What the hell

all the ARSE dribble
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

What the hell

Post by smithcorp »

Hair dryer started cutting out, cable had to be held in just the right spot for it to run. Manufacturer uses some wacky fastener I can't undo to try to repair it, so let's buy a new dryer.

Go to Shaver Shop website to see these two options:

Wahl - $49
Dyson $549.

What the actual? Two products that do the same thing, apparently well. One is 11 times the price of the other. Sure, the Dyson has "precise" speed and speed settings, but this is crazy. The whole Dyson phenomenon is just getting people to pay incredible amounts for household products that were previously affordable. And for more than $500 it only has a 2-year warranty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarsippius

Re: What the hell

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah but it's "Supersonic", like a fighter jet :p

Maybe there is something to it but beauty products are one of those areas that are rife with snake oil.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Well that blows...
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

There's a dyson vacuum here and although it's expensive it's best vacuum I've used. My sister has had it for years and bought it around here. Even though they have a two year warranty, this thing hasn't lost any power and it's pushing 10 years old.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Never pictured you as a hair dryer kind of guy Smith.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Hopefully this helps. Every company would like to be in the top right but they can't. In Smith's example Wahl is stuck in the bottom right and must compete on price or bust. The only real problem Wahl has is once they compete on price alone then they're one step from being fucked. You can't go down by much if any and without being unique you most certainly can't go up in price.

As for Dyson in the example, they're sitting pretty letting other's kill each other while only having to move one 11th of the units.

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

w00dsy wrote:Never pictured you as a hair dryer kind of guy Smith.
Metrosexual
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

wabbit wrote:Hopefully this helps. Every company would like to be in the top right but they can't. In Smith's example Wahl is stuck in the bottom right and must compete on price or bust. The only real problem Wahl has is once they compete on price alone then they're one step from being fucked. You can't go down by much if any and without being unique you most certainly can't go up in price.

As for Dyson in the example, they're sitting pretty letting other's kill each other while only having to move one 11th of the units.

Its amazing isn't it? The power of brand. You read reviews that say 'my hair is silkier' - its just air!
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Smiss was never been the same after he went on 'Queer Eye For The Straight Bri'
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

smithcorp wrote:Its amazing isn't it? The power of brand.
Yep it is. On one hand it's what we wanted a "free market" but god damn how much better can that product be. I'd have to do some research to really find the differences but I don't think I'm the target market anyway.

Anyways, that chart is something I keep in my mind for a whole host of products and services. It's helped me understand why there can be vast differences in price and I guess it's taught me that price doesn't equal value (in either extreme). It's an extra step for each purchase to decide if the "value" is really worth the extra.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The Dyson vacuum I bought about 10 years ago is the biggest piece of shit. The hose has been replaced 4 times from memory.

I got another one cheap on eBay that is just a small rechargable one that is ok, but the regular price is 3x what I paid.

Wabbit's chart is perfect. Add to that the fact people are idiots (myself included), and cashola poors in for Dyson.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

norbs wrote:The Dyson vacuum I bought about 10 years ago is the biggest piece of shit. The hose has been replaced 4 times from memory.

I got another one cheap on eBay that is just a small rechargable one that is ok, but the regular price is 3x what I paid.

Wabbit's chart is perfect. Add to that the fact people are idiots (myself included), and cashola pours in for Dyson.
Fixed
Minister for Religious Genocide.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Thanks Doc.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Montey

Post by Montey »

- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

So the bloke is pleasantly surprised by how well engineered it is and it's miniaturisation. He went a bit hard early on but changed his tune depending on what he found.