Cyclone Marcus

all the ARSE dribble
Sarsippius

Cyclone Marcus

Post by Sarsippius »

So about 10am today cyclone Marcus passed directly over Darwin, it was a category 2 which wasn't really too bad to be honest. Some suburbs the power went out but we were ok the whole time, just did out thing inside never feeling in any danger.

I was a bit surprised though afterwards that quite a few trees had come down, no real damage to the house but it was a bit close. Some big trees just outside the back fence came down so there'll be some repairs needed there, a big palm out the front came down and by the time I came out someone had already been at it with a chainsaw. It might have been obstructing the road, not sure if it was the council or someone from the neighbourhood.

I took a few videos to show the trees and things for anyone interested.

durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Re: Cyclone Marcus

Post by durbster »

Blimey. Is that normal for so many palm trees to come down? I thought those things were basically indestructible.

And I kept thinking you aren't anywhere near cautious enough about finding snakes in amongst all that :D
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

durbster wrote:Blimey. Is that normal for so many palm trees to come down? I thought those things were basically indestructible.

And I kept thinking you aren't anywhere near cautious enough about finding snakes in amongst all that :D
It depends how soaking the rain has been, but yeah. Generally they don't fall down for noone, lol.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

The big palms all stayed up except for the one that came over from next door, we had one not so big one snap in half but that had been gotten to a bit by termites (side note the termites here a massive, Mastotermes darwiniensis, workers are about 10-11mm long :eyepop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastotermes_darwiniensis). We have a couple palms that would be a metre plus in diameter, none of which came down but they would do some real damage if they did.

Like I said from inside things didn't seem so bad but there's so many downed trees all over town, lots of downed power lines with some areas still without power, apparently the town is sold out of chainsaws lol. Luckily it was only a category 2 :nod:

This was on the walk to the supermarket the morning after:

Our front drive, the stump on the right someone had kindly chopped up by the time we came out for a look.

We went for a wander down the main road over our back fence, a lot of trees had come down.

Downed power lines on the other side of the road

Our back gate is under there somewhere

The father in-law going at it with a chainsaw, all the chopped branches laying on the ground. They've told us not to take any more green waste to the tip, just leave it all on the verges so we chucked everything over the back fence :)

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Nice, was going to say about the storms here the other night, but only knocked down about 10 trees and a number of branches.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.