New PC. Advice for Smiss and I.

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: New PC. Advice for Smiss and I.

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Thanks for all the info chaps - looks like I'll be sticking with what I've got, but I've got a useful upgrade path for next year!
What a great bunch we have here hey Smiss. We both got some terrific advice and hardly any snarky shit either.

Kudos ARSE nerds. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Santaria wrote:
Duke wrote:Smtih, are you OC'ing that 2500K as they generally OC very well even with stock CPU air coolers???
No. DO not do this! The stock air coolers do fuck all and you'll risk the CPU easily.
Just get yourself one of these All in One Liquid Coolers then OC to your hearts content & you'll never have to worry again. ;)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

norbs wrote:
smithcorp wrote:Thanks for all the info chaps - looks like I'll be sticking with what I've got, but I've got a useful upgrade path for next year!
What a great bunch we have here hey Smiss. We both got some terrific advice and hardly any snarky shit either.

Kudos ARSE nerds. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Agreed.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

is there such a thing as a liquid cooling solution to take the heat out of the CPU AND the GPU on the video card in the same cooling system?

My old 7970 runs hot on some games (not AC though ?) to the point I get a shut down.

If Norbs is going to be pushing the video card during his rendering, should he look to additional cooling for this as well?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

as far as i know there's isn't any all-in-one / closed liquid cooling system for GPU's.
From what I know you need a special water block (EK) & build it into a typical WC system.

Most ppl just buy factory OC GPU's or OC what they have as much as they can on air.

Norbs went the factory OC option which should suffice. ;)
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/corsai ... mance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7719/nzxt ... r-your-gpu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is do-able but not required, you also loose your warranty.

The GTX970 is so power efficient that she doesn't get very warm at all which is why there is so much OC headroom, water drooling just isn't required. I am running a ~20% overclock with software overvolting and it is still under 70c with the fans keeping themselves around 40%-50% unless its over 30c in my room, then they get to about 65% and I can just hear them but still she runs under 70c (seems to be the cards thermal target).

Durrie, I would suggest that the shutdown is CPU or PSU related. Graphics cards would usually start to artefact and the then driver would reset or sometimes cause a bluescreen / restart, doesnt cause a shutdown. Graphics cards are OK up to 100c though lower than 80c would be preferable. AC being a GPU intensive game (depending on settings) also makes me think its not your 7970.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Thanks everyone. Now the fun begins.

Oh yes, any quick and dirty tips on building a machine. It has been a while.

Order of build, etc etc.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Sick!!

Love a new build! :yes:
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

PSU, mobo, CPU, RAM, Sata Cables/ HDDS, CPU Cooler/GPU (Could be either or)

That's probably the order I would do it.

Doing cable for HDDs can be a pain once you have graphics cards and other things in the way.

Good luck, should be fun.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Righteous wrote:PSU, mobo, CPU, RAM, Sata Cables/ HDDS, CPU Cooler/GPU (Could be either or)

That's probably the order I would do it.

Doing cable for HDDs can be a pain once you have graphics cards and other things in the way.

Good luck, should be fun.
I am too old for this to be fun, I just want it to work. :)

15 years ago I would have had a fat a cat couldn't scratch. Now, meh, just work.

Thanks for the tips Righty.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I usually seat the CPU & fan, and ram onto the Mobo while it's sitting in the box before putting it into the case.

I made the mistake of plugging in my old HDD along with my new SSD. Even though my windows installed to the SSD fine, it's still using the old boot file sitting on the old HDD and won't let me format that drive. If I didn't plug it in, and installed everything on the SSD alone, it would have been fine. I'll get around to fixing that one day.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

DexterPunk wrote:I usually seat the CPU & fan, and ram onto the Mobo while it's sitting in the box before putting it into the case.

I made the mistake of plugging in my old HDD along with my new SSD. Even though my windows installed to the SSD fine, it's still using the old boot file sitting on the old HDD and won't let me format that drive. If I didn't plug it in, and installed everything on the SSD alone, it would have been fine. I'll get around to fixing that one day.
That doesn't sound right.

