Windows 10

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
DarrenM

Re: Windows 10

Post by DarrenM »

Going to grab a new ssd tomorrow and install on that using the iso. Want to keep my win7 system until I know everything works. Particularly the rift which apparently only works on an upgraded system.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Can someone clarify for me, do you have to do the upgrade first using a win7/8, or will a win7/8 key activate a clean install from the Win10 iso image straight off the bat?
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Cheers EJ, will have a read of that later.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

fucking laptop failed again and my net is so slow. Anyone got a win 10 pro key they don't need so i can install it off an iso lol
Hello :aussie:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

For clean install.
Win7 or below, you need a key.
Win8/8.1 No key, as it should be using the UEFI bios and OS is locked to that Mobo.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

wobblysauce wrote:For clean install.
Win7 or below, you need a key.
Win8/8.1 No key, as it should be using the UEFI bios and OS is locked to that Mobo.
That's making an assumption that all Win8/8.1 systems are running a motherboard with UEFI support, which is incorrect. For example, my main system runs a GA-890FXA-UD7 motherboard (which has BIOS).
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I'm thinking can i burn the iso i downloaded the other day and run the upgrade from that? The laptop doesnt support boot from usb booo
Enforcer-J

Re: RE: Re: Windows 10

Post by Enforcer-J »

Shaun wrote:I'm thinking can i burn the iso i downloaded the other day and run the upgrade from that? The laptop doesnt support boot from usb booo
I dont think so... from what I understand you have to have a copy of windows 7/8 on your system already which is what MS identifies to allow the upgrade. You can clean install afterwards as they keep a record of your hardware once its upgraded (could they just use the MAC adress instead of a key buried in the uefi??)

I'm not sure how it works if you buy a new system and install a retail version (is there even one?) Perhaps you need a key then, or maybe it does it automatically by checking against against the hardware and only allows one install from that copy.

im just spitballing here!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

You see what I am doing is running the dvd whilst in windows therefore still using the Upgrade this pc option. So far its at 36% if it doesn't work back to windows 7. Windows 7 feels out dated going from the pc on win 10 to the laptop on 7 haha
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Shaun wrote:You see what I am doing is running the dvd whilst in windows therefore still using the Upgrade this pc option. So far its at 36% if it doesn't work back to windows 7. Windows 7 feels out dated going from the pc on win 10 to the laptop on 7 haha
Ahh k let us know how you go :) im wary of doing this on the pc as whilst upgrades have been marked, it may not be activated... if that makes sense.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Shaun wrote:You see what I am doing is running the dvd whilst in windows therefore still using the Upgrade this pc option. So far its at 36% if it doesn't work back to windows 7. Windows 7 feels out dated going from the pc on win 10 to the laptop on 7 haha
This should be fine as you launched the install process from Windows. The problems come up when you boot off a USB / DVD and start the process from power on / restart (from my understanding).
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Still a no go, not sure wtf is wrong with this fucking laptop but it is currently restoring my previous version of windows. To the internets!
edit this is the error message i get the installation failed in the safe_os phase with an error during Install_recovery_environment operation
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

AstrO wrote:
This should be fine as you launched the install process from Windows. The problems come up when you boot off a USB / DVD and start the process from power on / restart (from my understanding).
So does that mean I could do the same thing even though my windows 10 icon says it isnt yet ready to be downloaded but I have downloaded onto a usb via the ms website?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Enforcer-J wrote:So does that mean I could do the same thing even though my windows 10 icon says it isnt yet ready to be downloaded but I have downloaded onto a usb via the ms website?
In theory yes (but I haven't tested it). Hopefully I'll get a chance to test this tonight... unless I'm racing in FNF (after I drop the other half off and I get the boy to bed).

You can always try this in the meantime... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b51?auth=1
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Should work EN-j as long as ur comp isnt a pos like the misses laptop seems to be lol
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

DarrenM wrote:Going to grab a new ssd tomorrow and install on that using the iso. Want to keep my win7 system until I know everything works. Particularly the rift which apparently only works on an upgraded system.
Yeah I hadn't thought about the rift, given that I can't use direct mode with iRacing with any runtime from 5 onwards it looks like I'll be with Win 7 at least until CV1 release.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

thanks, I may aswell wait anyway, Im hoping to race tonight too so better to be safe than sorry :)
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Only an hour to sort out my sound in Win 10. Had to reinstall sound blaster drivers for my card after a lot of fucking around.

I'm so use to 8.1 that 10 feels odd. It's like it's gone backwards in it's interface. But I was use to swapping to metro via the windows key. It' will grow on me but I have a lot of playing around with settings now to get it looking right.

Only issue was my sound card, so far. Yet to play any games or use my G-25.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Astro, that is correct.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Gawd, I'm struggling through this ridiculous launch. Clicked 'Get Windows 10' from the task bar expecting a download to start... how wrong i was! Put in some kind of a queue? What sort of update process is this? An update before doing a clean install is annoying enough, but getting it to update is crazy in the first place.

Anyway, been reading through this helpful thread when I realised it wasn't so straight forward. Found the delete files, run the CMD command while it's checking for updates hack. Failed for me. Decided to go grab the download tool... "Something Happened" ................. ok? You wot m8? I didn't know if this was meant to build suspense or some kind of actual error message. Turns out it's not a good thing. I'm guessing you guys have been through all this already though.

For anyone who doesn't know how to get around it, this seems to have worked for me (downloading now). Head to Control Panel, 'clock, language, and region', click on 'change location', head to 'administrative', 'change system locale', and set it to English (US). I had to do a restart, and then in the task bar make sure i selected US, and then download the tool thingo again, and click 'upgrade'. Hopefully I've jumped the waiting in a queue BS.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Mine worked fine. D/L in the background and was ready for me to launch it. Took 20 mins to install.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

You got lucky by the sounds of it.

Did you reserve a download a while back?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

If you are having issues getting the update to install, just use the registry hack that was posted by the Microsoft guy here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... b51?auth=1

It has worked on 2 laptops so far, without any issues (the previous hack to delete the content of the xxx/downloads folder didn't work on any system and always caused a failed update).