Wheel advice. Logitech or Fanatec?

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Re: Wheel advice. Logitech or Fanatec?

Post by smithcorp »

Have you tried turning it off and on? (That's bad mate - I have a spare wheel/pedals set if you want it... - Logitech GT Force. I bought two by accident)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

:fall:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

norbs wrote:It was good while it lasted.

As Flinty would say :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I feel your pain mate...

Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Oh man....

I'll have a G25 going for 50 bucks in the not too distant future.... :D

But really, that sucks.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Have you checked the ribbon cable Astro or did you do a warranty rma on it?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

DarrenM wrote:Have you checked the ribbon cable Astro or did you do a warranty rma on it?
That was my previous one, I haven't pulled this one apart yet (hope I get some time this week to see if it is something loose). In the meantime I can use it without the shifter. The previous wheel I had to RMA... so I'm not having a good run with these wheels. :(
thornz

Post by thornz »

So what would you recommend as a new wheel and pedal set?

Was looking at the fanatec, but after seeing so many issues, a bit wary of them.
Currently have the good old momo wheel and pedals, wheel still works strong after 10+ years of abuse, but pedals are fucked, spinking, not get 100% throttle, brakes dragging etc.

Am I best to keep the momo wheel and just buy some Fanatec pedals?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

There's not a lot choice of pedals set only in the traditional consumer market.
Most are bundle deals & for the FANATEC pedal sets they need a FANATEC USB adapter (extra cost) to use with other wheels. I also have a feeling the Thrusmaster pedals sets might be the same but not sure.

The 2 FANATEC models with load cells suffer far to many failures for my liking, a lot happen after not a lot of use as well, ask KNPPO. You can purchase replacements if one goes after warranty expires.

Thrustmaster has a two 3 pedal sets, the pro model is the only one I'd consider. http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t3pa-add - http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t3pa-pro-add
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
richo

Post by richo »

I had the Fanatec combo loaded to buy and the more I read the happier I am that there website shat itself.The Thrustmaster stuff looks the goods but there pedals only plug into their wheels and they're expensive ($800-900 is expensive to me )

My G25 is so near death it's not funny and wheel sometimes has FF and always needs calibrating . Don't know what to buy ..
[]D [] []v[] []D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Duke wrote:The 2 FANATEC models with load cells suffer far to many failures for my liking, a lot happen after not a lot of use as well, ask KNAPPO.

Well, it didn't help that I forgot to calibrate the darn pedals in-game :bang:
I checked the pedal traces in the Fanatec application in windows and jumped straight into AC with a mate.

As the calibration was set via windows I was having to apply maximum force to get the brake to 100%, 50kg at least for each brake application, not good...
The load cell in these Clubsports are from a set of bathroom scales and they usually have 2-4 in a set of those. So I was stressing the load cell for 3-4 days and it ended up popping.

Fanatec sent a replacement out in 3 days so I was happy with that. When I contacted customer support I had a response in 50 mins that a new one will be dispatched in the morning. :nod:

Now I have set these up properly I couldn't be happier. The brake is a million times better now I don't have to stand on it but to play it safe ill be ordering a spare load cell so if it goes to shit again Ill have a fix whilst I contact support for a new one.

Only thing I want to do now is replace the rc shock absorber. Fanatec cheeped out and went with a piggy back shock and they are a bastard to fill and get no air. To compound that the o-ring is the cheapest ive ever seen and IF you fill the shock all the way up it blows out and leaks. Ive replaced it with a better o-ring but the same thing happens, just not quite as bad. So I have to run a little air in the shock. What make it worse is Fanatec fucking installed the shocks upside down in comparison to an rc car... When the shock is in this position the air bubble rises to the top and sits at the beginning of the shocks travel so you get a soft zone immediately. :eek:

In a rc car, if you have some air in the oil its at the end of the shocks travel, bloody idiots!!! I have a new 1/8th off road shock on order without the piggy back which will make the pedal stiffer without putting load on the load cell.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

KNAPPO wrote: Fanatec sent a replacement out in 3 days so I was happy with that. When I contacted customer support I had a response in 50 mins that a new one will be dispatched in the morning. :nod:
I've had some dodgy behaviour on the throttle Hall sensor a couple of times, but on both occasions support responded quickly and I had replacement parts within a week.
What make it worse is Fanatec fucking installed the shocks upside down in comparison to an rc car... When the shock is in this position the air bubble rises to the top and sits at the beginning of the shocks travel so you get a soft zone immediately. :eek:

In a rc car, if you have some air in the oil its at the end of the shocks travel, bloody idiots!!! I have a new 1/8th off road shock on order without the piggy back which will make the pedal stiffer without putting load on the load cell.
I haven't opened a physics text book in about 24 years, but if I remember my fluid dynamics correctly, the pressure in a fluid is considered equal throughout. In other words, it wouldn't matter where the air was, it would compress at the same time whether it was on the top, the bottom or somewhere between. The only reason you'd care if it was at the top or the bottom of a hydraulic system is to do with how long it takes to bleed it out.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Well as soon as I compress the shock the travel is in air and not oil. In my rc car the travel is in oil for 95% of the pistons travel before it reaches the air bubble.

