Nvidia Pascal

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: Nvidia Pascal

Post by wobblysauce »

Ok, the Founder edition is the new name for the Reference card for nVidia, and are to stay in the market as long as the 1070/80 is relevant.
Most are going to be around that price with custom board partners, even with the Minimum Retail price set at $100 lower.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

1080 Reviews are out! It sure has some grunt, I'm still not sure I want to game at 4K, but I can finally think about a new 2560x1440 monitor when the time comes and know a 1080 will kill it at that resolution, still looking for 1070 info which is probably a price point I can justify.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Yep, looking the goods. 4K is a lot of pixels to push around, but if you're willing to dial a couple of small things back, you'll get good frame rates out of it.

I've been using 2560x1440 for years and even at that res, you really can start to dial back Anti Alias settings as the resolution is so good. I imagine that's even more relevant with 4K.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Haha I'm only being forced to go up in resolution because of the monitors available these days, I am using a 9 year old Dell 2707WFP 27 inch with a res of 1920x1200, I can't see the pixels on that so a higher resolution is of little use to me anyway, but I can now go 2560x1440 and not have to deal with the frame rate tanking when the time comes, 4K is just a gimmick to me suited to 50"+ displays, I can't see a need for it when you sit 2 feet away.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Totally agree. There's no point unless you're sitting on top of your screen or it is a big ass screen.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

If anyone wants an MSI 970 4G let me know. Ill be selling it very soon
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

So my computer supplier has told me they have cards arriving in June, I should have a quote in two weeks for the new desktop they are building for me. I have asked for two quotes, first one will be a single gpu, second for the 1080 in SLI. Only looking at that option to future proof my ridiculously expensive tv. I will share specs and prices then. Desktop is pretty simple apart from that being an unlocked I7 and SDD in raid array, separate disk for storage.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Wow! Doom gameplay @ 2560x1440 on ultra settings, the 1080 kills this resolution.

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

As the PM says, exciting times to be alive.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

There goes my tax return
norbs

Post by norbs »

I wonder if the 1070 will drive triples ok for games like Doom?

Actually, I am not sure I would want Doom on triples. :)
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

norbs wrote:I wonder if the 1070 will drive triples ok for games like Doom?

Actually, I am not sure I would want Doom on triples. :)
Speak to your doctor, Valdoxin prevents nightmares :yes: :D

;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Looks like being double the performance of the 780Ti, especially at higher res which I need for VR.

It's been a long time since I've seen that big a performance jump from an upgrade :)
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Not wrong Darren, I went from the 460 to a 770 which was pretty much double, and it's looking like the 770 to 1070 may possibly be the same sort of jump.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

4k gaming is possible 5-10fps more then Titan/980ti, brings it up to playable for most, some are still sub 40-50fps.
But if you have a 4k screen.. could play at 1080p max everything, scaling it is great and looks spot on.

If you have VR/thinking about buying it.. the VR performance difference is visibly huge, silky smooth.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Fark!

http://videocardz.com/60265/nvidia-gefo ... benchmarks

1070 faster than the Titan X!
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

I dare say I'll be all over the 1070 on launch day if all the reviews land the same way!
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

NDA gets lifted tomorrow so Australian suppliers should have deets. I expect the prices to be somewhat shocking.

What is stop me ordering one from the US and having it sent here? Righty, care to take a bulk order?

;)
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Haha.

Honestly, I just don't think it would work out better for you.

Once you factor in shipping and all that business. I can't get those cheap shipping rates. You'd be looking at $150 minimum US for me to ship it back. Then depending on total value you'll probably end up with import duties. Plus, if it breaks, then you've got to ship the bastard back.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

All true points indeed. They certainly seem to know how to tax us for being an island continent don't they? bastards!

;)
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Righteous wrote:Plus, if it breaks, then you've got to ship the bastard back.
Outside of costs involved. Warranty would be the single biggest issue.

I'd have to dig through the pascal thread over on OCAU to find the info, but there is one GPU manufacturer that has a worldwide warranty.

EDIT: EVGA do worldwide warranty
Last edited by r8response on Thu May 26, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Some stores have been listing them for around 1200 for the founders edition which is ridiculous. They're just preying on the suckers.

The "founders edition" also sounds like a ripoff As far as I can find it's just a fancy shaped fan shroud. No performance difference.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

DarrenM wrote:Some stores have been listing them for around 1200 for the founders edition which is ridiculous. They're just preying on the suckers.

The "founders edition" also sounds like a ripoff As far as I can find it's just a fancy shaped fan shroud. No performance difference.
Is just the reference card, as stated before.. difference is there going to continue to sell the cards till the next model.
3rd party cards should start showing up from next week.

As for importing your own card, watch out for that $1000AUD mark or you will need to pay GST on that as well when it comes through customs. Most leave prices in USD to slip under the radar with the dollar this low.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

I recently imported around $20k worth of motorcycle parts from Carolina so I understand the tax, I was just trying to establish if it were cheaper because of the AU tax that companies immediately slap on us. There are cheaper options for shipping, two packages full of fairings and bits n bobs from Carolina was only $270. Each box was around 15kgs and 800x1000x1000 so I think there are alternatives.

Re the reference card, the housing, fan and back plate are actual hardware, so I can appreciate the cost. I just hate how it's passed on to the consumer.

;)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

$1200 is for a 1080FE right, not the 1070?
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."