Persistent phone scammer

all the ARSE dribble
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Persistent phone scammer

Post by smithcorp »

Just had an interesting scam call just now. Number came up as Adelaide so i answered. Did my usual silent routine but he actually spoke where they usually quickly end the call when tbey don't hear anything. He gave me the usual Telstra security nonsense but instead of hanging up when i told him i knew the scam, he kept on.

Insisted it was not a scam, used my name, told me he could give me my service id (LOL) to prove he was legit etc. Even when i escalated, calling him scum for scamming vulnerable people he persisted, told me Optus is owned by Telstra when i told him we werent even a Telstra customer, warned me the call was being recorded when i started getting really blue and put a curse on him and his children.

He held on through some pretty extreme abuse from me, acted quite indignant all the time but finally hung up. He acted quite like a real tech person. God knows what he thought he could achieve once i knew he was a scammer, but i could imagine a lot of people who were suspicious it was a scam call could be taken in by his insistence.

Smiss

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
DarrenM

Re: Persistent phone scammer

Post by DarrenM »

I leave my landline phone unplugged most of the time. Only have it because I seem to have bad quality on the mobile to some people. Had it plugged in while I was home today. 5 calls, all scammers. I can't wait to get NBN and be done with it and hope to fuck it never becomes viable for them to start calling mobile numbers.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I just hang up most of the time but my old man has been getting unwanted calls to his mobile and he answers with Benalla police, Australian federal police, Origin energy ect... they hang up so fast.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

There are mobile phone calls, too, but what I'm gettting usually are the ones expecting you to call back after a short call. So I usually pick up and quietly put it on the table. None lasts longer than about 40s. :D

Then I put the number into "Call Insider" as a scam caller, and block the number.

I do not have a landline for a long time now - there's no reason to have one.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I am now in the habit of saying "Take me of your register as soon as they speak". 9 out of 10 times they say ok and hang up.

Sort of back fires when it is the local solar company calling you. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

The Telstra scam doesn't work when I ask for their staff ID number so I can look it up on the internal Telstra global address list.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Have a referee's whistle by the phone and blow it :)
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream