New telescope

all the ARSE dribble
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: New telescope

Post by DexterPunk »

We’re all getting old now norbs, ARSE has been around to see some of us young fellas grow up, Giz is no longer a kid, and I’m pushing 40.

It’s probably it (academia and med term)I work in mostly medical or research photography / imaging... I deal with CT and photogrammetry etc a bit. we are known as the ‘Imaging Unit’ in our department. I dunno, photography to me is fairly standard camera and lens capture and print. Anything outside of that, like mentioned with light outside the visible spectrum, using scientific equipment, or perhaps involving more than just taking photos becomes a more broad ‘imaging’. Maybe it’s just something that’s become habit and I’m now using it wrong.

I’ve never really thought about it this much before.

Either way, as a noob... capturing light in a pleasing way (photography/imaging) through a telescope is way harder and more expensive than what I would have initially thought. That, I think, was my point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Oh man, astro photography is super expensive. I have used a couple of different peoples gear, and both times it was $10 and up for the telescope and associated gear. That is with out the camera body.

There is also a LOT to know. I have a shitty little $199 telescope that is fine to look at the moon. And some stars. But it is so fucking frustrating. The tiniest bump and you lose the star. The moon is literally screaming across the sky.

I am determined to have a crack at it at some point with good gear. I need some cryptos to go crazy again :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah I was speaking to some people who know a lot more about than I possibly ever will, who have said you really need a belt driven mount. The tube is almost secondary. And really need two different tubes for planets and deep space photography. But there’s also some step down gizmos which some tubes are better at using than others. Getting good at polar alignment is apparently the key.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

There’s also a 48 hr flash sale on Bintel site right now.

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Cursed wrote:I'd have thought the term imaging makes sense when you're not capturing visible wavelengths. Once visible, I reckon it becomes photography.

I have no interest in the subject but saw an opportunity to nerd-out and couldn't resist.
Maybe you're onto something; even though it's visible wavelengths, these guys are photographing - imaging - things that you cannot see with your naked eye.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

New telescope

Post by DexterPunk »

Often with Astrophotography people modify the IR filter on the camera to let through some of the IR wavelengths.

https://www.swagastro.com/the-differenc ... light.html

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I got my 9yo son a cheap 60mm refractor telescope for his birthday last week since he loves Kerbal so much.
We finally got a clear night last night to check out the moon.

I gotta say it looks so darn cool at relatively high magnifications.

I took this photo with my Pixel 3a thru the view finder. Fucking hard to get a half decent photo with a phone but this'll do.

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It's fun to try and take photos through them even with a dslr attached.

I've joined my local astronomy club. Hopefully on Saturday the weather is nice as we will have the clubs solar scopes out for a market day.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Dr. Pain wrote:It's fun to try and take photos through them even with a dslr attached.
I dont think ide trust this scope with the weight of a DSLR attached so the other night I bought a cheap phone mount for taking photos and giving my younger kids a better chance at seeing as they are not the best at trying to look with one eye shut lol.

Hope it works out, and if not I only spent around $8 on it. If all goes well ill be able to Chromecast the phone screen to the TV inside the house as well. :)

I found a good topographical map of the moon's near side, albeit from the northern hemispheres perspective.
https://cseligman.com/text/moons/moonmapnearlarge.jpg

I then photoshopped it to make a down under view, turned it tones of grey, added the Apollo landing sites and flipped it so it'll look the same as we observe it thru the scope.
Plus printed out each of these for my son for when he is looking at the moon in its different phases.
http://www.derekscope.co.uk/moon-phases ... ular-view/
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Just realised, if the phone mount works well ill be able to Chromecast the phone screen to the TV inside. :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Saturn and Jupiter are close at the moment (since Galileo's time) but the clouds have obscured things a lot.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Charles

Post by Charles »

Bump :) Hi Guys :wave:

I thought I'd share a couple of pictures I took last month using my recently acquired ZWO ASI224 camera. They sure as hell beat trying to hold your cell phone up to the telescope eyepiece.

First is the moon through my crappy Celestron Firstscope:

And here's Saturn taken through my Skywatcher Heritage 150P:

I used a 2 x Barlow in both. They're taken from about 10 seconds (~500 frames) of video and "stacked" using the ZWO software. It truly was a bastard to keep Saturn in view on my laptop's screen... I imagine GOTO would be a huge help for this.

I'm quite chuffed with how they turned out.
This month, I'm going to try and get Jupiter as it reaches opposition.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Awesome
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

damn, that's awesome :)
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Triple the awesome!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.