Zwift Alternatives (RGT, ROUVY, FULGAZ)

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Zwift Alternatives (RGT, ROUVY, FULGAZ)

Post by Duke »

So it looks like I am officially hooked on Cycling again especially given the new virtual cycling fad... Meaning no more excuses of not riding cause of poor & cold weather.
After buying a smart trainer in Jan (Elite Direto) & initially starting with Zwift which I love, I have now prostituted myself & started to look as the alternatives on the market.
Thought I would post my initial thoughts here & also detail some of the current offers each have at the moment particularly related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have tried any of them or others I haven't, then give us your thoughts as well. :nod:

RGT (pka: Road Grand Tours)
Much like Zwift uses Computer generated graphics (Unity engine) but looks more life like & not fictional (cartoon'ish) compared to Zwift.
Pretty easy to setup but is quirky as you need to use the phone app & pair it to the PC app to get it all running.
The 1 ride (Cap de Formentor) I have done was stunning & really enjoyable.
But it does lack the community that Zwift has, I have only seen a handful of ppl on each route & it only has 8 "real road" routes so far.
Free version give you access to all the "real road" routes & events. Paid version is USD$14.99/month which includes access to workouts & event creation mainly.
Current offer: ALL PREMIUM FEATURES ARE FREE DUE TO COVID-19
HOW: To access RGT Cycling for free
- Download the app and register
- Send an empty email to rideitout@rgtcycling.com from the same email account you used to register for RGT.
- That’s it!
DO NOT SUBSCRIBE USING THE APP STORE UNLESS YOU WISH TO CONTRIBUTE TO OUR CAUSE!
ROUVY
Real word video's as Virtual Routes, 70 iconic places and race courses, 7,000 km of certified routes, 3,000 route films
Some routes also have Augment Roads which is animated 3D riders projected onto the 2D videos.
3D riders can be either real-time users on the same course or you add unlimited numbers of virtual 3D riders from other real riders previous timed rides (completed under the races option)
Stick to the ROUVY "AR, Certified & Created" routes as the community routes are a bit hit & miss in their quality, accuracy & video skips / footage cuts (for red lights, etc).
Again not many other users on each route & the 3D rider augmentation doesn't look that great but is very unique.
I have really enjoyed the two AR route / climbs I have done even when the video goes into slows motion when your riding slower than the speed they were recorded.
They offer Free 14 day trial period on initial sign-up. During the trial period all premium features are enabled. Once the trial expires the app will not allow rides to exceed 1 hour.
Paid version is tiered with the top tier Premium 12-month plan costing USD$10 / month.
Current offer: #RideForItaly (COVID-19) 30 day extended Free trial period

FULGAZ
Real word video's as Virtual Routes much like ROUVY without the 3D virtual riders but heavily focussed on offering 4K video content.
Haven't tried it yet but will do so after ROUVY trial ends.
They offer Free 14 day trial period on initial sign-up but once expired you need to subscribe to continue using it.
Paid version is either monthly @ AUD$18.99 or yearly @ AUD157.99), so not cheap...

BigRingVR
"high definition video quality and realistic virtual riding experience that incorporates easy integration with most cycling trainers. 368 rides from 11 countries (more coming), 8,674 kilometers, 280,995 meters of elevation gain. Epic climbs like Alpe d'Huez, Mont Ventoux, Monte Zoncolan, Passo Mortirolo, Passo Stelvio, Grossglockner, El Teide, many others."
Free 14 day trial period on initial sign-up but once expired you need to subscribe to continue using it. $10 / month or less per month if you take the 6 month or 12 month option.
ANT+ connection only at this time.

Bonus:
I successfully tested running Zwift without the trainer connected as controllable while riding ROUVY routes yesterday.
Is a great way to keep the Zwift km's & XP ticking along while using another virtual app. :p :yes:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
pixelboy

Re: Zwift Alternatives (RGT, ROUVY, FULGAZ)

Post by pixelboy »

oh no... its FOV all over again :)
eek
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

There's an app for Assetto Corsa to support a smart trainer. Not sure how difficult it is to get running, or if you can export your session to strava.

https://github.com/dmwnz/SimCycling
Duke wrote:Current offer: ALL PREMIUM FEATURES ARE FREE DUE TO COVID-19
HOW: To access RGT Cycling for free
- Download the app and register
- Send an empty email to rideitout@rgtcycling.com from the same email account you used to register for RGT.
- That’s it!
DO NOT SUBSCRIBE USING THE APP STORE UNLESS YOU WISH TO CONTRIBUTE TO OUR CAUSE!
Thanks for the heads up. Here's something I wanted to try with their Magic road feature but didn't want to subscribe just for that. I'll have to try it in the free version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

That looks pretty cool Darren but not sure how accurate it would end up being, guess if it is used on a laser scanned track then it might be close to realistic.

