My CMX 500 S Rebel

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Sarsippius

Re: RE: Re: My CMX 500 S Rebel

Post by Sarsippius »

Santaria wrote:Is it your first bike mate?

If it is, don't buy new. You could get a 2014-2016 Ninja 300 for around those dollars and they're generally cheap to repair, plenty of bits and pieces and bomb proof. They're super comfy and go like the clappers. So many people buy them new and then upgrade when they get their bigboy licenses so most only have around 15,000ks and less on them.

Better than Austrian Dirt bike engines in road bikes (RC390 is single cylinder). In saying that, buy what you want, but please ride it first. You'll be surprised how cramped a lot of them are but don't look it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Unfortunately there's very little choice up here, there's like 11 second hand bikes for sale in total in the Darwin area, it's weird atm even with cars there's not much for sale. It's related to the pandemic in some way but not sure how exactly. I have considered the Ninja 400 but they're an extra $1.5k and for what I want I don't think I can justify the extra cost, even if Jap bikes are more reliable.

I took the KTM for a test ride yesterday and it seems like a good bike, I'm 186cm and it wasn't cramped. I've owned a Suzuki Across and a GSX 750F in a past life before writing off the 750 in a big accident which put an end to my riding about 12 years ago. It's the main reason I'm not that interested in riding on the street much and more interested in track days.

I've considered a 600 or 750 supersport but they're a big jump up in cost, there's a 2011 ZX-6R with 19k on the clock for $6k up here which could be an option but I think the small bike is probably the better way to go for me right now in most respects.
Dr. Pain

Re: My CMX 500 S Rebel

Post by Dr. Pain »

This might help, though it is a 2017 model...

Minister for Religious Genocide.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Sarsippius wrote:
Santaria wrote:Is it your first bike mate?

If it is, don't buy new. You could get a 2014-2016 Ninja 300 for around those dollars and they're generally cheap to repair, plenty of bits and pieces and bomb proof. They're super comfy and go like the clappers. So many people buy them new and then upgrade when they get their bigboy licenses so most only have around 15,000ks and less on them.

Better than Austrian Dirt bike engines in road bikes (RC390 is single cylinder). In saying that, buy what you want, but please ride it first. You'll be surprised how cramped a lot of them are but don't look it.

Unfortunately there's very little choice up here, there's like 11 second hand bikes for sale in total in the Darwin area, it's weird atm even with cars there's not much for sale. It's related to the pandemic in some way but not sure how exactly. I have considered the Ninja 400 but they're an extra $1.5k and for what I want I don't think I can justify the extra cost, even if Jap bikes are more reliable.

I took the KTM for a test ride yesterday and it seems like a good bike, I'm 186cm and it wasn't cramped. I've owned a Suzuki Across and a GSX 750F in a past life before writing off the 750 in a big accident which put an end to my riding about 12 years ago. It's the main reason I'm not that interested in riding on the street much and more interested in track days.

I've considered a 600 or 750 supersport but they're a big jump up in cost, there's a 2011 ZX-6R with 19k on the clock for $6k up here which could be an option but I think the small bike is probably the better way to go for me right now in most respects.
When I used to ride sportsbikes (traded for a cruiser) we had a couple of guys with KTM's. A 390 and a 1290 Superduke. It was always being repaired for something and parts were always "coming soon." Dirtbike wise, I think they have a pretty decent footprint and aftermarket support, not so much in road bikes. I have ridden a Ninja 300, but not a 390. I have plenty of room on a 300 (182cm tall).

It's your choice, obviously. In your shoes, I would absolutely choose a Jap bike over a KTM.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I appreciate the advice, I'm going to see if the ZX-6R is still for sale, it might be a better option, it's cheaper and not something I think I'll ever find lacking in power.

For what it's worth the KTM sales guy owns and tracks an RC 390 which I think says something. KTM reliability definitely gets mentioned a fair bit online but it's hard to know how much of it is just talk.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Sarsippius wrote:I appreciate the advice, I'm going to see if the ZX-6R is still for sale, it might be a better option, it's cheaper and not something I think I'll ever find lacking in power.

