Race Sim Tech & Tips

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Race Sim Tech & Tips

Post by Duke »

Yay or Nay, if you could afford it...?
While I think the screen being in the middles of the rotation is a good idea, it is a nay for me as I think it looks ugly.

Podium Steering Wheel Bentley GT3

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Duke wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:06 pm Yay or Nay, if you could afford it...?
Nay, the wheels in game look better than the ol' G27 in VR :D
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Im interested to know the price tag. I like some of the OSD items but apart from that, the circular screen is pretty fuggly.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

KNAPPO wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:18 pm Im interested to know the price tag.
Funny as norbs & I discussed this today, he reckons $10K...
I first thought no friggin way then I thought, if it is a true replica then $10K is probably not that far off. :eek:
Dukester

Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Fanatec wheel rim purchases are the hardest thing for me to justify. They're just so expensive and yeah, in VR I could be holding anything. Oh, and one of my rims, I AM holding my g25 rim - in VR and out.

Some bells and whistles like the rotary encoders on the new formula rims and the clutch paddles are the only things that pique my interest.

That rim - easily north of $1k, maybe even $2k. I can't think they'd be doing mass mail-outs for a $10k wheel like they have on this one, but who knows? It might be a limited edition release.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

Nay.
I'll just cut some bits out of the current wheel and pretend.

Also decided to stop being a tight-ARSE for about 30 minutes and and dropped a pre-order for the CSL DD. Should be fun.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Fanatec folks - I've had a chunk paid out for some over-time I clocked this past month and it's got me considering picking up the Formula V2.5 to go with the new CSL DD. If I do that, then my original Clubsport Formula rim will be redundant.

Would anyone here be interested in taking it off my hands for a modest sum? It's small (260mm dia) and light enough not to deaden feedback from the lower torque bases. I'm thinking that the Advanced Paddle Module would be the shiz for the V2.5 and this could go a way to offset that extra.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Would the advance module go onto it? I might be interested but it doesnt say DD! compatible on the site.

The ver 2.5 and paddle module might be a bit much for a back up wheel.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

norbs wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:47 pm Would the advance module go onto it? I might be interested but it doesnt say DD! compatible on the site.
The V2.5 page says: "Replace the ClubSport Magnetic Paddle Module with the Podium Advanced Paddle Module (optional) for additional inputs and analogue paddles."

I've dropped an email to Fanatec support to see if the old Formula rim is compatible with DD1/DD2. I assume it is because they usually promote their bases as backward compatible with the CSW rims. I'll let you know.

The ver 2.5 and paddle module might be a bit much for a back up wheel.
I've never really considered the formula rim a backup. I've always liked to have one type of rim for roughly each type of vehicle:

Formula - modern open-wheelers, Le Mans proto's, etc
BMW GT2 - Most tin tops
Universal hub with G25 rim - old F1 and similar
Universal hub with 350mm 3-spoke rim - old stuff (e.g. the AC cobra in AC) and truck sim

EDIT: According to the DD1 page, Compatibity - Peripherals section, it is compatible with "All Fanatec ClubSport Steering Wheels".

EDIT 2: Support have confirmed via email that the DD1 is compatible with the Formula Black, which I assume is the newer name for the original Formula
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Quick follow-up - the v2.5 Formula rims are now back-ordered until January, so no rush. They have v2's available but I'm not going to pay $40 extra for the v2 just to have it right now when it's not clear what improvements are on the v2.5 other than
- cheaper because xbox connectivity not bundled in
- comes with default magnetic shifter paddles
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Anyone got thier old original wheel?
Sort of wish I kept my Momo but then again why...

Dukester

Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Duke wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:28 pm Anyone got thier old original wheel?
Sort of wish I kept my Momo but then again why...
I still have my Logitech Driving Force wheel I originally bought to use with Gran Tourismo 2(?) on the PS2. That ended up being the first wheel I used with LFS. I haven't gotten rid of it because it never stopped working and I can't bring myself to throw away a working thing... hell it's hard enough to throw this stuff away when it stops working.
pab

Post by pab »

My first wheel was a T2 exactly like that!

No idea where it is now, I can't remember throwing it away, but I must have at some stage because I'm pretty sure it's not anywhere at home.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

My fanatec V2 base started behaving badly ffb wise so I bought a simagic alpha with a d shape wheel from simrigs.com

Holy shit. It's amazing. Same cost as a simucube base but from what I seen just as good.

