dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Assassin's Creed Unity

Post by dvestate »

Anyone grabbed this yet, thoughts?
DarrenM

Re: Assassin's Creed Unity

Post by DarrenM »

Seems to bet getting a fair bit of backlash for being buggy, having fps issues and having micro payment stuff in it.

Putting an embargo on reviews until after launch is never a good sign.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Yeah I had a look at the reviews today and not very glowing :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Console framerates in the 20's..... not cool.
Steve
---
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

http://www.amazon.com/review/RTDOWG8IG0 ... videogames" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AC Unity is true next-gen. In fact, it is SO next-gen that it isn't even finished yet! I like to be on the cutting edge and I appreciate that Ubisoft is making games that it is still making, even weeks after you've beaten them.

I also love the forced integration with an app as well as a website. How that works is that you sign in with your uplay account to experience so many error messages that last gen could never display on screen at one time.

The game itself (no spoilers) centers around Arno, an Assasin in search of locked chests that require a cell phone game with micro transactions to open. You level him up by "hacking" into your bank account to drain real money at 60 FPS. The rest of the game runs at a solid 12 FPS which is TWICE as cinematic as a movie... No small feat! Once you've completed "playing" a website on your computer, Arno is finally ready to fall through the ground and enter a white abyss... The core challenge of the game, these moments where you simply fall into the sky that accurately existed under 1700's Paris, are some of the most nail-biting moments in any game ever made... Will the game crash? Will you have to hard reset your console? Results are random, so it will always be a surprise!

Many people just won't "get" this evolution of Assassin's Creed and should spend their time opening up a history book instead. It is there they could read up on Paris' floating people and long battle with pop-in. Even today, many Parisians only exist after you've already walked past them. It is these small details that Ubisoft has nailed and they deserve applause with tons of random audio pops just as you'd hear in the game's cinematics.

After playing this gem, I've decided to fly to Montreal tomorrow to begin playing 2018's Assassin's Creed 9. Unity's only shortcoming was that it was a little TOO finished, so I am hoping the Ubisoft guys will let me plug my controller into a broken vending machine in their studio that simply eats dollars that I put into it without delivering.

Update: Ubisoft has mentioned that they will be issuing a patch that may "fix" some of these historically accurate non-issues. For this reason, I have lowered my score to 1 star. If I wanted to play a game that was finished, I would not have purchased a Ubisoft game on day one. Boo to Ubisoft, we expect less of you.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I was interested in this but it looks like I was wise to wait for the reaction of the masses so I'll wait till it gets a few patches under its belt before taking a look.