Facetracknoir

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Shonky

Facetracknoir

Post by Shonky »

Just thought I'd post this as I had not seen it mentioned before, If you have a web cam sitting there idle and want cheap head tracking, give Facetracknoir a crack.

I've been using it and getting some pretty good results in Elite: Dangerous, it apparently works in Assetto Corsa as well although I am yet to try it out.

If you are waiting for Rift to make it out of development and into full production this might work as a cheap stop gap in the mean time.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: Facetracknoir

Post by wobblysauce »

Works really well.. personally better then TrackIR.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Much like the TrackIR thing, I just don't understand this concept. You still have to look forward, but you turn your head? Isn't that the exact opposite of what you would normally do?
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Yeah I don't really get it? If I look to the right I can't see the screen so there isn't any point?
Hello :aussie:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Shaun wrote:Yeah I don't really get it? If I look to the right I can't see the screen so there isn't any point?
You only have to turn your head a small amount. A couple of degree at the most.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Sounds like it's worth a shot for now lol
Hello :aussie:
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Righteous wrote:Much like the TrackIR thing, I just don't understand this concept. You still have to look forward, but you turn your head? Isn't that the exact opposite of what you would normally do?

I see where you are coming from and initially it took a while to dial it in, I currently have the view rotating 45 degrees for about 20 degrees of head turn which is still a bit much, but it becomes second nature pretty quickly, you don't have to make a conscious decision to point your eyes back at the screen, they just do that naturally. :D

With the head tracking activated I was actually turning my head ever so slightly to look in the direction I wanted to see anyway, you probably already do it when playing AC but don't notice it.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Shonky wrote:
Righteous wrote:Much like the TrackIR thing, I just don't understand this concept. You still have to look forward, but you turn your head? Isn't that the exact opposite of what you would normally do?
With the head tracking activated I was actually turning my head ever so slightly to look in the direction I wanted to see anyway, you probably already do it when playing AC but don't notice it.
That's absolutely what happens with me, as I naturally look into a virtual corner I am ever so slightly turning my head also.
I have a TrackIR & sometimes use it when hotlapping to dial in race lines particularly around tight corners.
Once I have my corners dialed I then stop using it cause in AC (at least) you loose the ability to look left & right with buttons when using a TrackIR.
I also find it hard to use it in MP races, for some reason I loose exactly where I am placed at times.
It's mainly because the camera view changes in relation to your position in the cockpit if that makes sense.
I read a great tip that for sim racing you only enable the yaw axis, this helps keep your position on the other axis stable, it helped me for HL's but I still couldn't trust it in MP.
Imagine how Maldonado I'd be then norbs. :p

But TrackIR & any of the free webcam trackers like FTnoir are friggin awesome in any aircraft type simulators. :yes:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."