Cities: Skylines (The game Simcity should have been)

General game chat
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Cities: Skylines (The game Simcity should have been)

Post by ysu »

Geez those roads are mental.

I'm back to struggling. Not monetary problems, but traffic-wise. The latest changes weren't as successful as I though they'll be, hehe. After a while cars are now doing weird loops around the map, maybe I've gone a bit nutso with one-way roads, LOL. Funnily enough, the grid-like layout was still better in hindsight.

Back to the drawing board :)

I refuse to look at other people's solutions, that takes the challenge out of it.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
thornz

Post by thornz »

Shonky wrote:40k you say, it can simulate 1 million cims total so you are a ways from tapping it out. :D
I know I can go bigger, its more just the fact the challenge of the inital startup is gone, and now its just building new things. I think money is too easy to come by, I don't even play with the budget apart from adjusting the power budget, yet have more money than I can spend.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Yeah I see where you are coming from, maybe start a new map using hard mode mod that comes with the game.
thornz

Post by thornz »

I think I might experiment a bit and build a satellite town away from my current main city and try a few ideas before possible starting a new map. I see amongst the mods now I can use a map of my home city which would be kind of interesting I think to try build a creation of my home city.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Easy way to think of it.. how would you like the roads, if you drove them yourself.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

wobblysauce wrote:Easy way to think of it.. how would you like the roads, if you drove them yourself.
Sounds wise, but the fuckers don't drive the way I would :D

Finally managed to sort out my traffic, the city is showing great promise now!

wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

True.. Nice amount of wiggling roads :P

Now watch the traffic.. in the way this game is modeled and you will see something.

You will notice them get into the lane they need after the last turnoff most times.

Eg.. left lane is backed up.. and you have on and off ramps only on the left side..

Now have your highways and others major side roads, like the 'Mid-Office zone'.

That way you can make use of all the lanes of a road, left side off ramp, right side on ramp..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I've clocked too much time in this. I didn't realise traffic was an issue until everyone online kept pointing it out... Strange.

Only issue I had was telling the height of the land on the flatter maps. I had planned an area for the airport and it said it was too hilly. Ah well.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Traffic is not an issue, unless you do it poorly.... most do it that way.
Sky pedestrian side walks.. no one drives, except delivery trucks.

Ya, slight elevation issues aside.. quite annoying if you do complex tight over passes, like stuff from the assist manager/workshop.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

wobblysauce wrote:You will notice them get into the lane they need after the last turnoff most times.
That was part of my problem; even if their off-ramp was three ramps away they kept to the left lane. That's one of those things where I say "NOT how I drive" :)
The have clogged up the whole left lane without utilising any of the others. Now I'm alternating off-ramps left-right as much as I can.

But there was another weird issue;
trucks coming from NW going to S did not use a ramp that put them on the correct path, maybe because it was a long ramp after the actual intersection. Instead they chose to go N (freeway all the way!) then turn back at the next intersection - which was busy already - thus causing insane-supermassive traffic jams.

All good now. :)

There's a party at the playground!

I really like to look through the city on the micro level, it's good looking & interesting :) Look at those reflections in the windows.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Those close-up level views look like they need a plastic Godzilla to wander into frame.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

The reflections can look weird at different angles but it is cool. I agree about the micro level looking, to things like the fire trucks with the hoses, to dogs (which you can name). The ambulances pulling people on a stretcher too. Impressed by the little details.

Admittedly, I did flood an area when I built the dam. I didn't realise the water was dynamic until that point. Awesome.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Been keeping an eye on this thread since it went up. Had not heard about this game before it. What's the verdict by everyone who has it? Worth the money?
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

I think I might get this one next month sometime.
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
thornz

Post by thornz »

DexterPunk wrote:Been keeping an eye on this thread since it went up. Had not heard about this game before it. What's the verdict by everyone who has it? Worth the money?
Definitely worth the $$ in my opinion. Its cheap for a start (20 USD or so), and with the amount of community mods I think it has a pretty good future. On normal level its pretty easy, but there is a hard mode included as well which I haven't tried yet. Havent played any recent city sims so cant really compre it to anything, but I'm loving it, and its pretty simple to pick up.

What can be achieved for example - GTA5 map http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gta-5- ... 0-6425913/
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

As Thornz said. It's one of those games that give you amazing value for the money - if you like the genre :)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

DexterPunk wrote:Been keeping an eye on this thread since it went up. Had not heard about this game before it. What's the verdict by everyone who has it? Worth the money?
GreenManGaming with the voucher still works out cheaper than the Steam USD price.

Certainly worth it.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

It is worth every cent. I've put close to 60 hours since release... Terrifying.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'm only 21hrs in ... still, about $1/hr. Only Assetto Corsa can top this for value, lately :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Might have to grab it. I used to love sim city back in the day. Thanks guys.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Worth the money Dex, 31 hours in it according to Steam for me,

Just started my 4th city even though I had about 16 hours in the last city, I just wasn't happy with how I laid it out so it was scrapped, I keep learning little things here and there that makes me want to start over. :D
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Installed the Dynamic Resolution and turned it up to max. 2 whole frames per second :rofl:

125% looks quite nice
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Interesting, I've tried it now, too, but I don't think it makes much of a difference. It looks nicer, but not *that* much. The main effect is that it has somehow removed most of the DoF effect, which is very nice.
If I was running full-screen on one monitor, I think I could easily get away with 200% on the 970SLI, but since I hate to switch things too much on-off...30fps at 200%. ~5-8 on maximum.

Here are the pics to compare if you care.

Oh, and I've started a new city, too :)

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

First bug squash patch.

15.8 mb

1.0.6b - Patch notes
  • Windows: dependencies to the visual studio runtime have been removed. Addresses the issue where ColossalNative.dll would fail to load for users missing/having wrong msvcrt dlls.
  • Windows/OSX: fixed an issue where some users would not have permissions to access an user folder
  • Linux: fixed some cases where the first time launch would show the game half way out of the screen on dual monitors
  • Linux: various runtime optimizations
  • Linux: hopefully fixed the performance problems and the log spam, we were unable to reproduce that issue so this is a bit of a blindfolded fix
  • Linux: added support for $XDG_DATA_HOME. If you are using a custom path for XDG and already played the game on that machine, you will need to manually move the user files from the default folder ~/.local/share/ColossalOrder/Cities_Skylines to $XDG_DATA_HOME/Colossal Order/Cities_Skylines
  • Mac/Linux: fixed a crash when selecting a building in the Asset importer
  • All platforms: added some debug info which may be useful when trying to help users in trouble
  • All platforms: added support for -screen-height & -screen-width and lowered severity of argument error unsupported launch options so they would cause the new game button to be greyed
  • Modding API: fixed OnCalculateResidentialDemand, OnCalculateCommercialDemand and OnCalculateWorkplaceDemand to call their respective counterpart properly. Also fixed for office buildings calling industrial level up.
  • nerfed parks decreasing commercial demand
  • road upgrade tool now works between two-way and one-way roads and right mouse-button changes direction of one-way roads
  • building effect radius is more accurate
  • added a Film grain slider in the Graphics options, like for the Tilt shift. (Users with the Disable Film Grain mod subscribed from Steam workshop and enabled will be notified with a "Console warning" when the game start and the game will
  • automatically disable the mod and set the film grain amount to 0 so that no action from users is required apart from closing the Console panel).
  • added a chirper volume slider in the Audio options
  • intro screen can be skipped with mouse click or key press
  • fixed a case where an error would occur if the Source folder was not found while sharing a Mod to the workshop
  • fixed Publish workshop panel caption to not always show Savegame regardless which asset type was selected
  • killed the clicking sounds that could be heard on a quiet night during full moon and near the end of the loading screen
  • buildings uploaded to the workshop will now go to their respective tags automatically. (Buildings already on the workshop will not, we are currently investigating how to make it happen without users having to do anything about it)
  • fixed holding down mouse button and release over ui keeps some tools active
  • fixed tooltip stays visible when using shortcut to open area view
  • fixed parking spaces still working for burned down buildings.
  • fixed mouse raycast use normal mesh for burned down buildings.
  • removed airplane engine sound from unlockpanel...
  • fixed minor text issues in different languages
  • fixed wrong tree shadow alpha with pollution or water
  • fixed bulldozeing ship/airplane paths in map editor even when they are not visible
  • fixed pedestrian bridge color slightly wrong from far distance
Last edited by r8response on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Ya, road upgrade tool.

Any one playing around with Automatic Bulldoze mod?

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