Cricket, cricket, cricket.....

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Cricket, cricket, cricket.....

Post by norbs »

Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Just got this in an email:

To our Australian Cricket Fans,

We are sorry.

We are sorry that you had to wake up this morning to news from South Africa that our Australian Men’s Cricket team and our Captain admitted to conduct that is outside both the Laws of our game and the Spirit of Cricket.

This behaviour calls into question the integrity of the team and Cricket Australia.

Following discussions with Steve Smith and David Warner they have agreed to stand down as Captain and Vice-Captain respectively for the remainder of this Test match.

As I said at a media conference earlier today, Cricket Australia and Australian cricket fans expect high standards from cricketers representing our country, and on this occasion these standards have not been met.

We know how you feel and have heard your feedback loud and clear. We share your anger and disappointment.

As you would be aware, we have launched an immediate investigation into what transpired in Cape Town, and our Head of Integrity is travelling to South Africa as we speak.

All Australians, like us, want answers and we will keep you updated on our findings, as a matter of urgency.

James Sutherland
Chief Executive Officer - Cricket Australia
XLV SPORT
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

One tiny thing to keep in mind here, Cricket Australia can not be TOO heavy handed - it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Smith and Warner just say 'fuck it' and go out on the 20/20 circuit from this point.
The only incident that comes close to this is the Greg Chappell underarm, which of course was not cheating, but Chappell had limited other options to earn a living from cricket, these blokes do in 2018. Maybe some see that as no big loss but I bet CA would want to avoid that, if one or two blokes do it that may well open the flood gates for others, which would be their big fear.

Another point - It is now obvious that neither Smith nor Chappell was in anything like the right mental state to be Captain at the time of these two incidents - somewhat understandable in Chappell's day but in 2018, you would hope better systems would be in place to manage this sort of thing.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They did something stupid so they should get the appropriate punishment. But tampering with the ball does happen a lot. Almost every bounce throw to the keeper or bowling end is trying to scuff the ball so it will reverse. That's up to the on field umpires to stop that. But to think they could get away with rubbing a ball with dirt is just silly with every thing being watched by camera's. It's an international test ffs!

They shouldn't be sacked for it though. Baying for their blood is the typical Australian over reaction. Lets cut down a tall poppy when we can... Once the series is done and they get time off, the next summer will roll in and no one will give two fucks over it. Sack them and watch it create a gaping whole in Australian test cricket. The batting order is fragile if one of them doesn't fire.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Agreed - what pisses me off about the whole thing is that it has given the numerous journalists who love sticking the knife into Australian cricket an unlimited amount of ammo for at least the next twelve months. They have blown everything out of proportion for years but this, this just will make them all think they were right to do what they did all along.

Thinking some more though - does all this seem too stupid to anyone else? I may be overthinking it but something here does not smell right to me. They had to know they would get caught, I just can not believe they would be that bold to think they could get away with it, especially playing against South Africa and the grilling Faf got in Hobart not that long ago.

Smith was just too quick to put his hand up and accept blame (without the slightest sign of remorse mind you), seemingly along with the rest of the leadership group - just has a feeling of some sort of stunt.

Could it be that behind the scenes things have been really, really stinky in the aftermath of the last lot of collective bargaining? Did they want Lehmann gone? Did Smith and Warner just decide they had had enough and want to get kicked out? I doubt we will ever know the story if there is one, but something does not add up.

Note: Just got reminded that the TV rights are currently being negotiated - just imagine if this was a stunt by the players (who seem united on all this, so far) to torpedo the price and give a giant eff you to the Board - how big of a story would that be? Would be one giant mother fucker of a power play that's for sure.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Yeah I do agree something isn't right about this. Maybe they thought that stepping up and taking the blame will deflect pressure from Bancroft. It's much harder to sack a captain especially one in form like he has been.

Faf's been caught twice and no one seems to be constantly labelling him as a cheat.
norbs

Post by norbs »

As for sacking them. Warner, what does he need to do to be removed?
norbs

Post by norbs »

Well this could fuck their IPL ideas if it comes off.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/zero-toler ... 4z67j.html
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm a bit surprised that Smith has been suspended but Bancroft hasn't, has Smith fallen on his sword or does it mean that Smith has basically forced Bancroft to do it.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

The ICC punishments for ball tampering are never harsh and remember the ball was not sufficiently damaged to require changing so as bad as it all looks he did not actually 'do' that much.
Smith brought the game into disrepute though so a totally different deal.
XLV SPORT
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

norbs wrote:Well this could fuck their IPL ideas if it comes off.