Have you messed around with the boot priority in the bios? That should fix that pretty quick smart.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It's definitely not right. But really, it just means I have to press enter on start up each time. Annoying enough to be annoying... but obviously not enough for me to have bothered fixing it yet. :D I'll have a fiddle one of these days. I'll look at changing priority, cheers.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Righteous wrote:
DexterPunk wrote:I usually seat the CPU & fan, and ram onto the Mobo while it's sitting in the box before putting it into the case.

Have you messed around with the boot priority in the bios? That should fix that pretty quick smart.
It happens when you have your secondary drive in the first SATA Port when installing the OS, the MBR gets installed to that drive and not the drive you chose to install the OS on. Always install with just the SSD plugged in then add other drives later :)

Also norbs, you will workout fairly quickly that you cant install the CPU cooler before putting the mobo in the case :) flopping water cooling hoses all over the place gets old quickly. Just roughly follow righty's order and add some of your experience :wheelchair: and you will be sweet, you have my number if you get stuck :aussie:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

renesis37 wrote:
Righteous wrote:

It happens when you have your secondary drive in the first SATA Port when installing the OS, the MBR gets installed to that drive and not the drive you chose to install the OS on. Always install with just the SSD plugged in then add other drives later :)

Also norbs, you will workout fairly quickly that you cant install the CPU cooler before putting the mobo in the case :) flopping water cooling hoses all over the place gets old quickly. Just roughly follow righty's order and add some of your age experience :wheelchair: and you will be sweet, you have my number if you get stuck :aussie:

Bending the board is what you wanna steer clear of, which is why I mentioned it. It would still be better to make sure you get the CPU and RAM seated before placing the board in the case. I didn't notice the water-cooling there.

And yes, installing HDD's after would have been the right thing to do... as I said.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Looks great Norbs. Have fun!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
renesis37

Post by renesis37 »

Bending the board is what you wanna steer clear of, which is why I mentioned it. It would still be better to make sure you get the CPU and RAM seated before placing the board in the case. I didn't notice the water-cooling there.

And yes, installing HDD's after would have been the right thing to do... as I said.
:biker: no worries boss
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hmpfh. I did the same with my first 028GB SSD. I was pretty pissed with it, too, when I found out. So I've bought another SSD - 256GB :) And installed another windows on that - standalone, this time :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
norbs

Post by norbs »

You need the eyes of a ninja and the fingers of a swiss watch maker. Jesus.

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Great stuff.. The gfx card is working!
eek
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

If you don't mind me prying Norbs, what components did you get and how much did it cost in total?
norbs

Post by norbs »

r8response wrote:If you don't mind me prying Norbs, what components did you get and how much did it cost in total?
Will do later today R8.

Initial tests are encouraging.

Will post some once I have better numbers.

If someone can explain WIN 7 networking to me, I would be grateful. What happened to the old days of just sharing different directories? This fucking homegroup shit is killing me.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

norbs wrote: If someone can explain WIN 7 networking to me, I would be grateful. What happened to the old days of just sharing different directories? This fucking homegroup shit is killing me.
It either works or not. Sometimes it does. But it'll always do your head in.
Sorry, I've just as many problems with it as you. Windoes was famous for bad networking but lately it's spilling over in my opinion.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
norbs

Post by norbs »

ysu wrote:
norbs wrote: If someone can explain WIN 7 networking to me, I would be grateful. What happened to the old days of just sharing different directories? This fucking homegroup shit is killing me.
It either works or not. Sometimes it does. But it'll always do your head in.
Sorry, I've just as many problems with it as you. Windoes was famous for bad networking but lately it's spilling over in my opinion.
When it was a simple workgroup set up, it was fine.

Now, what a cluster fuck.

The 2 Windows 7 PCs can both talk to my Linux server and copy super fast, but cant fucking talk to each other. :rolleyes:
norbs

Post by norbs »

r8response wrote:If you don't mind me prying Norbs, what components did you get and how much did it cost in total?

That will make interesting reading in 12 months, 5 years and 10 years time :)