DiRT Rally

General game chat
Bauer

Re: DiRT Rally

Post by Bauer »

I had a similar issue. Turned out to be an id10t error. My shifter was in 3rd or something like that.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
--------------
Stu
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Honestly I wouldn't refund it. They need to improve the menu. But it is in beta, I'm sure that will happen. Sucks that you can't play it, but I'm sure they will iron out the issues with updates, and it's only going to increase in price. As you said you can refund a beta at any time. So why not just wait and see how it goes. It really is that good of a driving experience that it's worth persisting with. Unless like norbs, rally just isn't your cuppa.

Seems I'm fairly lucky. I've had no issues at this point.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Bauer wrote:I had a similar issue. Turned out to be an id10t error. My shifter was in 3rd or something like that.
I've no shifter. Besides, it does not happen immediately, it starts after a random amount of time (1-2 minutes) in-game.

Dex: if I can't iron this out very quickly, I'll get a refund, and then I can re-purchase anytime if I want to. Otherwise it'll get forgotten. It's simple practicality :)
I don't really care about a couple of $$$ if it goes up - if it's good, after all.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
petey

Post by petey »

Bauer wrote: I will spring for that car and am already doing the standard weekly challenge.

You blokes need to get on these challenges.
I really can't be bothered grinding through cars I don't want to drive to pay for the ones in these challenges.

Is there something I'm missing or is it just a case of persisting through the crap first?
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I've tried it again, this time on triple screens though. Amazingly it worked. I bet the game could not tolerate running on one screen out of the three, somehow.

It's fun, altho sometimes feels a bit weird, unusual. RBR felt more natural to me.
Visibility is often crazy bad, I've gone into the trees a few times simply due to that. :)
Also the pace notes are sometimes way off, and very late or very early (within the same run!). That cost me a few times, too.

So, Bauer, why are the challenges good? What do you get out of them?

p.s. whoever created the menu controls was a total nutcase. No mouse on a PC, and you get numbered buttons to navigate, the numbers being somewhat arbitrarily assigned to certain wheel controls (eg button 5 is the shifter up)...Complete craziness. And of course you need to hit different numbers to do very similar stuff around the menu.
I could take this from a tiny dev company with some idiot at the wheels, but from such a big company this is simply unacceptable. It flies into the face of the most basic rules.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

ysu, you are aware it's early access beta right? I have the same concerns regarding the menus, and it's been posted in this thread before by a couple of us.

There's no doubt RBR is a benchmark, but I feel like this update is at the very least just equaled it in terms of physics and car handling. Specially the 2010 cars. Pure bliss to drive. Apart from that, there's improvements to be made. I'm sure they know that. It's all part of a beta release. I think you have to play a beta game with the right mindset.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

ysu wrote: So, Bauer, why are the challenges good? What do you get out of them?
I think it is just the human element. Doing a rally against the AI, and doing well is rewarding but putting yourself up against all the other players is different again.

Last months monthly challenge saw me placed ~250th. I also dont have tonnes of time for gaming so when I do, these challenges suit my needs. Some days I just log on and do the daily challenge and thats it. I build up my credits for buying other cars that I dont own that I can use in the next weekly/monthly challenges.

i guess it gives me some direction in what car to buy etc.

I have been taking notice lately of my pace against the fastest time too. I think I am about 8-10 seconds per minute off the pace (if the fastest time is 6 minutes, Im doing it in 7ish) which is quite a difference.
--------------
Stu
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

You're still better than me; I've tried and was half a minute behind you :)

Altho I haven't raced the more modern cars at all, yet.

On the keyboard issue, wrap your head around this, guys - if you can;
This issue is a persistent one since early dirt series. It usually manifests itself as a keyboard lockup. And the devs don't give a flying fuck about it.
On logitec G110 and microsoft600 keyboards it's prominent, but I've seen a report of a different keyboard, too.
Solution for the problem? None. They don't even acknowledge it, despite the numerous reports on very specific hardware & 100% repeat rate (so it should be rather easy to fix).

As I said, they can't code for shit. They shall be renamed codelamers :)
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

Multiplayer races are coming in August!
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.