Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020!

General game chat
pab

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020!

Post by pab »

Jamo wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:02 pm A hell of a lot of the flying in that clip would cost a Pilot his license.

And yes Norbs in the case of Pine Gap probably a prison term.
Reminds me of a story my dad used to tell. We lived in Whyalla and he was a football umpire, every now and then they'd send him around the state to do games in other towns. One weekend he did a game at Ceduna, He flew over in a light plane, just him and the pilot, they flew back that night after the game. This would have been back in the 70's.

At one point on the flight back, in the dark, the pilot mentioned that he was surprised that they hadn't seen the lights of a town that should have been directly below them, they assumed there was a blackout. Next thing an American voice comes over the radio letting them know that they'd just entered the restricted airspace of the Woomera airbase, and that if they didn't identify themselves they'd be shot down.

Turns out the pilot had taken off his watch during the flight back, and put it on the dashboard....

Right beside the compass.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

Well, yesterday I completed my F1-2022 fan flight tour. Setting out from Sydney (YSSY) on March 6th in the Cessna Citatation Longitude business jet, I flew to a suitable airport as reasonably close to each race location as I could, and then returned to Sydney.

The trip included 42 legs, the longest being 3008 nautical miles, for a total of 81,186 nm. I also used the midsummer break to fly to Finland and I also have one extra stop in Austin, TX after mistakenly flying there rather than Miami. This year I managed to complete the whole circuit without any crashes (just two excursions off the runway after unexpectedly strong gusts). Taking into account the time acceleration I used on most legs, this all amounted to about 110 hours of seat time.

(All my flights can be seen on my fshub.io profile)

Now to work out what to do for next year.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
petey

Post by petey »

That is a fantastic idea, awesome work.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Cursed

Post by Cursed »

So I've now come up with a tentative plan for the F1 2023 season. For 2023, it's not going to be some rich boy's private jet jaunt, this year will be the (mostly) Airbus tourist version. I'll be using the following criteria:
  • Starting and ending from Kingsford Smith Airport (YSSY).
  • Look up available tourist flights online to get to the closest city to the next race.
  • Apply the following flight distance to aircraft range rule:
    1. Up to 3000nm - FlyByWire A320 Neo (freeware mod)
    2. 3000 to 5000nm - MSFS/iniBuilds A310-300 (included free in 40th anniversary update for everyone)
    3. 5000nm plus - Headwinds A330-900 (freeware mod) Will need to sub in the Boeing 787 or 747 for these ranges.
  • A suitable Euro summer holiday for the summer break. Ibiza? Greek Islands? Where are the Euro's going for summer?
  • Occasionally do a touristy helicopter flight around the track or local attractions in the Airbus H135 helicopter (freeware mod)
All planes are quite complex, so I'm going to be spending some time to learn how to use them. After seeing some reviews of the A330-900 mod, I have decided that I'll go with the more mature 787-10 and 747-8i mods for the very long range legs.

Mods can be found here:
FBW A32NX (A320-neo) - https://flightsim.to/file/8486/flybywire-a32nx
Headwinds A330-900 - https://flightsim.to/file/18198/airbus- ... conversion (Turns out this mod isn't really ready enough)
HPG Airbus H135 Helicopter - https://flightsim.to/file/8970/airbus-h ... er-project
Heavy Division Boeing B78XH (787-10 inprovement mod): https://hdsimulations.com/downloads/
Salty Simulations 74S (787-8i Improvement mod): Available through the FBW Installer, linked in the A32NX mod page above.

If folks are interested I can run a thread here somewhere to track progress.

(EDIT - Need to disregard the A330 mod. Will use the the built-in Boeing 787-10 or 747-8i for the really long range, but will use suitable improvement mods for them)
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197962772149]Image[/url]
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Cool plan
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »