Memory settings - New computer & need assistance

iRacing
Jiminee

Memory settings - New computer & need assistance

Post by Jiminee »

Gents

I have recently upgraded my machine as the latest iRacing updates were stretching my old girl beyond its limits, so I now have:

Intel Core i7 8700 CPU
Gigabyte GA-B360M-D3H Motherboard (LGA1151 8th Gen, 2xPCI-E, 4xDDR4, Gigabit Ethernet)
8Gb Gigabyte Nvidia RTX 2070 Windforce Graphics Card
16Gb 2400MHz DDR-4 Corsair Vengeance Memory
Antec P100 ATX Miditower Case with 650w PSU
500Gb Samsung 860EVO Solid State Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit OEM

Initially it was not running iRacing well at all, especially at Imola, though that is one or the worst tracks in iRacing, I was expecting better. Anyway I have played around with these two lines in the rendererDX11 files and it has gotten way better, but I just want to get another opinion on what numbers I should have here please:

MaxWorkingSetMB_64Bit=8000 ; (64-bit) 1024 to 8192 MB - Lower to reduce page faults!
VidMemMB=8000 ; Maximum GPU video memory to consume (MB)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim
XLV SPORT
DarrenM

Re: Memory settings - New computer & need assistance

Post by DarrenM »

These are the values of the 2 sliders at the bottom of the graphics settings screen. If you check there in game it'll also show you how much it's currently using. If they're set low, iRacing will use lower detail objects and textures to fit into the allowed memory. If they're higher than the available free memory, the system will page swap chunks of ram to system memory or the page file which is where the performance hit comes from.

With 16GB RAM you're unlikely to have issues with system memory, so no issues setting that to max.

Video memory is the more problematic one. I set mine to 4GB even though I have an 8GB card. The card might have 8GB, but iRacing doesn't detect how much is in use by other programs. For instance, just sitting here with only firefox running, streaming twitch in a second window, 2GB of video memory is being used. So if I were to set iRacing to 8GB and it tried to use more than 6 I'd get performance issues. If you use VR it'll take up another chunk making even less available to iRacing.

Trading paints can drastically increase the amount of video memory required and gives me performance problems so I don't use it at all. I wish it had a low res option. 2048x2048 textures are too much for my system in vr.

So before you start iRacing check Task Manager->Performance tab->GPU 0 and see how much video memory is being used by windows and other programs. Load up a race replay or go into a well populated practice session and look on the graphics setting screen to see how much it actually needs. Alt-tab or run iracing in a window so you can check memory usage in Task Manager again.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Thanks Darren.

I didn't add this earlier but the reason I am asking is that when I was trying to race at Imola a couple of weeks back the G and R bars on the FPS display were solid red 99% of the time indicating a bunch of page faults (I think). From my reading that means iRacing was running out of RAM and was using the HDD to try and compensate.

I might bump them both down to 7000 and see if that has any negative effect, should give me a useful buffer.

Thanks again
XLV SPORT
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I recently got a new laptop and similar issues in iRacing.

i7 8750H, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080 Max-Q and iracing either looks horrible or runs like a pig.

Not sure what the issue is.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

All in all iRacings memory usage for both are relatively low so you don't need the sliders set high and as Darren said setting them too high can cause issues. 7GB is probably higher than you need for both sliders, I can't remember exactly now but I'd be surprised if iRacing is using more than about 2-3GB of video memory. I'll try to remember and check what I have mine set at.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Exar Kun wrote:I recently got a new laptop and similar issues in iRacing.

i7 8750H, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080 Max-Q and iracing either looks horrible or runs like a pig.

Not sure what the issue is.
Are you certain it's using the 2080 and not the integrated intel gpu? I think in the nvidia control panel 3D settings you can tell it to always use the 2080.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Will check that out, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

You may need to rerun the iracing graphics config as well. There's a drop down where you can choose which adapter to use.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

In my renderer file

MaxWorkingSetMB_64Bit=5473
VidMemMB=3036

System

i5 7600k (OC to 4.0GHz)
Asus Prime Z720-P Mobo
16GB Ram
EVGA GTX 1080

So you can see my memory settings are fairly low but they're still a good amount higher than what iRacing actually uses, well last time I checked :)
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I suspect my VidMem setting was too high and it was causing issues. Seems ok now.
XLV SPORT