Zwift Alternatives (RGT, ROUVY, FULGAZ)

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Zwift Alternatives (RGT, ROUVY, FULGAZ)

Post by CLP »

not sure if anyone has tried this one. It's free, so might be an option if you're looking to stop paying Zwift :)
https://mywhoosh.com/

DC Rainmaker write up:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/07/a-l ... ainer.html
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I'll give it a shot next. I usually feel good after a shower, so a little sportwash should do the same, right?

Tried BKOOL last month and it's not bad but felt pretty limited. The routes are nearly all point to point and you can choose video feed or 3d modeled view. I didn't mind that too much, but it was harder to find routes matching what I felt like riding at the time than Zwift and you can't just continue riding if you feel like it. It has user made workouts but I didn't try any of those.

I prefer its hud overlay to zwift. Easier to read what's going on with power, heart rate etc and also shows how long to the end of the route.

Biggest downside is how it handles elevation. Felt very low res with sudden transitions between gradients. Made it feel more like an exercise bike effort than a virtual road ride.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Well that's a bust. The windows app doesn't appear to support ant+ and for some reason the android app can't be installed. Doesn't show when searching play store and when following their link to the app page the install button is greyed out.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Bugger.

I think the lack of Ant+ in the windows version is mentioned in one of the compatibility pages that read.
Android 10+ is apparently required :o I wonder if my Chromebook will work? :/ Might have to give that i try soon.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I managed to install it on my Chromebook.

Sorting out accounts and log in details has been a pain though. I initially tried to setup an account via the web browser.. enter details, click submit, and.. well, nothing. did it work? no idea. Try the same details in the app. Nope, not setup.

Create the account via the app and things seemed to go okay. The app picks up my Tacx Neo that's sitting in the other room. The pairing screen looks remarkably like the Zwift one.

Figured i'd link up my strava account before i really get started. Like Zwift, you need to do that via the profile page using a web browser. Enter the details.. and.. nothing. no profile page, no failure message. nothing. Rightio. maybe i mis-keyed my password?

Select password reset. "invalid email address" :/

go through a few rounds of this. Then i notice in my email, that there's a one-time-password that was sent in response to my password reset request. try that in the web browser. apparently this triggers another OTP to be sent. so i try that.. another one gets sent. :/ repeat this a few times.. :/

At this point I have not idea what my actual password is. :P so i log back into the app to see if my original password is still going strong. This then tells me that my password has expired, fair enough. This apparently triggers a password reset email being sent.

So I change my password, and try to log into the profile page via the web browser. Still no dice. I might log a support request and see if they have any ideas why I can't log into my profile page.

I suspect I could actually try it out, but it just won't be logged in Strava. Might give it a quick go later today.

<sigh>
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

For reasons unknown to me, when i logged into my Mywhoosh account today everything worked fine.. <shrugs> So i linked it up with strava and had a bit of a go at it this evening.

It's not too bad. I should qualify that by noting that the Chromebook i was using is fairly underwhelming in the horsepower department, so there were a frequent micro-stutters which was relatively annoying. Interestingly, they weren't present while travelling over ~40km/h. I may investigate further using a i7 laptop and see if that's any better.

Graphic-wise it looks pretty reasonable, with the rider animation looking pretty good, particularly when the rider is out of the saddle.

For my brief test I chose one of the the Woolongong courses. It seems that they have taken a leaf out of Zwift's playbook and relocated Woolongong into the middle of the ocean just south of Ghana.

Overall.. I'll probably give it another go. will it replace Zwift for me? maybe not in the short to medium term. Depending on what you're looking for in trainer software, it might be worth a look, assuming your PC/tablet hardware is up to spec to run it.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Further update... Since i recently purchased a new Samsung 10" tablet while they were on sale I thought i'd try running MyWhoosh on there. Performance was slightly better than on my Chromebook, but still not great. Suspect that if you were to want to use this on a tablet you'd be needing a pretty high end version.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

CLP wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:27 pm Bye Bye RGT .. :/

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/10/wah ... g-app.html
Not a surprise, but this is... :eek:
We deeply appreciate your membership and loyalty, and we understand this news may be inconvenient. To make this transition smoother for you, we’ve arranged an exclusive one-time offer: 3 months of complimentary Zwift membership. With Zwift, you can continue to ride, race, and connect with fellow Wahooligans in the virtual world. This combination offers you the best of both worlds: structured training excellence with Wahoo SYSTM and access to the world’s largest virtual riding community through the Zwift app —an unbeatable combination.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

And I just cancelled my Sytm sub scription. grrr
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.