Film scenes that annoy you

Chat about stuff you've seen
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Film scenes that annoy you

Post by Big Kev »

I was watching The Martian last night and there's one scene that always annoys me in this film and spoils it to a certain extent. [SPOILERS! :) ] It's where Mindy Park, out of the blue, gets an email from Vincent Kapoor pointing out that Whatney is alive. No build up, him sitting at home idly looking at images of the base and suddenly realising things are different, no explanation in the email for her to check that picture and compare it to one from 30 sols ago. Nuthin!!!!! grrrr....

And another ......

Star Trek the motion picture - When Vger attacks the starfleet base near the start, there's an astronaut space walking and they're drifting towards the camera and the model bumps in to the camera a split second before the scene cuts. You had one job to do, editor!!!
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Re: Film scenes that annoy you

Post by durbster »

I'm pretty passive with films, and I enjoy watching shit films so can put up with a lot (e.g. I watched Drone the other night, about a serial killer who gets trapped inside a Drone and goes around killing people :D).

The weirdest example that I cannot even begin to justify is (as I remember) the very first shot in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. It's just a shot of somebody walking down a road, but it goes on for longer than it should and annoyed me so much that it put me in a bad mood for the whole film. I should watch it again because it was totally irrational and I hear it's rather good :D

The only other film that had a similar effect was The Social Network. The opening scene with Zuckerberg on a date or something. I realised that the film was going to present him as a kind of superhero with bizarre powers, rather than be a realistic portrayal of a bloke who made something that took off. It annoyed me and I hated the film from then on.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The Force Awakens.......

Those fucking chickens should be terrified!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I just remembered, it even spawned a thread!

http://arseforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 89#p443589
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Norbs, those chicken are use to robots being in their lives. Our chickens are not. That's why they shit themselves when you say boo to them let alone a rolling ball past them.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

:rofl:
norbs

Post by norbs »

Dr. Pain wrote:Norbs, those chicken are use to robots being in their lives. Our chickens are not. That's why they shit themselves when you say boo to them let alone a rolling ball past them.

Does that ball live on that planet? I bet if you asked those chickens they wouldnt know what it was! What the cluck??????? :rofl2:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

But they're Jedi chickens. The roosters probably use weird grammar like "doo cockadoodle, you must" or some shit.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I find it weird that you think the most unbelievable part of the Star Wars story is chickens not being scared.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:I find it weird that you think the most unbelievable part of the Star Wars story is chickens not being scared.
It isnt, there is a lot that I find annoying. It was just that that is literally 2 minutes into the movie and it drove me mad. At least you guys could gave baffled me with SW lore or something. Like the ball thing used the force to sneak up on the chickens. :D
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

But it did. The force can make things go invisible and then there is stealth technology that we don't understand as they are more advanced.... And whats that? Would I like a hot cup of shut the fuck up?! :rofl:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Any scene where someone has to tell another person something vitally important but the other person cuts them off once or twice, so they give up and don't tell them even though it's vitally important. Especially if they're in a situation where they would have spent plenty of time together giving time to talk.

We need to drive all the way across town to meet some guy, but we've had our 15 second conversation so lets just sit in silence until we arrive and get shot at because you couldn't be bothered telling me the guy wants to shoot us.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Someone answers the phone and the other person says 'turn on the tv'. It's already on the right channel and it's just starting, and they never wait until the end, they just turn the tv off. Also people never say goodbye on telephones.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Americans always have change in their pockets for a pay phone
Speed

Post by Speed »

I was annoyed by the race scenes in Rush.
At Brands Hatch they were racing wheel to wheel but the cars changed direction like they were doing about 5KPH.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Yeah the racing scenes in Rush were weird and they somehow managed to make them look really slow and dull. It lost me at the first spin with the impossible physics of the car movements.

Then again, has anyone seen Driven?
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

The old cow tossing the jewel into the ocean at
The end of titanic.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Lots annoyed me about The Last Jedi but it had already lost me at the opening scene where crazy slow resistance ships gravity bombed a huge first order ship. In space. WW2 style. And they still managed to take it out. Star Wars has always relied heavily on suspension of disbelief but that scene set the tone for the whole film and really ruined it for me.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

The Force Awakens was shit. The Last Jedi was a fucking abomination and would probably get my vote for worst movie I've ever seen. The new stupidly titled one is both shit and utterly forgettable. Solo utterly forgettable, I doubt that poor bastard roped in to sub for Ford, career will ever recover.

Fuck Disney.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Not exactly film, but anything Chanel 9 does at the moment drives me nuts. Seriously, they will sensationalise the opening of a beer can.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Nigel wrote:Not exactly film, but anything Chanel 9 does at the moment drives me nuts. Seriously, they will sensationalise the opening of a beer can.
To be fair, I make a bit of ceremony about that too. :)
w00dsy

Re: RE: Re: Film scenes that annoy you

Post by w00dsy »

Nigel wrote:Not exactly film, but anything Chanel 9 does at the moment drives me nuts. Seriously, they will sensationalise the opening of a beer can.
I haven't watched free to air for years for that exact reason. Even the reality tv shows make a big deal about boring shit.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
When Rey and Fin are sprinting to the ship and she does the line about they've got a pilot and the garbage will do. She says the lines as if she's just standing still and not out of breath from sprinting 200m.....like Fin does. Sticks out a mile. They should have got her to run up a couple of flights of stairs and then do the voice over of the line.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Bride and I watched the start of a series she'd been recommended. First scene was one of my most-hated cliches - man awakes from a nightmare by sitting bolt upright, gasping (filmed from the end of the bed, so the frightened face fills the frame).

I was expecting it to be followed by my second on the list - person washes their face in the bathroom and stares at themselves in the mirror in a tortured way.

Later on, it hit the jackpot. A second identical waking up suddenly from a nightmare by sitting bolt upright scene, but we then get to see that was also a nightmare when he does another identical waking up from a nightmare by sitting bolt upright scene at the end of that one! That's when I tapped out.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Sounds exactly like the sort of show my wife would watch.