Re: BBC iPlayer blocks VPNs

Post by DexterPunk »

:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

That'll teach you for threatening to disassociate the Queen.

But seriously, I'd guess there are two reasons behind this.

The first is probably down to the Government making a lot of anti-BBC noises. Cameron is mates with Murdoch but I'm sure it's a coincidence that his papers have been sent on the attack recently. The licence fee is under threat so the BBC needs to look at generating revenue in other ways.

Secondly - although possibly related - the BBC has to react to the shift towards subscriber networks. Netflix, Amazon, NowTV, plus devices like Chromecast, AppleTV and Roku are all changing our viewing habits and if the BBC doesn't respond it could have the wool pulled from under it.

They're in a bit of a state at the moment, frankly. I've always defended the BBC and the licence fee structure simply because British TV has been among the best in the world for overall quality.

However, there's very little to shout about coming from the Beeb these days. It's obsession with political correctness is reducing the quality of its programming. Sitcoms are now situation first, comedy second, in order to tick the correct boxes. Their solution to appealing to the youth market is to appeal to idiots. Despite their progressive attitude it still feels like white men in suits deciding everything.

The default defence is BBC documentaries but although the big stuff can still be magnficient, the average quality is lower.

Personally I think you get a good gauge of the confidence and quality of a broadcaster from its comedy, and it's some time since the BBC created a world class comedy.

Over here it is Channel 4 that's producing the boldest, bravest and most creative TV.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Yep, blocked my VPN.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Worked for me last night.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]