Brexit

all the ARSE dribble
Montey

Re: Brexit

Post by Montey »

norbs wrote:If this isnt just another FB hoax, I feel for these people.

I call bullshit.

As David Cameron said last night in his speech to the UK parliament.... Article 50 will not be triggered for some time yet, and until the negotiations for exit are completed and agreed then the status quo remains in place; Great Britain remains a full member of the EU until the negotiations are completed and agreed so nothing changes for at least 12 months, but more likely 2 years. All existing travel arrangements, all existing trade arrangements, all existing financial & economic agreements; all agreements, obligations, treaties, rights, etc. remain active and valid until the process is completed.

Reading the replies, the original complainant is an online retailer... if anything she should be seeing a boom in sales from Europe because the Pound has taken a dive. The assertion is that 'Europeans are angry so don't want to buy from the UK', if this were a reality then its not one that will last very long (more likely only days).
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

:up:
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Montey wrote:I call bullshit.

As David Cameron said last night in his speech to the UK parliament.... Article 50 will not be triggered for some time yet, and until the negotiations for exit are completed and agreed then the status quo remains in place; Great Britain remains a full member of the EU until the negotiations are completed and agreed so nothing changes for at least 12 months, but more likely 2 years. All existing travel arrangements, all existing trade arrangements, all existing financial & economic agreements; all agreements, obligations, treaties, rights, etc. remain active and valid until the process is completed.

Reading the replies, the original complainant is an online retailer... if anything she should be seeing a boom in sales from Europe because the Pound has taken a dive. The assertion is that 'Europeans are angry so don't want to buy from the UK', if this were a reality then its not one that will last very long (more likely only days).
This ^

The first part of the lemming trifecta is completed as England crashed out of the Euro championships to a frozen food chain. Woy Hodgson quits as the resignation virus continues to sweep our fair isle.

Motion of no confidence in the Labour Party leader announced as the political system here continues to melt down.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Johnny X wrote:
Montey wrote:I call bullshit.

This ^

The first part of the lemming trifecta is completed as England crashed out of the Euro championships to a frozen food chain. Woy Hodgson quits as the resignation virus continues to sweep our fair isle.

Motion of no confidence in the Labour Party leader announced as the political system here continues to melt down.
Thank goodness you beat Australia in the Woogbeh!
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

:D
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

If they're just selling stuff then that doesn't add up. It'd be cheaper for them to export things due to the drop in sterling, so you would expect them to receive more orders.

On the other side, I had a call yesterday from an IT company we're working with warning me that they've been informed by their suppliers that most of their US companies (e.g. Dell) will be putting up their prices up by 7 - 10% by in the next few weeks, so things are already changing.

Looks like you Aussies will have to teach us the tricks of avoiding expensive imports :D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Lots of people think the vote carried the ruling, not the other way around.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

If I have learnt one thing going through our own economic and social shit storm here in Whyalla the past few months it is this:
-ALL news has an agenda behind it
-A lot of people fail to see this and will go off half cocked with the slightest of provocation, especially when they are scared about the security of their livelihood and homes.
XLV SPORT
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Then you should like this.. oh that magic bus.

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

At least Murray managed to win at Wimbledon so the lemming trifecta is now null and void (although it did start tipping down with rain today). Murray (although he's actually Scottish but the UK media don't seem to know the difference between being English or British depending on success) obviously continuing the English tradition of not hitting the ball into the net.

Farage has been acting like the dick he is in the Euro parliament and the opposition Labour party have voted unanimously in favour of no confidence in the current leader so both the main parties are in turmoil. Looks like it's time for the Monster Raving Loonies to make a comeback :)
Montey

Post by Montey »

wobblysauce wrote:Then you should like this.. oh that magic bus.

That was certainly funny.... just not based on many facts.

Yes, Article 50 says there is 2 years to negotiate the exit... but it can also be extended by agreement... and it doesn't start until a letter has been sent from the UK to the EU saying they want to leave. So the UK could spend the next 12 months working things out before they even send the letter to the EU.

The estimation I heard is that there are about 100,000 pages worth of EU legislation that would need to be sorted. But, the vast majority of this is stuff that doesn't require negotiation and would just be agreed to and accepted by the UK as part of a trade agreement (e.g. regulations pertaining to air-mattress inflation devices <-- Yes, that sort of thing is a real EU regulation). So, of the 100,000 pages there are probably only 10,000 to 20,000 pages to be reviewed and negotiated and of this a reasonable percentage are cover pages not containing impactful content; this should be easily achievable in a 2 year period (100 lawyers could sort through 20,000 pages in 200 days).

John Oliver gets money to generate hysteria, and he's very good at it. People, including me, tune in to watch him rage against the prevailing events of the day, and this is what he is doing here. He's not going to generate many ratings by saying "Brexit, its a storm in a tea-cup, and there is nothing to worry about. Now, have you heard about the latest CDC advice regarding ice-cream consumption?"
Coopz
King of the Wierd
King of the Wierd

Post by Coopz »

All those businesses that are claiming the vote has crippled their EU exports have to be lying, or exaggerating. From what I've read the collapsed value of the pound has energised exports as many EU countries are now switching to British companies to buy from.
norbs wrote:
Stop bullying him. You have more birthdays each year than he gets roots!
Montey

Post by Montey »

The FTSE has now regained all losses experienced after the Brexit vote and is now the highest it has been since the 21st April.

I am getting pretty close to starting to call the doom merchants idiots.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Cameron now working hard on his legacy. He has 2 months to destroy the Labour party and sweep the road clear for his successor although they are trying to do that without his help anyway.

Looks like Boris v Theresa May for the Tories.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

If Boris gets it, do you think he will be besties with Trump?

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Montey wrote:The FTSE has now regained all losses experienced after the Brexit vote and is now the highest it has been since the 21st April.

I am getting pretty close to starting to call the doom merchants idiots.
You're talking about the FTSE 100 I assume? That's not really an indicator of the British economy (lots of internationals in there).

The FTSE 250 is a better gauge. That has recovered a bit too but these markets do tend to over correct so it'll probably bounce around a bit for the next few weeks.

Anyway, it's barely been a week. We haven't even started to leave the EU yet this is going to play out over months and years. It's way too early for anyone to proclaim a pseudo-intellectual victory.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Well it seems the sky hasn't fallen in or all of England is a burning pile of rubble. It will be interesting to see how this now plays out over the next few years while it's sorted out.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

wobblysauce wrote:If Boris gets it, do you think he will be besties with Trump?
Unsurprisingly the Tories have decided that Boris isn't up to it really. Not entirely sure why they think Gove is up to it but there you go. I was quite surprised by Theresa May's press conference to announce her participation in the leadership contest. She seems to be fairly quiet normally but appears to have the right attitude towards the job and put herself across quite well.

Durbs is right about the FTSE index, can't read anything into the 100 index really. I think there's some "pressure" from Europe to get on with getting out whereas the Tories won't do much until they have their new leadership sorted. It'll be a while before any of those financial indicators start to recover consistently I think. The real fun will start to happen when the banks are told what to do/decide to quit the UK :eek:
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Gove's human skinsuit malfunctions

VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

smithcorp wrote:Gove's human skinsuit malfunctions

That's a bit odd...
:teach:
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Completely forgot there was a Brexit thread :D

I saw this earlier and it's a perfect piece of satire to illustrate this whole farce: