New Beast (now Toyota 86 discussion)

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: New Beast (now Toyota 86 discussion)

Post by DexterPunk »

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

If they ended up pretty even in price then I think I'd go for the Porsche just going on face value, the Supra looks like it will be a decent amount cheaper (~$5k??) and it could drive like a dream but if spending that sort of money it'd be hard not to go for a Porsche.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'd go for the bimmer of all these I think. As I've mentioned I'm not a porky person :)
But I think I'll pass entirely, and buy my teenage dream car; the Dodge Viper :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I’d likely pic all the other options over the Supra. I’d love a Cayman though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

So I got a recall notice a few weeks ago to replace the valve springs in the motor, having a read online there are many reports of the engine dying not long after due to a poor job being done by the techs. So I'm in a bit of a quandary at the moment on whether to actually get it done or not. I suppose I should call the dealership and ask them but being Darwin I wonder how many of these repairs they've done, if any. If something does go wrong I could see them blaming some of the mods I've done like the header and tune.

The other thing is the wife is pregnant with our first child so I've been having to think about how practical it is to keep the car. In 3-4 months she probably won't be able to get in or out of the car and then while putting a child seat in there is possible, it will be a major pain. We could get something cheap second hand as something makeshift for 6-12 months but I'm beginning to think we might just have to sell it and buy a Cerato or something like that. If we do sell it then I'll probably want to return it to stock as much as possible, at least put the old suspension in and put the old header back on if I can (the sensor was cross threaded so I'm not sure if I can clean the threads up and get another one in there).

This still leaves the recall issue, I'm tempted to sell it and let someone else deal with it but that might play on my conscience a bit.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Sell it but tell them you didn't do the recall because you can't be bothered (since you want to sell it) - it's in their court, then.
I think that's an honest solution.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Sarsippius wrote:The other thing is the wife is pregnant with our first child so I've been having to think about how practical it is to keep the car. In 3-4 months she probably won't be able to get in or out of the car and then while putting a child seat in there is possible, it will be a major pain. .
Sell up now and prepare for the next stage of your life. Child seat is one thing, but you're forgetting the pram and baby bag. Going shopping and needing the pram? You'll have no room at all :rofl:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I’m sure it will be tough to see it go. You only have to spend a little while driving something else before jumping back into a 86/BRZ and realising how damn good they are. But I really can’t see it working well with a bub arriving. I’d sell it before the recall work too, and as mentioned I’d say you didn’t get around to it and too much going on with the baby coming.

If you go back to stock, and have a cat back on it, I might be interested in buying that. I always wanted to do the headers but I’m too worried about messing up my warranty.

Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

To be honest I'm not sure I will miss it all that much, to a degree I've kinda scratched that itch with this car. Maybe it's the roads in Darwin but for everyday driving you just don't need a car like this, you're not able to use it's potential 99% of the time. If the track days were better up here and I was doing those semi regularly I might feel different and in 5 years time I will probably look back on it with rose tinted glasses, thinking about the good old days lol

It's a bit like when I had my bike, riding around Darwin was boring so occasionally I'd make the 40min ride to the only decent road in the region (Litchfield National Park) and well the last time I came back was in an Ambulance hehe, that last part doesn't apply here so much although it did temper any hoon tendencies I had :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

TBH I'm thinking of changing cars, too. The problem is; I'm getting worse in the motion sickness department. :(

I just need a bit more dough to do an upgrade swap, so it maybe a year off, still.

But I'll need someone to take it "as is"; track prepared & tuned. I can't be bothered to change it all back, even though I've got the orig parts here.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Sorry to hear your motion sickness giving you such trouble.