I'm loving it hard. I really feel like I can placr the car where I want alot easier r
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Email from Fanatec this morning:
Dear Customer,

We have some great news! Your CSL DD pre-order is shipping soon, earlier than originally planned.

You should see your tracking number in the ‘Orders’ section of your account once it is processed.

We’ve continued to improve the performance of the CSL DD with firmware development, and there is a mandatory driver update that will give you a better experience with your new hardware: ensure that you download Fanatec Driver 409 (or newer) and use it to update the CSL DD firmware and all your connected devices:

https://fanatec.com/driver

The update applies some fixes and performance improvements, including a smoother overall feeling and optimisations to the damper effect. The driver user interface has been overhauled and is easier to use. Check the changelog included with the driver download for the full details.

Here’s a video guide to help you get started:

Enjoy your new hardware!

Kind regards,

Team Fanatec
New toys coming soon. This is about a month earlier than initially listed.
:bounce:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I wonder how much earlier. I was going to get one for my 50th in late September but the website said shipping wouldn't be until November.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Cant wait to hear you whinge your tits off about AMS2 with a DD wheel Cursed :D :D
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I just ordered one :eek:
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

I ordered mine at the ARSE-end of July and it's coming next week.
They must have made a shit-load of these things expecting the rush but still, two months is a helluva turnaround
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Okay, so a quick check-in on the CSL-DD situation.

First thing worth noting to those getting the base is that the dimensions are quite different to a CSW base. The QR is about 2cm higher and 5cm closer than the CSWv2 is. I'm going to have to move my mounting back a little bit, but the extra height is a bit of an annoyance.

Set up of drivers and things went pretty smoothly for me when following the instructions. I have noticed that on the current driver level (410?) I am unable to change wheel settings on the fly with my old (non-xbox) universal hubs through the wheel's LED display. That's not a big deal given that these are all accessible through the driver now and you can tune them there.

I've had a few button recognition issues in AMS2 and in Euro Truck Sim 2. Those issues have been inconsistent and I don't know if they're down to the game or the new wheel base/driver. My old set-up was in place for 7 years, so once set up, I never really needed to change things like this before. RRE has been pretty solid. Those are the only games I've played with in the last couple of days.

The FFB is definitely sharper (faster and less damped) than the CSWv2. I think the CSL-DD @8Nm is supposed to be on par or stronger than the CSWv2 torque wise. That said, I think the CSL-DD does FFB at the higher torque levels much better. I never paid much attention to the belt friction in the CSWv2 before, but now it's gone, I really notice how it influenced the feel of things.

For shits and giggles I set the angle of rotation to 1800 degrees for a 2 hour drive in ETS2. I still have to tune a few of the other settings, but I think it handled things really well. Despite my settings making the steering far too heavy for that whole trip, the wheel base barely felt warm at the end of it all. I get the feeling that motor might be capable of much more.

Note: Recommendation on the Fanatec forum is to set the CSL-DD to CSWv2.5 compatibility mode for games until they create updates specifically for this base.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

No surprise this announcement...

Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I remembered I had this wheel laying around so thought I'd grab a CSL Universal Hub for it.
Think it will be great for older Formula cars & the Radical as it is a smaller diameter to any other wheel I have.
Getting quite a collection of wheels in my stable, up to 4 now... :yes:

Last edited by Duke on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

To all the guys with aluminium profile rigs, can you let me know what one you have and why you bought it.

And if you have any thoughts on the Sim Lab P1-X?

Thanks.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Im really happy with my profile rig. Without a doubt the best part is it will last a lifetime, no matter how I change my setup over the next 20 years, I cant see me ever swapping out the profile rig. The flexibility and customisation is cool.. Ive 3d printed a bunch of stuff for mine to suit me which is cool.

In terms of mine, I went a Trakracer TR160, Rally seat, pc stand and the quad monitor mount. My main two objectives was, get a big a rig as I could get and make sure its ready for a sfx 100 motion setup one day.

I ended up landing on the TR160 over the sim labs, mostly cause my mate who helped me with my DD wheel and is also looking at motion had one, and the buying local with local delivery seemed good.

That being said, being on both the sim labs and trakracer groups on facebook and seemly the quality of the sim labs is slightly better or at least it has a bit more positive feedback, but I cant flaw anything with my setup. If I did it again, I would just go whatever is cheaper

My only callout is what a pain it was to setup initially, measure twice build it once.. and make sure you have a right angle and a spirt level handy
norbs

Post by norbs »

Thank you Nutty. Appreciate you taking the time to type that all up. Good advice.