Supercars 2019

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

pixelboy

Re: Supercars 2019

Post by pixelboy »

Wasn't there a race on over the weekend?
eek
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Haha, i was shocked when i looked on here last night and saw nothing mentioned. With all the usual Bathurst drama thrown into it with fuel saving, team mates backing the field up, team mates hitting each other out of contention.

Was an entertaining race. Pity about the late safety car as it was going to be a crazy finish with the top 4 cars waiting for the all clear call on fuel so they could go. Then you had Dave Reynolds (who's co-driver Luke Youlden might as well hang up the helmet after his effort) waiting for the other cars to run out and take the unlikely win.
petey

Post by petey »

yeah was going to be interesting until the final safety car, they may aswell have just called it then.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

A few of us were having much banter on discord yesterday, rather than here.

To be honest until the first SC it was going to be a very bland event.
But then once the first one happened the whole thing exploded.
As much as I don't want McLaughlin to loose the race win as he drove really well, I do hope they throw Penske/DJR out of the results for their blatant cheating.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

It would be unfair for it to affect Scotts result, so I'm tipping it'll be a fine or loss of points for 1 or both cars
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote:A few of us were having much banter on discord yesterday, rather than here.

To be honest until the first SC it was going to be a very bland event.
But then once the first one happened the whole thing exploded.
As much as I don't want McLaughlin to loose the race win as he drove really well, I do hope they throw Penske/DJR out of the results for their blatant cheating.

First SC was on lap 1 Duke. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Montey

Post by Montey »

Duke wrote:As much as I don't want McLaughlin to loose the race win as he drove really well, I do hope they throw Penske/DJR out of the results for their blatant cheating.
I agree completely with what you've said here. I also think there needs to be a rule change to penalise a team and their advantaged car when a team does something like this. I don't mind team mates working together, but they should not be able to be used to prevent racing.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I've seen a few people on social media compare it to NZ last year when Whincup moved over to let Giz win. But the only loser in that scenario was Whincup. Coultards actions affected pretty much everyone from him back.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Yep, team orders that only affect your own team are fine - team orders that screw with much of the field are an entirely different matter.

Also - most Supercars 'fans' on social media are incredibly dumb (also applicable to F1, NBA, AFL etc etc).
XLV SPORT
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

w00dsy wrote:I've seen a few people on social media compare it to NZ last year when Whincup moved over to let Giz win. But the only loser in that scenario was Whincup. Coultards actions affected pretty much everyone from him back.
the general consensus on facebook is "BUT 888 WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

I see no fans of motorsport from v8supercars facebook posters, just people who support a brand without any thought.
Bails MacKenzie

Post by Bails MacKenzie »

Garry Rogers just announced that he's closing down the Supercar program due to rising costs.
Still running the F5000 program and the TCR cars though.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I'll never forgive them for the Monaro.
eek
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