So yesterday I ordered a new car, a Honda Civic RS Hatch in Sonic Grey. It's probably not my first choice but it's the one both the wife and I are happy with. She was determined to get some sort of SUV so I can look at it as a victory of sorts. :) The Toyota CH-R was high on her list and that's a nice car too but when I finally got her to drive a few sedans/hatches she saw the light so to speak, well lets just say she relented :)

We drove a few different cars in this small car/suv segment, if it were only up to me I probably would have gone for the Cerato GT. For the price, the performance of the motor, transmission and suspension and all the features it has it really can't be beaten. The wife just couldn't get past the looks though, the Civic RS has a sportier look that she likes, I would have gone for the Civic VTi-L which still has the 1.5L turbo motor and more boot space but she wanted that central twin exhaust lol.
The new Mazda 3 was also really nice and the NA 2.5 performed nicely in my opinion, we drove it straight after the Civic and I didn't find it lacking in comparison even though the Civic has much more torque down low. The interior of the 3 is very nice but it loses out a bit for practicality in comparison with less room in the rear and the boot.
At one point I was starting to think we shouldn't use so much of our own money for a deposit and get something quite a bit cheaper. The base model Impreza started to intrigue me a bit as it seems quite good value with a few extra features compared to others at that price whereas it loses out a bit vs higher specs from other cars with more powerful motors. I didn't get a chance to drive one though so I may not have liked it.

In the end the Civic RS ticked enough boxes for both of us. I'm not that impressed with the look but it's growing on me a bit and in a few colours, such as what we went for it's not too bad. We both found the interior very nice, I would probably prefer cloth seats if I had a choice but it feels roomy inside and the boot space is not too bad, but not as good as something like the Cerato. It feels quite nice to drive, it handles pretty well and the motor, while not earth shattering has a bit of go to it. The CVT doesn't really phase me, I drive my 86 in auto 99% of the time anyway, the paddles are a gimmick which I'll probably never use. I probably don't sound that enthused but I am looking forward to it arriving which should be in about four weeks.

I think I'm ready for something a bit different, I really like the 86 but if I had my time again I'd probably just leave it completely stock, the UEL header is probably the one thing that's really worth doing but even then it's kinda wasted for a daily car. Unfortunately it was also involved in an accident the other day which is a real kicker, some off duty taxi driver didn't stop as my wife pulled up to a t intersection and rear ended her. It doesn't look that bad and there's no real structural damage but the guys I got to quote for insurance sent it through today and it's $8,700 :eyepop: $3.5k of that is just parts, basically a new bumper, bootlid, part of the body under the boot, glad I'm not paying for it lol but thankfully it will end up good as new. Just in time for my 18yr old brother in-law to buy it :rofl:
I think I'm going to have to take him to a few Motorkhanas so he can at least get a feel for the car and not wrap himself around a power pole or something. They're not a super powerful car but turn off the traction control and with the extra torque from the header a young bloke can definitely get himself in trouble. I'd advise him to get something else but who would I be kidding, trying to tell an 18yr old to buy something more sensible lol.

Sorry this turned into a bit of an essay :faint:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Nice choice there, mate.
Sarsippius wrote: I think I'm going to have to take him to a few Motorkhanas so he can at least get a feel for the car and not wrap himself around a power pole or something. They're not a super powerful car but turn off the traction control and with the extra torque from the header a young bloke can definitely get himself in trouble. I'd advise him to get something else but who would I be kidding, trying to tell an 18yr old to buy something more sensible lol.
Errr...a 160-ish kW is actually pretty darn powerful. it's ~220HP. When I was learning to drive, this was dream car territory. Can I just mention that a 1.6L golf was 'hell, you got a powerful car' (70HP).
And keeping in mind this car is light & was tuned to turn on throttle, it's surprisingly easy to get up to high speed & lose it, even on dry, clean tarmac.

It's very nice of you to take the young one out and educate him; it may well save his life (or at least the wallet). Any spirited driving event will do him good.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It’s only recent times that a 200+ hp car that weighs 1250kg would be considered under powered. Perceptions change relative to what’s on offer I guess. I hope he’s a level headed kid, because I’m absolutely sure I’d have caused myself trouble in this car at 18.

I’m currently driving around the UK in a Skoda Fabia... if anyone thinks an 86/BRZ is slow, they should drive one of these around for a while. On a side note, I have not seen one 86/BRZ in 1500 miles of driving here. Weird.