Zwift.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Zwift.

Post by norbs »

There is a lot of choice no at least
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Game changer, well done Zwift.

I really hope other trainer manufacturers & virtual training platforms adopt this. If they do I really hope it can be retro-fitted to old trainers (like mine) not just newer models.

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Agree that it's a game changer. Biggest issue for me still is that the virtual shifting is done via the trainer software. Feels like too much hardware/software "lock-in" to me. I guess time will tell if this is actually an issue or not..
norbs

Post by norbs »

I wonder if you can whip the hoods off an old bike now if you can get the virtual gears going.

No need for a cassette is another plus.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

suspect you could put together a pretty barebones bike to run something on Zwift now... maybe a basic set of bullhorn bars and that Zwift One virtual gear thing and you're pretty much done
norbs

Post by norbs »

How long til the other manufacturers offer it?

I wonder if it could be offered on older trainers with a firmware update?
norbs

Post by norbs »

What has happened to AHDR? Last time I did it I am sure there was 400 people in it. Tonight, 100!

* I could only hang on for 2 laps * :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:28 pm What has happened to AHDR? Last time I did it I am sure there was 400 people in it. Tonight, 100!

i've only done it a few times (and relatively recently), but i reckon the most i saw was 100 in my grade.. maybe.. I reckon there has been a steady decline in riders. I wonder if some of their price rises has been taking a bit of a toll?

for what it's worth .. hanging on for 2 laps is better than sitting on the couch .. well played :yes:
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:30 pm
norbs wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:28 pm What has happened to AHDR? Last time I did it I am sure there was 400 people in it. Tonight, 100!

i've only done it a few times (and relatively recently), but i reckon the most i saw was 100 in my grade.. maybe.. I reckon there has been a steady decline in riders. I wonder if some of their price rises has been taking a bit of a toll?

for what it's worth .. hanging on for 2 laps is better than sitting on the couch .. well played :yes:
Im trying to build up some fitness to do the Great Vic Bike ride end of November. So no real choice.

I think the fact there are SO MANY events these days has lessened the amount of riders. I remember looking at events and there would be 3 or 4 in an afternoon that would be available. Now I am scrolling forever.

More need to stick to the advertised w/kg though. Last night the flew up a hill at 3w/kg. A few years back that was ok for me, but not now trying to build my fitness.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I'll be interested in how you go on the Great Vic Bike Ride. As I understand it, there's typically a few thousand riders? I suspect I'd last a day before losing my shit :D

If you like that style of event but want fewer people, have a look at some of the BikeSA events. They cap theirs at 200 riders.

People in Zwift rides not sticking to the advertised W/kg is a long standing issue and is one reason i don't typically bother with Zwift events. There's always those few heroes that smash the group. I actually find the pace partners are pretty good for a hit out. You know exactly what sort of w/kg range you are going to get
norbs

Post by norbs »

I am only doing the 4 day ride, so i should be able to remain calm. It will be how I cope with camping that might break me.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:38 am I am only doing the 4 day ride, so i should be able to remain calm. It will be how I cope with camping that might break me.
hot tip.. bring earplugs. :nod:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs

Post by norbs »

I wonder if Stage 5 is open now?

That's a no. :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Zwift is now offering a yearly subscription if you're looking to save a little bit of coin.
norbs

Post by norbs »

About damned time too
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Price increase announced for Zwift .. <sigh>
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Get onto IndieVelo...

Free while in Beta...
Developed by 2 ex-Zwift employees
Basically a non-gameified version of Zwift (no Levels, No XP, minimal equip selection)
Workouts section / import from other services as well as capability to use Zwift workout .zwo files
Pacer Bots (like Zwift)
AI Bots, they train on the service & have attributes like real humans (sprinter, climber, TT, etc), always someone to ride/race with.

Ride / Race tactically:
- the wind affects rider behavior & speed.
- Braking into corners if going to fast & chooses line though corner based on speed. Too fast & you are on the outside line / long way around.
- AI bots will fill out race / ride events if spots open
Don't waste precious watts!!

Just don't expect to see many real humans, especially in our time-zones
So not much of a community especially while riding
Also don't expect flashy graphics, I believe it uses UE but is sparse on details

Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I actually signed up to it when i saw your rides popping up on Strava :) I haven't actually ridden on it yet though. I think it'll run okay on my Android tablet, though it looked a bit chunky when i fired it up. potentially i could fire up an old PC to try it out..

MyWhoosh is another free option.

To be honest, i could probably just save a bunch of money by paying for the months I use and pausing my sub on the months i don't
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

CLP wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:35 pm To be honest, i could probably just save a bunch of money by paying for the months I use and pausing my sub on the months i don't
Yep totally & that is what I am doing now for Zwift & will do for iRacing once my current sub expires.
The cost of living crisis suck balls... :(
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:11 pm
CLP wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:35 pm To be honest, i could probably just save a bunch of money by paying for the months I use and pausing my sub on the months i don't
Yep totally & that is what I am doing now for Zwift & will do for iRacing once my current sub expires.
The cost of living crisis suck balls... :(
Its shit that it is affecting people I know and thought were cruising along.

I use it far to often to drop, but can understand why people will. I pay yearly so its about $25/month. I found trying the others was a ball ache, but I might have a look see again. But Zwift does everything I want, and I can ride with mates too.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

i think i use it just barely enough to want to keep it... but i can certainly go a few months without logging into Zwift. I suspect there's a bit of a laziness tax involved for me and i'll probably just switch to the yearly sub and be done with it.

I do wish that some of the other platforms would gain more traction with users, but i get the feeling that it's beginning to become a lost cause. eg. RGT was pretty good, but even at the price of zero dollars they couldn't drag people across from Zwift. even with the backing of Wahoo they couldn't gain more traction. maybe people like paying for things? <rant over>