

Post by norbs »

Lets see what all the fuss is about..

Got these coming next week.

https://heusinkveld.com/shop/sim-pedals ... mate-plus/
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:43 pm Lets see what all the fuss is about..

Got these coming next week.

https://heusinkveld.com/shop/sim-pedals ... mate-plus/
:yes: :yes: :yes:
And Good Luck learning how to drive again!!! :lol:
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

A long way from Vettel's setup, but a small step up from the Fanatecs.