Re: Stupid Trump stuff.

Post by pixelboy »

Classic!
eek
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

It'd be ironic if that's how they finally learned not to trust everything they read on the internet.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

So, not only have Google and Apple pulled the Parler app from their stores, Amazon has pulled the hosting of the entire service.

:rofl:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Stupid Trump stuff is a long shot here, but it is tied to the BS from Jan 6.

https://www.rawstory.com/insurrectionis ... anic-food/

LOL
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:Stupid Trump stuff is a long shot here, but it is tied to the BS from Jan 6.

https://www.rawstory.com/insurrectionis ... anic-food/

LOL
He should either eat shit or, graze in a field.

More on the Parler closure here. Looks like someone managed to gain access to everything and archive it to do a mass doxing.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jgqbex/ ... hing-first
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Apparently it wasn't really a hack. Somebody simply figured out that everything posted went up to an API with an incrementing number, so one post would be parler.com/api/post/100, then somebody else posts another which becomes parler.com/api/post/102. Those URLs were not protected at all, so you could access everything by simply incrementing the number each time.

Even deleted posts were still available by going to that URL directly.

The whole thing sounds like it was poorly thrown together basically. These are basic mistakes.

However, crucially their admin side was apparently built properly so nobody got access to anything beyond content that had been posted / uploaded.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Let me preface this by stating that I think what is happening is disgusting and people should be punished.

What I have very real concerns about is the censoring. Speech shouldn't be censored and part of that is having to put up with stuff that might not be so great. Should a business be able to decide who it serves? I'm not so sure, I'm leaning towards yes but with stipulations. The fact that Reddit, Twitter etc dropped it only AFTER there was pressure from government is a bit of a slippery slope.

In Australia, we are not protected by "free speech" as it is no where in out constitution (yes we have one) and considering Murdoch controls 90% of our print media shows that free speech never really existed and that Australia mostly tolerates what is said for better or worse. Stifling speech and information is treading, rather quickly, to fascism.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Santaria wrote:... Should a business be able to decide who it serves? I'm not so sure, I'm leaning towards yes but with stipulations. The fact that Reddit, Twitter etc dropped it only AFTER there was pressure from government is a bit of a slippery slope...
If you own a beer hall and there's a rowdy crowd of chucklefucks fomenting the next revolution at the front bar and you know it and don't do anything about it, then arguably you're complicit. I think it's okay to kick them out and not let them come back.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Santaria wrote: The fact that Reddit, Twitter etc dropped it only AFTER there was pressure from government is a bit of a slippery slope.
I think the armed assault on the capital of the United States in which there were several fatalities probably had something to do with it.

There isn't really a question on whether there should be censorship because we know for a fact that allowing unchecked free speech leads to chaos. Look at Sri Lanka - Facebook couldn't be arsed to hire anyone that spoke the language so the platform was a total free for all and ended in deadly riots.

For me the only debate is around who moderates and how accountable they are. The power the big US tech companies have over the internet means they can make these decisions on a whim and are big enough to deal with whatever consequences that may lead to.
Santaria

Re: RE: Re: Stupid Trump stuff.

Post by Santaria »

Cursed wrote:
Santaria wrote:... Should a business be able to decide who it serves? I'm not so sure, I'm leaning towards yes but with stipulations. The fact that Reddit, Twitter etc dropped it only AFTER there was pressure from government is a bit of a slippery slope...
If you own a beer hall and there's a rowdy crowd of chucklefucks fomenting the next revolution at the front bar and you know it and don't do anything about it, then arguably you're complicit. I think it's okay to kick them out and not let them come back.
What if you're that person that got kicked out and you had done nothing wrong?

Fairness goes both ways. Safety goes both ways.

If there's a lot of society siding with morons, kicking a platform won't stop them. Need to figure out what the issue is and stop it at its core. My guess, uneducated idiots thinking patriotism for their country is different to other terrorists.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Just because it's a popular beer hall doesn't mean that everyone has a right to use it however they choose. Nobody has to be fair. I think this is the almost predictable result of allowing anybody to share their moment's brain-farts with the world and seek fame for it, then farming them all together into little echo chambers.

Making it easy for people to share their thoughts appears to have exposed just how stupid, selfish, hateful and uncaring people can be when they're not in an environment where people will correct them back to what social norms are and why we consider them a good thing. This whole thing reinforces why I've never waded into any of those pools.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I understand what you're saying. I'm with Durbs in part of who is moderator? How are they chosen?

There's definitely that argument of saying it's a private company, just don't use it. But let's be realistic, we all have to at some point. It's out connection to news more than ever now.

These people will hopefully get what's owed to them.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
norbs

Post by norbs »

Trump complaining about free speech. He has a fucking media room he could go and get all the coverage he needs. he wont, because he knows it will be challenged.

Also, none of these Turdflakes complain about the complete bull shit that goes out every day on Murdoch's platforms. Show me a time Fox or those outlets have been anything but a propaganda arm for the right.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Just found this....

Possibly part of the problem in the US, and to a lesser extent here. People like Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt were hardly bipartisan,
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The place has been divided for a long time and scars run deep from the civil war still. Also since JFK was shot, most of presidents have been not the greatest and lied to the public. Trump is a product of this.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Well well, seems like some of the GOP might have a shadow of a spine after all.

Maybe the threats from Gummy Trump didnt work.

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Pence is against the 25th so impeachment seems the only way.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
norbs

Post by norbs »

norbs

Post by norbs »

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

That thread is significantly shorter than I expected. What a mad time we've been living through recently.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

.Image
norbs

Post by norbs »

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

The family that just keeps on giving!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

"I won this impeachment by a landslide, you know it and I know it."