Brave Browser.

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Brave Browser.

Post by norbs »

Anyone tried it?

https://brave.com/
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Brave Browser.

Post by w00dsy »

I used the mobile version for a while. Can't remember why I went back to Chrome. It seemed ok. Had ad blocking built in.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Seems a bit conflicting that their angle is being privacy, blocking tracking etc. Yet the underlying goal is to track page viewing in fine detail so that you can pay websites based on how long you looked at their site etc.

I use ublock origin in firefox on mobile at the moment. Makes a massive difference to bandwidth usage.
slow069

Post by slow069 »

I went to the holly grail of Norb's Brave church and got converted
its a really good browser to the point I have managed to convert a friend over to it as well (Not Box)
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999095303]Image[/url]
hylas

Post by hylas »

I have tried it in the past but I'm with Darren here, I went back to Firefox with ublock origin.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I'm a web developer so I bounce between browsers all day, every day, and Brave is my browser of choice on desktop and phone. That said, Firefox had a big overhaul last year which sped it up massively. If you haven't used it for a while it's worth downloading. I use Firefox to develop with so spend hours every day with it.

Not sure how rosy the future for Brave looks though. It runs on Chromium, and Google have plans to override ad-blockers which would scupper them pretty badly.

I've de-Googled most aspects of my life over the last couple of years and Chrome was one of the easiest things to replace. Google are just too powerful now so I think it's important to support alternatives.

Incidentally, what do people think of Brave's idea where you set an amount of money you're happy to pay per month, which gets automatically distributed to websites according to how much time you spent on them?

I love that idea. I think that's a much better system than being sent ads and it would be a great way to dent the Amazon/Facebook/Google monopoly.
norbs

Post by norbs »

durbster wrote:I'm a web developer so I bounce between browsers all day, every day, and Brave is my browser of choice on desktop and phone. That said, Firefox had a big overhaul last year which sped it up massively. If you haven't used it for a while it's worth downloading. I use Firefox to develop with so spend hours every day with it.

Not sure how rosy the future for Brave looks though. It runs on Chromium, and Google have plans to override ad-blockers which would scupper them pretty badly.

I've de-Googled most aspects of my life over the last couple of years and Chrome was one of the easiest things to replace. Google are just too powerful now so I think it's important to support alternatives.

Incidentally, what do people think of Brave's idea where you set an amount of money you're happy to pay per month, which gets automatically distributed to websites according to how much time you spent on them?

I love that idea. I think that's a much better system than being sent ads and it would be a great way to dent the Amazon/Facebook/Google monopoly.
I like the idea of micro payments to people. However, I have tried to get a few content providers on board, and as soon as you say crypto currency, they scream SCAM!

This is what my stats say for the new PC. 2 weeks old or so.

norbs

Post by norbs »

I have set up creator status for the arseforums, so you can send tips to me to help cover server costs.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Good idea.