Storing Data for Extended Periods

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Storing Data for Extended Periods

Post by Vilante »

What systems do you guys use to hold data that you want to keep for good?

I have been thinking about all my photos and things currently sitting on old HDD that I need to move and was wondering what the options were.

I've done some Googling but it's pretty general advice.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Storing Data for Extended Periods

Post by w00dsy »

Google drive. I pay $2 a month for 100gig. But photos within a certain resolution have unlimited storage.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Depends what you think of your privacy.

Storing it online at some provider (google, dropbox, etc) is one option, not good for privacy.
There are dropbox alternatives that give you a better level of privacy.

However, any online drive is just that; it's not really a backup, it's a storage. You can delete the files easily (and accidentally) and changed files will over-write the ones uploaded. So tread carefully, and know what potential issues you're facing.

Alternatively, you can solve it with your own cloud storage with Amazon - this will be the cheapest solution but you need a decent program to copy it all onto the S3 cloud.

Then you can do local copies - this is always recommended, especially if you have larger amounts of data changing often.
Tape, DVD, External HDD, home file sever are all good options. And all have a life expectancy - nothing is permanent.

I myself
- use DropBox for daily works - we share stuff here with my colleagues, but it needs to be backed up regularly, we have accidentally deleted things before. :)
- have an extra internal SSHD for quick and big - fast but only locally available
- an external (usb) HDD - this isn't really the best, but mobile!
- a home server for longer term big stuff - this isn't movable, but available on the local network everywhere

Edit:

almost forgot that I use cobianBackup to create the archives themselves. It has all the options I need to copy things around, create incremental or full backups (or even 'differential' which is a sortof incremental but with all changes since the last full), and delete old copies where needed.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I recently checked of a few of my backup dvd's from a couple years ago and some of the copies didn't work, even though they were all verified when created. So much for that solution. I've now got a couple thumb drives that I back up to, but I don't back much up. Just photos and an old email archive.

Currently considering a NAS so I can set it up as raid 1 for the music/video files instead of the individual external hdd's they're on at the moment.

Don't forget to make an off site backup . Not much good having 3 copies if they all burn in the same house fire.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Thanks guys, much food for thought.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Why not use what the big boys use?

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-datas ... scarchive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chaching!!! $$$$$
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I'll take five :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

yeah DVDs have gone wrong for me, too. I don't trust them anymore, as it's slow and hard to tell if it's still OK. Easier to operate with HDDs. They may even have a longer lifetime if you get decent ones :)

by the way I'm currently using unRaid in the server. After a lot of consideration it seemed the best solution on the long run. So far no complaints, bar one; I can't create folders and totally deny access to users. There supposed to be some "invalid users" section to each share, but that does not seem to be there for me...maybe I need to update(?)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Never been a fan of Cd and Dvd backups.

USBs and a number of WD greens, myself.

Following the 3 2 1 rule .. Cloud is a good spot but Free is no good for privacy, so Carbonite is one of the ones out there that get a recommendation .
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Dual bay NAS raid 1 here. Only a cheap one, but should be safe enough unless the house burns down or its stolen.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Ive got a NAS with 4 1TB drives running Raid 5. Ive had one drive go funny, wiped it and re built the raid over night and I didn't loose a thing.
I use Google Drive for some stuff but ive heard good things about Carbonite as Wobbly mentioned.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.