The other Hamilton racer

all the ARSE dribble
pixelboy

The other Hamilton racer

Post by pixelboy »

The article is a few years old but it's interesting story.
When Nicolas Hamilton was born, two months premature, his family was told he would never walk. He had a form of cerebral palsy that would cause a constant stiffness in the lower half of his body. By the age of 11 he was restricted to a wheelchair, but that didn't stop him from wanting to become a race car driver. He had direct exposure to a Formula One world champion in the family: His elder half brother, Lewis Hamilton, went from casual karting on the weekends to winning three F1 championships.

Over the years, he fought to regain motion in his legs. The odds of his ever driving a race car were stacked against him. But that started to change when he encountered the world of simulated racing. Unbeknownst to him, spending hours in the virtual world was laying the foundation for his professional career. He stayed and succeeded in the online world for years, moving through the cycles of sim-racing championships, before he got behind the wheel of a real car. He made his race debut in 2011 with Britain's Renault Clio Cup and moved on to the European Touring Car Cup two years later. Most recently, he became the first driver with a disability to compete in the British Touring Car Championship.
Full Story: https://www.engadget.com/amp/2016/06/07 ... al-racing/
eek
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Re: The other Hamilton racer

Post by durbster »

Yeah I remember back in Lewis's early days hearing Nic talking about sim-racing. I can't remember if he was into GPL (probably a bit too young) but I recall he was into 'proper' sims.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Oh I thought this was about former US president Alexander Hamilton :doh:

It wouldn't have surprised me if he was a racer living on the edge. He has a duel with the New York governor and lost. But carry on :D
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

He was a beta tester for PCars2 I think.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk