Thunderbirds Are Go

Chat about stuff you've seen
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Thunderbirds Are Go

Post by Exar Kun »

So this has just started up and actually offers a nice bit of nostalgia for those of us that grew up with the original at 6:30 or whatever it was on Saturday mornings. I've got the DVD box set still sitting out in the garage. It's been rehashed for the newer generation, of course but it's not as bad as it could be. They've gone for an interesting path with CGI characters and effects over real miniature sets so it still retain some of the flavour of the original. You still get the over-sized water droplets for all of the ocean scenes, for example.

I'm not sold on the CGI - the characters appear to be deliberately poorly animated in some ways to mimic the marionette puppets. It's all a bit faster paced these days too. Anyway, it's out on the usual channels. Not worth watching on your own but good for sitting down with the kids.

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Thunderbirds Are Go

Post by norbs »

I watched the first double ep. There is something that annoyed me about it. Not sure what. Maybe I am just a cranky old fucker, but the original will all be the best.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
hutchy

Post by hutchy »

Their hair do's annoy me......
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

If it's not supermarionation, it's not the Thunderbirds (or Captain Scarlet, or Joe 90 or Stingray or Fireball XL5)

Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

I'll have to give this a watch when it airs down here on sunday night, at the moment I'm re-watching the original 32 episodes and I'm constantly amazed at how good the show is compared to what I noticed as a kid, I hope the new writers and animators can do a half-decent tribute to the original.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Durrie wrote:If it's not supermarionation, it's not the Thunderbirds (or Captain Scarlet, or Joe 90 or Stingray or Fireball XL5)

^^ (points at Durrie) ^^

What he said. :iagree:

Oddly enough, I'm tempted but it won't be the same.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

After watching the trailer, I'll give it a wide berth. Looks shit!
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

Watched the first episode, I counted at least four rescues occuring in the episode, very fast paced too and a few non-tracy brother characters have undergone the typical race-personality change that all old shows go through, sadly they've removed all of the oriental characters in exchange for mixing skin colours.
Plot-wise it was a good for a modern show, referenced a lot of Lord Parkers 'Oliday and one of the Thunderbirds comics that was written in the 60's.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.