World Endurance Championship 2016

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Re: World Endurance Championship 2016

Post by bengatta »

Hz-Lab wrote:I've got a Le-mans trip worked in to my 5 year plan lol. Probably no 1 on my Motorsport bucket list
Keep me up to speed with planning... It's on my list as is an Indy 500...

I reckon woodsy should really start saving for real... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

The last year or two I've been seriously considering heading over and meeting up with Durbs. It might be time to actually do it.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I'm going to U.S. Either later this year or early 2017, so realistically speaking, I'd be looking at 2018. I'd be mad keen to share the trip with some fellow arse's.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

w00dsy wrote:The last year or two I've been seriously considering heading over and meeting up with Durbs. It might be time to actually do it.
Next month it will be ten years since we came all that way just to see you, and I've been on at you to come this way ever since.

I'd say it's about bloody time :D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Former F1 driver Kamui Kobayashi has been confirmed as Alexander Wurz's replacement in the Toyota LMP1 squad for the 2016 season.
Kobayashi will race alongside Mike Conway and Stephane Sarrazin for the 2016 season, as the trio intend to make up for Toyota's lackluster 2015 campaign with the all new TS050 HYBRID car.

Since his last appearance in Formula 1 in 2014 Kobayashi has been keeping sharp by combining a testing role at Toyota with a seat in the Japanese Super Formula series, where he placed 5th overall last season. Meanwhile he came very close to replacing Nakajima for the Le Mans 24 Hours after his fellow countryman recovered from a heavy crash sustained in a practice session for the 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps.
Kobayashi has previously raced in the WEC of course, having driven for the Ferrari AF Corse outfit following his dismissal from the Sauber F1 team following the 2012 season.

In addition to announcing Kobayashi's promotion, Toyota also have revealed their new liveries for Toyota GAZOO Racing's various racing endeavors, with the team abandoning their blue liveries in favour of a red, white and black colour scheme
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

gee i hope audi change their colors a little bit...
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

This year’s Le Mans 24 Hours will equal the record for the biggest ever, with 60 cars on the grid for the world’s most famous sportscar race.

The grid’s capacity has been expanded by four cars for 2016, thanks to new garages being constructed at the end of the pitlane.

This matches the 60-car grids that were run in the 1950s – most recently in 1955.

“This is really good news,” said Automobile Club de l’Ouest president Pierre Fillon. “We’ve decided to open all four garages, instead of the two we originally planned [for 2016], so we will have an incredible grid of 60 cars. We’ve not seen that for a long while."

The news was announced at the annual press conference in Paris, which was livestreamed by Motorsport.com.
Overall favourites trim their entries

As previously announced, Porsche and Audi have trimmed their entries from three cars each to two in the top LMP1 hybrid class. Porsche will run the numbers 1 and 2 on its cars this year, in deference to its World Endurance Championship title of last year.

Toyota will continue to run two cars, as usual.

Swiss team Rebellion Racing (two cars) and the Austrian ByKolles Racing Team also field privateer LMP1 entries.

In LMP2, there is a huge 22-car entry, coupled with 14 cars each in LMGTE Pro and Am.
Ford gets all four entries accepted

The other headline news from the announcement was that all four factory Ford GTs have been accepted on to the Le Mans grid, on the 50th anniversary of the manufacturer’s famous victory over Ferrari in 1966. Ford then went on to win the event outright for four consecutive events.

"This is a big deal for Ford, we're dealing with 50 years of heritage," said Ford's Dave Pericak. "It means the world to us."

The two cars that regularly race in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship will join the pair of WEC contenders, which carries a significant challenge to regulars Porsche (two factory cars plus Dempsey entry), Ferrari (two works cars plus American Risi entry), Chevrolet (two) and Aston Martin (two).

Aston Martin chief David Richards said: "The GT category is always incredibly competitive, I think it's going to be harder-fought than ever before."
Wurz to be Grand Marshal

Recently-retired sportscar ace Alex Wurz is to fulfill the role of grand marshal of the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2016, following on from Tom Kristensen last year.

“I was terribly honoured and I instantly said yes, I simply love Le Mans,” said Wurz. “It has never changed and always remained true to itself. It’s one day of the drivers’ lives racing against each other.”
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Former F1 duo John Booth and Graeme Lowdon have confirmed the ongoing rumours over their racing future after revealing they intend to enter the LMP2 category in the World Endurance Championship under the Manor name.

Having resigned from the Manor Formula 1 team at the end of last season, many people close to both Booth and Lowdon began to talk of a potential WEC endeavour, and indeed the team will compete in the full WEC season.

Manor will field a Nissan powered Oreca 05 chassis and have already confirmed former Manor Formula 3 driver, Tor Graves, as their first driver.

On the announcement Booth told reporters, "We are delighted to be joining the World Endurance Championship' and that 'the level of competition is very high and we are really looking forward to racing again."

The 2016 WEC season kicks off on April 17.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

BMX Bloke aka Alex Wurz wrote:
“It has never changed and always remained true to itself”
Staggering ignorance in that statement. Whilst the ACO has commendably resisted the scourge of 'nannification' better than most. To say it has never changed is just utter horseshit. As is the case with all modern Motorsport it is but a pale shadow of its former greatness.

As for its 'Spirit' that was thrown away when they ditched their own iconic start procedure. All because some idiot didnt bother to do up his own belts and later paid for it with his life. No one was ever seriously injured doing a Le Mans start.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Silverstone this weekend. I hope the red white and black team wins!

This year the season subscription gives access to race replays for 3 weeks after the event in 1 hour chunks. Only on the app though, not on the PC. It supports chromecast and airplay, and the account is cross platform.

In app prices:
$7.41 per race (live only I think)
$37.09 season without Le Mans
$51.93 full season

Was able to get the races in HD off youtube last year, but it would be nice to not have to deal with unreliable streams when watching live.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

It's a bit more expensive this year :(

I'm sure I'll sign up though.

Todd
eek
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Wow, that's awfully tempting, but I fear I won't be able to make sure I'm home that long to watch the races live.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Audi front row, I doubt anyone saw that coming.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

They had snow at the circuit yesterday.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Toyota are miles off. I guess we won't see a repeat of last years amazing race.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Sweet.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Unfortunately I was at the last corner when the big crash happened so didn't see it.
My Flickr Stream
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I'll finish going through my pics tonight. Good race to watch but you have little idea of what's going on aside from the lead 3 with their door lights on.
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Some of many pics.

My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Great pics Kev. That first one might become wallpaper :yes:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Nice pics Kev. Were you up on The Wing balcony to get the Rebellion shot? I can't quite figure out how you did it.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Some farken phenomenal shots there Kev :) Did you get any of the Gulf 911 by any chance?

These prototypes are starting to grow on me. I reckon if they pissed off those hideous dorsal fins they'd look pretty sexy.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill