2019 FORMULA 1 EMIRATES GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: 2019 FORMULA 1 EMIRATES GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:I might be the odd one out but I've never expected close racing from F1. It's usually just a bonus if it happens. It's only been since DRS came in that we now regularly see overtaking, so we're used to it now. For me it's always been about who builds the best car. I'm also not giving up on this year just yet because we now have a teammate rivalry again, like we did with Lewis and Nico. If Bottas hadn't stepped up his game this year it could very easily be as boring as a couple of Schumi's years, or 92 with Mansell. That shit looks good in the history books but it makes for terrible tv. The Senna/Prost rivalry is legendary but the other teams were nowhere them. There could still easily be fireworks this year, maybe not from Bottas but Lewis may spit the dummy if things don't go his way.

If Bottas beats Hamilton, will it be a first time a world champ has been beaten by 2 different team mates?

Also...

I think it was Alan Jones that said on that podcast.. "they are cars, not aeroplanes!" Fucking great point.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Top read. Thanks for sharing that as I would have missed it.

Hard to argue with him. Please let the opportunity of 2021's rule changes not get squandered by self serving teams.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I cant see anything changing. The big teams have the FIA by the balls I reckon.

And as much as I agree with Brundle for the most part, the point about drivers body language, and the TT riders and Rossi. That is bull shit. Do we need to see drivers killed and maimed to be entertained?

If they want to keep the fabricated passing, why not limit the DRS passes to 3 per driver per race?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:Do we need to see drivers killed and maimed to be entertained?

If they want to keep the fabricated passing, why not limit the DRS passes to 3 per driver per race?

I agree with you there but my guess was he finds the halo a step too far in terms of no longer being able to tell who is behind the wheel at a quick glance.

Limiting DRS is a good idea. I always find it annoying when there is a train of cars stuck behind one slow one and EVERYONE behind opens up the DRS cancelling it out. DRS could then be used as an attacking and defensive tool, similar to Indycars push to pass.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: 2019 FORMULA 1 EMIRATES GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA

Post by w00dsy »

norbs wrote:
And as much as I agree with Brundle for the most part, the point about drivers body language, and the TT riders and Rossi. That is bull shit. Do we need to see drivers killed and maimed to be entertained?
I read it more that he was referring to the fact that drivers are now more hidden away from view deep down in cockpits behind a halo. And they're no longer the gladiator types fighting cars that take a year or two to get your head around. Despite much more limited testing rookies are on it from the first race. Back in the 80's it seemed almost like a driver would have to serve an apprenticeship, they wouldn't get to F1 until they'd proved themselves in F3000, then it'd take a couple of years in F1 before they thought about getting a top line drive. Now we're seeing guys in their late teens, with minimal experience in junior formula getting into an F1 and being quick straight away. Simulators would have a bit too do with it, but the cars must be easier to drive too. The coordination of using 3 pedals and a gear stick while one handedly dodging barriers at Monaco is long gone. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there's young drivers now that can't heel and toe. The biggest issue they'd have now is the vast amount of information being pumped into them by the engineers and they're steering wheel.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

One of the problems with the drivers being hidden could easily be solved if the teams just agreed to have the name written on it. With the on board shots some of the drivers at least have their name or their bloody instagram tag on there so you can see who it is, but not all of them do. From the outside they have plenty of room to put HAM, BOT, VET etc big and bold on the side of the halo. It's not difficult.

And I absolutely agree about all this stuff telling the driver to go strat 6 or you need to warm the rear tyres a bit more. No sod that, work it out from the feeling you're getting driving the car. They only need to know how much fuel they have left. Leave it up to them to decide how much they want to push and when. The radio should only be used to tell them gaps, when to pit and if there's a serious issue requiring them to stop.

And I think the races where Friday praccy has been cancelled seem to be better. Less time to get the optimum set up adds a little more spice to the race.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream