Manchester?

all the ARSE dribble
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Manchester?

Post by Big Kev »

Just watching a comedian on TV saying you lot down there in upsidedown land call pillowcases, sheets and stuff like that.... manchester.

Is that right? :)
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: Manchester?

Post by nutty »

Yep, always thought it was weird
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

eek
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Well that's where the stuff was made. I think the term has been here for a long time and us being lazy, it was used to describe where it came from but we shortened it.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

It took me a while to realise what was going on when I came to Australia, I can tell you that.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Calm down Kev. I saw a map of the UK the other day. You fuckers have stolen a lot of our place names! :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Google found this for me: https://www.justbedding.com.au/blog/the ... anchester/

Interesting take that it may have been picked up from the labelling of the cargo with its source.

Poms certainly aren't adverse to weirdly naming things.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Yep, that's another thing that baffled us for a while too. :aussie:
norbs wrote:Calm down Kev. I saw a map of the UK the other day. You fuckers have stolen a lot of our place names! :D
You're right!

Not far from me (and next door to Donington race track) is this little village:
https://goo.gl/maps/6dWeoFmXwmD2
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Just seemed a really weird name for it. The comedian was from Manchester and he was joking about being in a store when a tannoy announcement said could someone from Manchester come to customer services and he thought wow what a stroke of luck, what could they want me for!
norbs wrote:Calm down Kev. I saw a map of the UK the other day. You fuckers have stolen a lot of our place names! :D
haha :)

Like this one!

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
richo

Post by richo »

Big Kev wrote:Just seemed a really weird name for it. The comedian was from Manchester and he was joking about being in a store when a tannoy announcement said could someone from Manchester come to customer services and he thought wow what a stroke of luck, what could they want me for!

Like this one!

Isn't Tannoy a brand of high end speakers and monitors? You English speak funny :)

Next you will be telling me Americans pronounce Aluminium correctly and Imperial measurements are the way to go :D
[]D [] []v[] []D
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Oh that's gold! Norbs, hit them up for royalties! :rofl:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Big Kev wrote:Just seemed a really weird name for it. The comedian was from Manchester and he was joking about being in a store when a tannoy announcement said could someone from Manchester come to customer services and he thought wow what a stroke of luck, what could they want me for!

Like this one!

Wait, isnt that sign on the Longford circuit in Tasmania.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: RE: Re: Manchester?

Post by Exar Kun »

richo wrote:
Next you will be telling me Americans pronounce Aluminium correctly and Imperial measurements are the way to go :D
Pretty sure Americans do pronounce (and spell) aluminium correctly. The English changed it to fit with their idea of naming metals.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Exar Kun wrote:
richo wrote:
Pretty sure Americans do pronounce (and spell) aluminium correctly. The English changed it to fit with their idea of naming metals.

And our idea of naming everything is the only method that matters, therefore everyone else is wrong. :smackbum:
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

My kids and wife are U.S. citizens, so I claim to be bilingual.

I found an interesting history of the naming of the element Al - http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

It might be weird for us to name our bed sheets after the place we imported them from, but we didn't name a dessert "spotted dick".
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
richo

Post by richo »

Exar Kun wrote:
richo wrote:

Maybe but it sounds soooo wrong .
[]D [] []v[] []D
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Exar Kun wrote:
richo wrote:

Well, from Cursed's link....
It’s clear that the shift in the USA from –ium to –um took place progressively over a period starting in about 1895, when the metal began to be widely available and the word started to be needed in popular writing. It is easy to imagine journalists turning for confirmation to Webster’s Dictionary, still the most influential work at that time, and adopting its spelling. The official change in the US to the –um spelling happened quite late: the American Chemical Society only adopted it in 1925, though this was clearly in response to the popular shift that had already taken place. The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) officially standardised on aluminium in 1990, though this has done nothing, of course, to change the way people in the US spell it for day to day purposes.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Cursed wrote:My kids and wife are U.S. citizens, so I claim to be bilingual.

I found an interesting history of the naming of the element Al - http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

It might be weird for us to name our bed sheets after the place we imported them from, but we didn't name a dessert "spotted dick".
Funnily enough, I'll be gobbling up some spotted dick this evening...