Arrival

Chat about stuff you've seen
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Arrival

Post by ysu »

Gents, it's not a new film but it's been on telly recently, I've recorded and watched it, and it's excellent scifi.
If you are into the the genre; highly recommended, watch it. It may not be for you if you don't like scifi otherwise. And I mean proper scifi here, like Asimov's old ones; not the usual fluff being regurgitated by hollywood usually.

It is exactly like all the many great scifi novels I used to read in my younger years, it makes you think. It's a bit weird, it's twisted, and I'm seriously lacking words to describe it all.

Just grab a couple of beers and watch it :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Sarsippius

Re: Arrival

Post by Sarsippius »

I watched this recently as well and like you I quite enjoyed it. However thinking about it afterwards there were certain issues that take some of the shine off it in retrospect. I don't want to say to much and spoil things for others but for instance the flashback scenes frame the main character in a certain way and I think it's effective during the movie but if you think about the context once you know the ending they're kinda disingenuous.

Denis Villeneuve is a good Director, I thought Prisoners and Blade Runner 2049 were both great, Arrival was good but not as good as those two. Sicario I actually didn't like much at all. It will be interesting to see what he can do with Dune, Blade Runner suggest to me he could do a good job of it but it's nearly impossible to do Dune justice in a single movie.