Cause the IPL is so clean :rolleyes:
norbs

Post by norbs »

Dr. Pain wrote:
norbs wrote:Well this could fuck their IPL ideas if it comes off.

Cause the IPL is so clean :rolleyes:

I wasnt suggesting it was. Not sure where that thinking came from. Did you read the article?

It was suggested they might fuck off and go and play IPL to get richer. If that article is right, they might not have the chance.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I did read it Norbs. The IPL has had teams cheating the salary cap, corruption investigations into teams, even mentions of match fixing. So for them to take the high ground is a bit rich and it's a case of kick a man while he is down.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I am not doubting it is corrupt. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs their heads read. But that wasnt what I was arguing.

Kick a man while he is down? He is a the the very least stupid, and at worst, a fucking cheat. He is down due to his own fucking stupidity. Fuck him. With great power comes great responsibility. He was captain. he was in on it. He should go first.

Oh, and who is surprised that this has emerged...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/da ... 4z6d3.html

Would anyone be surprised if that c**t Warner was at the heart of all this?
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The thing with that article that makes me laugh is they won't take him for bringing the game into disreput. Yet Faf Du Plessis, rub out twice for ball tampering, has a current contract in the IPL with the Chennai Super Kings and had a contract when he got rub out with the mint. That's where I'm coming from by saying kick a man while he is down. I should have explained it much better than I did.

They are fucking stupid for what they did but is there some other reason why they did it? Something doesn't smell right about it.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

You might get your wish about Warner Norbs. I can't see him playing for Australia again.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Warner is getting absolutely hammered from all sides!!

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke, eh Norbs :)
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I wouldn't be surprised to find out it was all Warner and Bancroft. I suspect that Smith may not have known about it and that he admitted it because he is the Captain and he hoped to be able to protect others.

I bet that the "leadership team" was Warner alone.

I doubt this would surprise anyone if it was the truth.

Needless to say, anyone who knew and agreed to it should be banned for 12 months at a minimum.
eek
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

It does now feel like Smith may have been trying to take the bullet and get out in front of it only to dramatically underestimate the kickback from it. Which would be easy to do given how previous tamperers (like Faf) got treated.
If that is the case - I feel genuinely sorry for the bloke.
XLV SPORT
thornz

Post by thornz »

That would be pretty average if that is the case, and I feel there could be a bit of truth to it.

Davey Dumb Dumb on the other hand, I hope he hits every branch on his way down seeing as he seems to have loved pissing on people on his way up.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Well if it is true that Smith had no idea it was happening and tried to look after his men, I have some sympathy for him.

Warner on the other hand. Fuck that guy. Gold plated idiot and thug.
norbs

Post by norbs »

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

So Smith did have knowledge but couldn't control Warner, no surprises about that.

I think that Smith could of been given a shorter ban but ultimately he was captain.

Warner has now played his last Australian game I suspect and he deserves it as he's ruined two other careers through his arrogance and stupidity.
Last edited by pixelboy on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eek
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

That is a good read and I agree that the incident in Cape Town is a culmination of poor management of the team for years. If Smith wasn't able to control Warner, he should been able to go to Cricket Australia and do something about it!

Some more wise words, this time from Mr Cricket.. https://www.playersvoice.com.au/michael ... jJxjK7U.97
eek
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I remember Terry Alderman saying once that to make the grade in his day you first had to play your guts out to make your state side. Then you played your guts out in the state side to make the national side.

It's a award for talent, hard work, effort and the right mind set. You earn it and work hard to keep it. The problem of today is they live in a fish bowl and we know so much about them. I grew up with the West Indies kicking our arse on field and we didn't know much about off field. Players setting drinking records on flights to England. Imagine the out cry today if Tim Payne tried to best Boonie's record?

I hope Steve Smith can come back from this because he is better than this. Do the time for the crime and then if he still has it to get back in, put him back in as a batter and just let him bat.