Funnily I have found a few race tracks with video on ROUVY but haven't tried any of them yet
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Circuit de Monaco (4 Laps - 13Km)
Villeneuve Race Track
Road America Track
Sebring Racetrack Loop
AMP Circuit Race 2019
Tsukuba Circuit 9 Laps
Isle of Man Mountain Circuit

I also found out an annoying thing with ROUVY;
If you do a route in "race" mode to get a timed entry in the leader-board the app locks you into 100% realistic setting. Whereas if you do it in "training" mode you have set values you can choose for realistic level from 0% to 200% but your time is not recorded in the leader-boards. I find 100% is not ideal with all these virtual cycling apps & I typically use 70% in ROUVY.
So my ride yesterday was much more difficult as my cadence was "unrealistcally" low for the gearing & what my trainer resistance can achieve.
Dukester

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote: I also found out an annoying thing with ROUVY;
If you do a route in "race" mode to get a timed entry in the leader-board the app locks you into 100% realistic setting. Whereas if you do it in "training" mode you have set values you can choose for realistic level from 0% to 200% but your time is not recorded in the leader-boards. I find 100% is not ideal with all these virtual cycling apps & I typically use 70% in ROUVY.
So my ride yesterday was much more difficult as my cadence was "unrealistcally" low for the gearing & what my trainer resistance can achieve.
I will just drop this quote from a different thread in here....
Duke wrote:100% Trainer Difficulty or don't bother norbs, you know that right... :p
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:
Duke wrote: I also found out an annoying thing with ROUVY;
I will just drop this quote from a different thread in here....
Duke wrote:100% Trainer Difficulty or don't bother norbs, you know that right... :p
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
LMAO!!!
Dukester

DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Duke wrote:That looks pretty cool Darren but not sure how accurate it would end up being, guess if it is used on a laser scanned track then it might be close to realistic.
I wouldn't expect it to be super accurate since it's based on terrain elevation data. Just a reasonable approximation of what it would be like to ride the track with a enough of a visual representation that I could tell where I am on the circuit.

With Summit it's possible to get a gpx of other peoples rides from Strava but I don't know if you could get just the lap segment.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5539685
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Found 2 routes with videos of Nurby on ROUVY.
It looks like the first one might be the better version as it is newer & the comments on the 2nd one say it is out of sync.

Nürburgring_RaR
24h Nürburgring
Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Bkool is another one you might want to look at too :)

And if you just want to ride courses alone, then maybe have a look at the Tacx and Elite software
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Topical... I have added BigRingVR into the 1st post so I remember to try it at some point.

Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

As far as improving fitness, nothing beats The Sufferfest.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:As far as improving fitness, nothing beats The Sufferfest.
i've not tried sufferfest, though i have tried in the past to use trainer workouts on our old Bushido. Never really kept at it. I think the problem for me is that there was no just-ride option like there is on Zwift. I suspect Sufferfest might be similar for me. I don't have enough motivation to get on the trainer day after day to do workouts. More power to you if you do though!
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:As far as improving fitness, nothing beats The Sufferfest.
i've not tried sufferfest, though i have tried in the past to use trainer workouts on our old Bushido. Never really kept at it. I think the problem for me is that there was no just-ride option like there is on Zwift. I suspect Sufferfest might be similar for me. I don't have enough motivation to get on the trainer day after day to do workouts. More power to you if you do though!

it is just another option. I find i am easily sucked into the videos, even though i know what is coming. It doesnt work for some people. I find the Zwift workout mode frustrating.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I will give Sufferfest & TrainerRoad a go eventually when I get more serious into workouts in Winter & I have just started a workout plan in Zwift to see what it is like.
But I don't see these apps as Zwift alternatives just like I don't see Zwift being a real challenger to them for workouts.

I believe you can overlay TR workouts in Zwift but I am not aware you can do that for Sufferfest per say.
@norbs can you at least download a Sufferfest workout file to upload to Zwift if that floats your boat?
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Duke wrote:I will give Sufferfest & TrainerRoad a go eventually when I get more serious into workouts in Winter & I have just started a workout plan in Zwift to see what it is like.
But I don't see these apps as Zwift alternatives just like I don't see Zwift being a real challenger to them for workouts.

I believe you can overlay TR workouts in Zwift but I am not aware you can do that for Sufferfest per say.
@norbs can you at least download a Sufferfest workout file to upload to Zwift if that floats your boat?

They are out there, but virtually useless without the app and videos.

Put it this way, I always use Zwift, but at times have thought about suspending my subscription to get riding outside more.

