F1 2021 regulations

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

F1 2021 regulations

Post by Big Kev »

Thought this might warrant a new topic

Technical regulations

Aerodynamics: The new rules will simplify the look of the cars, desensitise certain areas and reduce wake to make it easier for cars to follow each other. There will be a simpler front wing, bargeboards will be banned and ground effect will be added by a long diffuser under each sidepod in order to put an emphasis on mechanical grip.

Restrictions will be introduced in a number of areas to limit the impact of aerodynamics, although the rules will still ensure visual differentiation in areas such as the nose, front wing, engine intake and sidepods.

Power units: The current 1.6-litre turbocharged hybrid powertrains will be carried forward, although to cut costs there will be new restrictions on certain materials, increased weight and the introduction of a standard fuel pump. Engine suppliers will also be obliged to provide equal-spec engines to works and customer teams.

Transmission: To make 'considerable' savings on gearbox research and development, the configurations will be frozen for a certain period, with more restrictive rules introduced in order to not 'lock in' a performance advantage for one team. One complete redesign will be allowed in a five-year cycle.

Suspension: Suspension setups will be simplified, with hydraulic systems banned and a requirement to use 'simpler' internal systems (springs and dampers).

Wheels: The size of wheels will be increased to 18in, while tyre blankets will be retained – albeit at a lower cost – for 2021 and 2022. There will be prescribed-design hubs, nuts and wheel retention systems.

Brakes: Front disc sizes will grow from 278mm to 330mm and have a simpler geometry (with fewer vent holes). A standard supply will be delayed until at least 2023.

Chassis: There are larger cockpit dimensions so that taller drivers aren’t penalised. A prescribed front floor structure will be introduced to stop teams seeking an advantage from flexible floors and strong side beam protection to aid side impact safety.

Fuel: The renewable content of the fuel used will increase to 20% for 2021, with a commitment to increase that percentage in the following years. A number of new standard parts for the fuel systems will also be introduced.
Article continues below advertisement

Weight: The minimum mass of the cars will increase from 743kg to 768kg to account for the new wheels, tyres, standard parts, safety features and heavier power units.

Safety: Cars will feature increased front energy absorbtion and side chassis strength. There will also be improved headrests and wheel tethers and new features to improve debris containment after accidents.

Sporting regulations

Races: The maximum number of races will increase to 25.

Race weekends: Weekends will be reduced to three days from the current four (which currently comprise three days of on-track action and one day of off-track events).

Development: There will be reductions in the amount of wind tunnel testing and CFD development allowed and limits on power unit dynamometer testing.

Financial regulations

The new cost cap for teams will be set at $175 million (£135m) for 21 races, adjusted by $1m (£773,000) for each race above or below that number on the calendar.

The cost cap will exclude a number of items, including driver salaries, marketing, non-F1 activities, year-end bonuses, FIA entry fees and the costs for the ‘three highest pair persons’.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
somebloke

Re: F1 2021 regulations

Post by somebloke »

Has to be a good thing surely. Needed to do something.

F1 has Hamilton dominating in a boring way.

MotoGP has Marquez dominating in an exciting way.

BTCC has 16 different winners and 3 in a championship hunt on the final race day.

V8s have been pretty shit this year with the Mustang introduction but previous year was close.

F1 has been pretty dull for so many sad years as the pinnacle of motorsport. It would be great to have it back at the top. Hopefully goes the way they plan. Like each year I’ll watch the AGP and decide from there.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Car looks good from a quick overview. Haven't read into the regs just yet but from what i understand the drive train will remain unchanged.
That McLaren looks so much better without the god awful wheel covers but I think we'll need to get use to those things again...

EDIT: Had a quick read thru that list, pity they are getting heavier but I guess it makes sense given the bigger wheels and brakes.
Race weekends: Weekends will be reduced to three days from the current four (which currently comprise three days of on-track action and one day of off-track events).
Will be interesting to see this in more detail on what they are cutting back on here.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Ill be interested to see how the teams build rear wing adjustability into these end fences with them being so heavily sculptured.
Can someone help me, is DRS dead? I havnt seen it mentioned and its not obvious of its carry over from the renders or the test mule imagery.

Image dump time.

Test mule.

Few mockups
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I like it.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

They look cool. The only problem is how long the teams have to find the inevitable loopholes and put us back where we started. :D

I've just finished Ross Brawn's book (written when he was still at Mercedes) and he talks about how the double-diffuser basically regained all the downforce they'd lost in the rule changes for 2009, and also of the problems of competition in F1. He seemed to have a good sense of what needed to be done so, unusually for an F1 fan, I have some confidence this might actually work.

Is F1 the only sport where competitors are allowed to influence the sport's rules in ways that benefit them? It's madness really. I suppose at least you know if Mercedes and Ferrari complain about something, it's probably going to be good for the sport and competition.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Overall I think it looks pretty good. A rule shake up always brings a bit of change in the top order and this is about as big as it comes. If someone like McLaren or Renault (doubt it) can get in to that top 3 and start getting podiums as well I think it could look very good. It's not much to ask to go to a race weekend and not know who might win!

The only way we'd get BTCC type results is to have win ballast. I quite like that idea but the teams objected pretty early I think.
My Flickr Stream
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Don't know if I agree with the new penalties mentioned at 6:20.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Kev did they object to success ballast?

I remember they objected very early to qualifying races etc
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I think it was one of the things that was mooted but crossed off pretty early. I suspect the big teams didn't like the idea of missing out on win bonuses and sponsor opportunities for winning if they're artificially slowed down.

Sky saying the wheel covers won't be there on the final cars, they're just for a wind tunnel model.
My Flickr Stream
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They should have gone to V-10's with KERS. A dozen engines per car for the year.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah the engine thing is the only thing that im worried about, especially now they are saying 3 engines per year.. I bet you could make 24 NA V10's before the price of a single hybrid one.. but I guess like most motorsports they are drunk of the manfactatures money, and know that they could lose 2 or 3 manafactures if they go back to that model.

Overall I think its well done, the cost cap seems reasonable and i like the idea of classifying parts. I would hope that they could start moving parts between each of the classification depending on what they are looking to achive year on year.. for example. Say in 2022 they are finding teams are spending a bunch of money/research on a suspension part like a dampener, they can turn around in 2023 saying, this is stupid for this part to be a big difference maker, lets supply this, or open source it.