When you compress the two side by side, one upside down as per the the Fanatec installation the thavel in the Fanatec shock has a 10mm soft zone where the only thing resisting is the spring.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

So this morning I was lucky enough to get to play on a triple screen set up with Acueforce wheel and Fanatec clubsport pedals. Wow, really makes my set up feel like some cheap plastic crap!

A local Navy guy is off on tour and is selling his set up for $4800 with a i7, 16G RAM and 2 x 970 GPUs. Not the monitors. If I shat cash, I would be all over it.

He loaded up iRacing for me to try. Having only tried it once before, it felt pretty horrible with all this equipment being new to me. Being on base meant he could download AC pretty quickly and we fired that up after arsing around setting it up.

Holy shit! I pretty much set it up the same way mine is, and there is so much more info through the wheel. Just little things that I am sure I dont feel with my wheel. I'll be honest, I have no idea why, but there is a huge difference.

The whole triple monitor thing I found difficult to deal with. It was a little bit of sensory overload. I was eventually coming to terms with it, but I was 8 seconds a lap off my times in the Huyuarraaauuaa at Mugello. My left leg was fucked after a few laps. Kudos to you blokes who race an hour with a load cell.

Overall, I can see the attraction, but it is just too much money for me to be able to justify. He tells me it is a good deal and he will have no trouble selling it to one of the Navy guys in Sydney.

Funny thing was, he was talking up iRacing, and didnt know a lot about AC. I didnt uninstall it and when I got home I couldnt log into AC on my PC because he was using it. bastard! :) We have that sorted now.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
richo

Post by richo »

Looking at buying this cockpit just wanting to know if anyone knows anything about them etc . Looks ok and for $350.00 it's not a bad price .
[]D [] []v[] []D
norbs

Post by norbs »

richo wrote:Image

Looking at buying this cockpit just wanting to know if anyone knows anything about them etc . Looks ok and for $350.00 it's not a bad price .
Seems like a great price to me. Does that include seat?
richo

Post by richo »

Yes Norbs it does , not to self make images smaller :)
[]D [] []v[] []D
norbs

Post by norbs »

That is a pretty good deal.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Bargain!
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

KNAPPO wrote:Well as soon as I compress the shock the travel is in air and not oil. In my rc car the travel is in oil for 95% of the pistons travel before it reaches the air bubble.

When you compress the two side by side, one upside down as per the the Fanatec installation the thavel in the Fanatec shock has a 10mm soft zone where the only thing resisting is the spring.
You want a Mugen MBX7 rear shock, I've got a spare one that I might be persuaded to part with. It makes a fair amount of difference, not mind blowing but well worth it.

I've been thinking about a DD wheel but it's hard to justify the expense ($2,000+ minimum), most likely when my CSW v1 base packs it in I'll get the v2 base but even that's a bit exy at $850. I'll be able to keep my BMW rim which saves a bit on the cost.

Currently I'm saving for a set of PST PT-1 pedals to replace the CSP v2's, they're not released yet but look to be a nice middle option between the Fanatecs and the high end pedals like HE and HPP. I'm expecting they'll be around $7-800 shipped, including the heel rest and after conversion etc.
https://protosimtech.com/
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Sarsippius wrote:You want a Mugen MBX7 rear shock, I've got a spare one that I might be persuaded to part with. It makes a fair amount of difference, not mind blowing but well worth it.
I just happened to install one of these this week. :)
I went halves with a mate at work who also has a set of v2 pedals.

As you said, its been well worth it. No complaints at all with the pedals now.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

KNAPPO wrote:
Sarsippius wrote:You want a Mugen MBX7 rear shock, I've got a spare one that I might be persuaded to part with. It makes a fair amount of difference, not mind blowing but well worth it.

Is this something that can be hacked onto the CSR Elite V1 pedals?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

AstrO wrote:
KNAPPO wrote:

Is this something that can be hacked onto the CSR Elite V1 pedals?
Quick search came up with this:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/t ... als.68637/
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Sarsippius wrote:
AstrO wrote: Is this something that can be hacked onto the CSR Elite V1 pedals?
Quick search came up with this:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/t ... als.68637/
I found that when I was researching the stuff you guys posted earlier. However, he doesn't seem to be doing it anymore, or if he is, I can't find any current contact details. :(
richo

Post by richo »

Ok it's official the G29 and G920 are rebadged G27/DFGT :(

[]D [] []v[] []D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

With a significant price increase & without the shifter included... :(
Dukester