2018 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Baku City Circuit
Lap data
Lap length 6.003km (3.73 miles)
Race laps 51
Race distance 306.051km (190.171 miles)
Distance from grid to turn one 330m
Full throttle 49%
Gear changes per lap 78
Fuel use per lap 1.96kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.32s

UK Times
Friday 27th April 2018
Azerbaijan Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 13:00-14:30 (UK time: 10:00-11:30)
Azerbaijan Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 17:00-18:30 (UK time: 14:00-15:30)
Saturday 28th April 2018
Azerbaijan Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 14:00-15:00 (UK time: 11:00-12:00)
Azerbaijan Grand Prix Qualifying: 17:00 (UK time: 14:00)
Sunday 29th April 2018
Azerbaijan Grand Prix: 16:10 (UK time: 13:10)

Previous Winners
2017 Australia Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-TAG Heuer

Videos

Hamilton 2017 on board

2017 onboard race highlights

Facts from the last race
Before the Chinese Grand Prix Lewis Hamilton said he thought it would be difficult to finish higher than he started. Sure enough, he came home in the fourth place he started from, though he must have been relieved that Sebastian Vettel wasn’t one of the three cars ahead of him.

That fourth place gave Hamilton a new F1 record. It was his 28th consecutive points finish, moving him ahead of the previous record held by Kimi Raikkonen.

From the 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix to the 2013 Hungarian Grand Prix, Raikkonen came home in the top 10 every time for Lotus. Hamilton’s streak began at the 2016 Japanese Grand Prix and included all of last year’s races. Raikkonen’s run ended when a visor tear-off went into his brake duct and caused a failure: How much longer will Hamilton’s run go on without something as trivial as this bringing it to an end?

Raikkonen reached an unhappy milestone as it was the 100th race since he last won a round of the world championship. He has made 23 podium appearances since that last win, which is a record.

Daniel Ricciardo scored his sixth career victory, which moves him level with world championships John Surtees and Jochen Rindt plus Tony Brooks, Gilles Villeneuve, Jacques Laffite, Riccardo Patrese and Ralf Schumacher.

Ricciardo has scored all six of his wins from fourth on the grid or lower. That contrasts sharply with his former team mate Sebastian Vettel, who won 49 times but started within the top three places every time. Hamilton’s career record is similar to Vettel: 62 wins, of which just four have come from starts outside the top three.

Many of the statistics from China point towards Mercedes having a tougher time in 2018 than they have in any season since the V6 hybrid turbo era began in 2014. They have failed to win any of the last three races, which hasn’t happened since the end of 2013 (but it hasn’t stopped them taking the lead in the constructors’ championship). The W09 is the first car they have built which didn’t take pole position for the Chinese Grand Prix since the W02 of 2011.

The performance of Mercedes and Ferrari’s customer teams suggests the latter has produced a very strong engine this year, perhaps even a better one than Mercedes. Haas and Sauber both have more points after three races than Force India and Williams.

Meanwhile Ferrari had their first pole position in China since the venue held its first round of the world championship in 2004. They also had back-to-back front row lock-outs for the first time in more than a decade. You have to go back to Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa in the 2006 United States and French Grands Prix for the last time this happened.

Raikkonen has qualified second for all of this year’s races so far but hasn’t been able to finish that high in any of them. To be fair to him, Ferrari’s strategy looked more geared to his team mate’s needs than his. Another driver on the grid has started every race so far from the same position: in fact, Nico Hulkenberg has started seventh for each of the last six races.

Three races in, every driver on the grid has out-qualified his team mate at least once, with two exceptions. Carlos Sainz Jnr is yet to put one over Hulkenberg, and Stoffel Vandoorne has started every race behind Fernando Alonso. Both are also yet to finish races in front of their team mates, a situation they will be feeling an urgent desire to put right.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres

Championship Standings
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Re: 2018 FORMULA 1 AZERBAIJAN GRAND PRIX

Post by VTRacing »

I just watched that onboard highlights of last year's race, it was so crazy! Well done, Baku.
:teach:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Some interesting new on screen graphics being tried out this weekend

My Flickr Stream
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Good gawd...
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Ah so lets take something that''s already ugly and out of place then highlight it even more!!! lmao
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I'm against the masses here, I like it. I think it's better than looking at a graphic to the side.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Santaria wrote:I'm against the masses here, I like it. I think it's better than looking at a graphic to the side.

yeah i'd rather see info there than a bland bit of carbon fibre or sponsors name.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Hartley had a blown tyre. Not a whole lot he could do. The team could have done a better job to let Gasly know
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

That was so close to turning Gasly into passenger in an aircraft crash.

Qual was pretty good, such a shame for Kimi. He blew it but so did many othera at different times.

So glad Dan trumped the "golden" child.
Dukester

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Ready

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Ah Fark, think that one was Dan's mistake but the cause for me is RBR's Management.
Also confirms my belief about their preference of driver into the future. :(
As I'm not sure Verstappen's aggressive defending earlier in the race would have been tolerated if the roles were reversed.
Dukester

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Fucking Max! He keeps moving when attacked
Minister for Religious Genocide.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Can you move twice in the braking zone?

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

For me it's Max's fault. He moved right, braked and then moved back to the left again, by which time Ric was already committed to going that way. Max is a great talent and it's good to see him in F1 but by taking him from F3/GP3 he missed out on a couple of years of learning more race craft in F2/GP2 and I think sometimes it shows.
My Flickr Stream
norbs

Post by norbs »

Max is the new Maldanado.

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

My initial reaction was that Max moved twice but I don't think the first move was in the braking zone. But I also think Dan would never had made the corner anyway.
I know on thing the stewards decision will likely be one of the hardest of recent times as you can't discount Max's history. .
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Grosean.

Vettel

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

OMG!!! Bottas you poor bugger.
And I'm lmao @ Vettel. Image
Another Baku race with so much drama.
Maybe F1 needs more street circuits to spice up the races. :yes:
Dukester

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Another good crazy Baku race :)

Such a shame for Bottas. Lol @ Grosjean and Vettel. WTF Max.

You're not supposed to move twice, regardless of whether it's in the braking zone or not. Those last minute blocks he does, especially in the braking zone, were always going to end up causing an accident. NFI why they removed the rule against them. 100% Max's fault in my opinion, though I'm surprised he didn't get orders to move over. Dan would have been ahead of Hamilton if he hadn't been held up so much.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Wasnt there a rule at some stage to stop max from doing what he is doing.

I hope the ban him for a few races. How often does he have to hit people to be rubbed out?

Sure, DR ran up his arse this time, but only because he went left after going right defending.
norbs

Post by norbs »

From the SMH...

Niki Lauda, the non-executive chairman for Mercedes and three-time world champion, however, laid the blame firmly at Verstappen’s door. The 69-year-old Austrian, who was also critical of Verstappen after the last round in China, accused the young Dutchman of weaving in his attempt to stop Ricciardo from passing.

It is Verstappen’s third collision in as many races following run-ins with Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel and now Ricciardo.‘‘It is 70 per cent Verstappen, and 30 per cent Ricciardo,’’ Lauda said. ‘‘If you move on him all the time where can the poor guy go?’’

Lauda added: ‘‘I would go home and cry. It is a disaster. I would bring them both into the office, and tell them how much less they will get paid for the damage they have done.’’

The incident comes as Ricciardo is publicly considering a move to Ferrari or Mercedes for next season. The stewards ruled that Verstappen had moved twice to defend his position - when only one move is allowed - and said Ricciardo admitted he left it ‘‘too late’’ to overtake.

Both drivers received a formal reprimand, and each apologised to Red Bull.‘‘This is the last thing we wanted. We want to be able to race and I’m thankful that the team let us race,’’ Ricciardo said. ‘‘Everyone is pretty heartbroken.’’

Verstappen said he didn’t want the team to stop him fighting Ricciardo on the track in the future.

‘‘We will learn from this and have to make sure it doesn’t happen again,’’ Verstappen said.

Learn from it? Fuck me dead.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

As someone who is half-Dutch, I feel entitled to say Max is a c**t.

Dan knew if he went to the outside again then Max would just park it on the apex and run him out of road on the exit as he'd done previously. His only shot was to try and bluff down the inside. It went wrong but he was desperate, Dan.

Max reminds me of those guys you see in online racing occasionally who just fight a faster car behind no matter what, even if it fucks up their own race. Red Bull should have told him to let Ricciardo through; Dan was quicker today, Max might be quicker tomorrow.
:teach:
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

norbs wrote:
‘‘We will learn from this and have to make sure it doesn’t happen again,’’ Verstappen said.[/i]

Learn from it? Fuck me dead.
Supposedly the last race was going to be a turning point for him, I think that came from Brundle, we'd see a new Max going forward :nod:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

My wife has labelled him Max Verstackin.