I very rarely use The Sufferfest, but have never thought of cancelling. I did a 10 week plan a few years back and it was a hard slog, but I felt really strong when I finished it. And I am starting another 10 week plan next week.
GOAL
To gain cycling fitness after taking an extended period of time off the bike, or for those who have limited cycling experience

BEST FOR
Those with 4-5 hours per week available to train

TRAINING BLOCKS
2 weeks on, 1 week off

PLAN ENDS WITH
Full Frontal (Fitness Test)

SPECIAL NOTES
This is the 10 week GCN "Do the Plan with Dan" program. Former Cervelo Test Team rider turned GCN presenter Dan Lloyd took on a Sufferfest training plan to see how much fitness he could gain in 10 short weeks of minimal volume and a little cross-training. Learn more about his journey and results here:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: it is just another option. I find i am easily sucked into the videos, even though i know what is coming. It doesnt work for some people. I find the Zwift workout mode frustrating.
Admittedly, the workouts that i did were non-video based. maybe if i can get th motivation i ought to try out the free trial on Sufferfest. Part of the problem right now is that I want to keep riding (and i reckon i'm doing okay there) but there's absolutely nothing on the horizon to train for.. That probably all points to me needing to get my head into the correct space first
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

The Assetto Corsa mod got released last week for those wanting another alternative
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ ... sa.182783/
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Says it outputs a .fit file which you might be able to upload to strava. I'll have to give it a shot.

Works in multiplayer as well. Line and overtaking are controlled by the AI pathing or you can steer via a phone.

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Motivated by Cycling Australia's Tour of Australia, i've been trying FulGaz.

Man, what a clusterfuck. I certainly miss Zwift's "it just works" feel.

First attempt didn't work well. Fulgaz didn't see my Neo at all. I figured (based on reading a few websites) that maybe it needed Bluetooth rather than Ant+. So i went out and bought a Bluetooth dongle. Seemed to work fine enough when i tried that.

I then encouraged V to try it. Installed on the second computer. It instantly picks up my Neo via Ant+. FFS. More to the point, it finds my trainer, and then refuses to look further and find the Drivo. So i need to unplug the Neo to get it to connect to the correct trainer.

Just last night it took 10-15 minutes to get things recognised by FulGaz.
V had left her HR strap (a Powercal) nearby after a trail run. Fulgaz found that, and stopped looking for other useful things... you know, like trainers and my own HR Strap. :rolleyes:

I had a strong intention of going for a yearly sub (since that also includes a second subscription for a family member) to add a bit of variety to trainering. But i suspect i won't bother. The effort level required to get it working brings me right back to my first attempts at using trainer software with the Tacx Bushido many years ago. Tacx Rage was a thing, and it really put me off using it.

YMMV
norbs

Post by norbs »

I would like to use it, as I believe it is developed here, but Im with you Carl, it is a fucking mess.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Oh man.. yet more FulGaz clusterfuckery :/

Thought it might be a plan to have V do her FulGaz Tour of Aus stage while i do a ride on Rouvy.

I have RouvyAR fired up, everything connected via Bluetooth.

Multiple attempts to get FulGaz to recognise the correct trainer and HR Strap (probably about 5 restarts, since the refresh button seems to do sweet FA). Finally manage that, connecting everything via Ant+. V starts pedalling all happy.

I jump on and start pedalling to check all is right with Rouvy, when i hear "Something doesn't seem right with this" from V. sure enough, V's video has stopped. I start pedalling again and V's video starts moving. FFS. FulGaz decided to switch trainers mid-ride. What's the point of selecting trainers and sensors if it'll just go with whatever it feels like anyway?

I unplug my trainer and after yet another restart of FulGaz, V can do her ride. Hopefully to completion.. but i guess we'll wait and see on that front.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

ahhh.. the adventures with FulGaz continued last night.

V decided last night to have a crack at Stage 3 of the Tour of Australia. 3 laps of Bathurst, so likely to be an effort for her. Video pre-downloaded to avoid lag. The usual nonsense pre-ride. My trainer needs to be unplugged so it picks up the correct trainer and as a precaution i'm not going to ride at the same time.

All seemed well, until cresting the mountain for the third time, when the video and everything freezes. :( Alt-tabbing to the desktop to see if there's any indication of something amiss and FulGaz decides it's had enough and just closes :(

Now filled with rage, V decides to try again... 2 laps in and pretty much the same story. :( This time we left it and i went about my ride on the trainer next door. for nearly 2 hours it'd just sit there inching forward every couple of minutes. After completion of my ride i unplugged the ant+ cable and instantly fulgaz closes.

To be fair to fulgaz, it does seem to work okay on my setup [i5 desktop+Tacx Neo via bluetooth] (it's even started seeing my trainer via Ant+ for some reason), but on the setup V is using [i7 laptop+Elite Drivo via Ant+]... it's a disaster.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

based on an email i just received, it seems like Wahoo have bought RGT. Interesting development given they recently picked up SufferFest. I wonder if this is the start of an attempt to knock Zwift off it's perch? interesting times ahead I suspect!
norbs

Post by norbs »

They will need to do a lot to displace Zwift. But more competition is good.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:03 am They will need to do a lot to displace Zwift. But more competition is good.
absolutely agree.. I think trying to drag people from Zwift is going to be a hard ask at this stage. I'd love for it to succeed, but RGT has been going for a while and just doesn't have quite the wow-factor that Zwift has. They'd have to do something pretty special to make this work.

DC Rainmaker has a bit more info on it:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/04/wah ... ption.html