DJR Team Penske’s #17 entry has kept its Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 win but its second car has been relegated to last finisher due to a breach of the FIA International Sporting Code.
Additionally, the Ford squad has been docked 300 teams’ championship points, which means its tally has dropped a total of 420 points due to Fabian Coulthard’s latest penalty.
It has also been fined $250,000, of which $100,000 is suspended until 31 December 2021, on the condition that the team commits no further breach of Appendix B of the ISC and no breach of any of Rules B6.5.4,(Conduct Prejudicial) or D24 (Team Orders) of the Supercars Operations Manual prior to that date.
The release of the stewards decision confirms that the charge of a breach of Appendix B of the ISC was additionally laid on the team due to the “ambiguous terms” contained with Rule D24 of the Supercars Operations Manual, under which DJRTP was initially charged.
The charge is specified as follows:
The Charge
After conferring with the Stewards, the DRD subsequently laid a charge on DJRTP alleging, in lieu of a breach of Rule D24, given its ambiguous terms, a breach of Appendix B to the 2019 ISC (Code of Good Conduct), in particular the Obligation of Fairness.
The Obligation of Fairness in Appendix B to the ISC is in the following terms:
“All FIA Licence-holders and all Participants in International Competitions must not, in any way whatsoever, infringe the principles of fairness in competition, behave in an unsportsmanlike manner or attempt to influence the result of a Competition in a way that is contrary to sporting ethics, in particular within the context of betting on the Competitions registered on the International Sporting Calendar.”
DJRTP is, by virtue of the definition in the ISC, a Participant in an FIA International Competition. A breach of Appendix B to the ISC committed by a Participant is liable to a Penalty applied by the Stewards by virtue of Articles 12.2.1 and 12.2.2 of the ISC.
The stewards decision document advises that the team admitted to the breach of the ISC, reporting that: “DJRTP has admitted that in giving the direction to Car #12 to slow down after the Safety Car intervention was announced on Lap 134, it breached the Obligation of Fairness in Appendix B to the ISC.”
Stewards consider Coulthard’s penalty to be fair as he was deemed to be somewhat complicit in the breach, given that it should have become apparent to him that there was no debris on the race track in his vicinity.
They also concluded that his engineer’s mispronunciation of the word ‘debris’ in radio communications was evidence of him speaking to a ‘script’.
Nevertheless, a maiden Bathurst 1000 victory for Scott McLaughlin, Alexandre Premat, and indeed DJRTP in its current guise, does stand, and they do retain the 300 championship points which they each earned.
Coulthard, however, drops from a provisional third to fourth in the championship due to he and co-driver Tony D’Alberto receiving only 84 points as a result of the lower finishing position, and promotion of Chaz Mostert from 16th to 15th.
It is noteworthy that stewards do not have the authority to impose a fine exceeding EUR250,000, and under Supercars regulations cannot penalise a team by more than 300 points.
The penalties are officially noted in the decision document as follows:
Penalty
We impose a Penalty in the following terms:

Fine in the sum of AUD$250,000 , $100,000 of which is suspended until 31 December 2021 on condition that DJRTP commits no breach of Appendix B of the ISC or any breach of Rule B6.5.4 (Conduct Prejudicial) or D24 (Team Orders) of the Manual prior to that date; and

Car #12 is demoted to finishing position 21 in the classification for Race 25; and

The Loss of 300 2019 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship Team’s Championship Points.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Seems fair to me.
XLV SPORT
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Yeah i think it's fair. The #17 shouldn't have been affected, but the team needs to be punished and a precedent set to deter others from doing the same.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I'm disappointed.

Debris debris debris over the radio was clearly a call to initiate some scenario.

Car 17 and car 12 chief mechanics sit next to each other. How can one know where the accident was and the other didn't. Suss as fuck.
According to other teams 17 would have come out around 5th place after the stop.

Multiple cars didn't get their lap back because of it.

Guess you can buy a win in supercars these days.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

FORD is Supercars right now. 'nough said!!!

But then it's been Holden, well 888 for a long time as well.

The penalty given is the only logical one they could give post event imho.
Dukester

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Duke wrote:FORD is Supercars right now. 'nough said!!!

But then it's been Holden, well 888 for a long time as well.

The penalty given is the only logical one they could give post event imho.
Agree on all things. Just frustrates me no end
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Triple Eight’s tongue in cheek GRM tribute

Triple Eight has presented a special tongue in cheek tribute to Garry Rogers to honour his 24-year spell in Supercars following confirmation Garry Rogers Motorsport will depart the category at the end of the season.

The factory Holden squad has created a trophy out of a front upright that has been placed on a plinth and engraved with the words ‘All the best Garry. Maybe this will boost your day’.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

RBRA dominated this weekend after their main competitors whipped themselves out.

Scotty's crash today was huge as this article proves. :o

McLaughlin’s shock absorber found on GC balcony
Dukester

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I have to say what is wrong with these officials?

lose your qual time for something that happened 2 races ago? that's rubbish. cant do that. do something to his Bathurst win, or fine the team even more. cant give them penalties 2 races later.

This year has been an absolute Farce.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Bit of a joke isn’t it.

Race was pretty dull. I fast forwarded through the last 60 laps.

Unlucky for SVG. Great drive from the back. Solid middle stint of quick laps.

Surely Luke Youlden is finished as a co driver.... had a terrible enduro cup.

Lowndes and Tander co driver quality came through over the three events. Gave so much strategy flexibility.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

DJRTP are going to have to rethink their co drivers I think. Both are decent but Premat started alongside Tander at the back and was 32sec down on him when they both switched to the main drivers. Given they're the only team capable of challenging 888 they really need to find some better guys.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I vote for The Enforcer & The Dude.
Dukester

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I'm actually starting to like the dude these days.