For what it's worth the KTM sales guy owns and tracks an RC 390 which I think says something. KTM reliability definitely gets mentioned a fair bit online but it's hard to know how much of it is just talk.
True. Harley Davidson cop a bad wrap for reliability, but they seem pretty decent. They're massively overpriced and I think that gets the sour taste in people's mouths to start with, lol.

I always say people tend to justify their purchase too. I speak positive to Jap bike because that's all I've had and invested my cash into. I guess we all do that and we pick on the Honda guys Image

richo

Post by richo »

They don't have the nickname ATM for nothing :)
[]D [] []v[] []D
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Santaria wrote:I guess we all do that and we pick on the Honda guys Image
:arseshake:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I've watched a lot of guys on YouTube doing long distance adventure riding and the KTM's probably account for 90% of the mechanical issues I've seen. They're great bikes but gee they seem fragile. It's probably how they get them so light. More than once I've heard the saying 'if you want to get there fast go european, if you want to get home again go japanese'.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
StanDaam

Post by StanDaam »

Just to add to the bad rep KTM road bikes seem to have, my mate at work just bought a 790 Duke about 2 weeks ago. 1000kms on the clock, he has spent the whole time transferring it back to the shop. It started out with a wrong thermy installed, then a few other bits, the last complaint being a rusty fuel tank. He now just wants to get his money back. I told my neighbour biker dude about what bike he was getting and his reaction has come true, 'ah those European bikes...'
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

My bike has the same engine as the CBR500R....

About 46 hp and mine has a different map but it's pretty sweet. Easy does freeway speeds and then some like 140+ :D But they are not limited unlike the 650's. Not sure how it would go on a track but it would be reliable.

I have seen some nice Ninja's pop up on bike sales but the good ones sell fast but getting one in Darwin might be tough.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

So I successfully dodged the KTM and picked this up on Tuesday :D
Ninja ZX600R.jpg
2011 ZX-6R

The guy was really good and let me borrow his helmet, he said something about going around the block but I took it for a good 20-30 minute ride. I picked up a few pointers from a local mechanic on what to look for (down at Hidden Valley the same morning as the racing/ride day was on that day). To my untrained eye everything looks good and it feels good but I've got it booked in for the 24k service even though it's only got 19k on the clock, just to be on the safe side. $5.5k plus about $1.5k in riding gear and I'm even with the cost of a new RC390 so I think I've done pretty well.

I haven't really wrung it's neck yet as I've been crook a few days but getting it up into the power band a few times on the test ride and it's super quick :melt:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richo

Post by richo »

That is a nice bike , well done !
[]D [] []v[] []D
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Congrats mate! 600 Supersports go like stink.

Enjoy your crotch rocket

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Gotta love a Ninja. :yes:

Good to see you've been getting some Corona antibodies into you too!
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

hehe the Coronas are what the father in-law and his friends drink, I normally drink Great Northern middys as I don't drink a lot and you can usually get 30 packs on sale for $50 :yes:

I've been crook all week since picking up the bike so I haven't even been able to take if for a ride yet :cry:

I've got nearly all my riding gear now though, helmet, gloves, boots, pants, just waiting for my jacket to arrive and working out which back, knee and hip armour to get. I'm very safety conscious, aiming to have CE Level 2 protection for all the armour, well hips is probably the only one where I can only get Level 1.

I've also been binging a lot of stuff on Youtube, Motojitsu is a good one to check out for riding tips. He has a little grading system for slow speed manoeuvres, from white through black belt which I plan to work my way through. Another good one is Dave Moss Tuning, it's more sport bike oriented but there's some good info there on bike ergonomics and getting things set up on the bike optimally.

I'm booked in for a riding course in a few weeks, the one for those moving up to their restricted license, I have my full license but it'll be good for refreshing all my skills. The last ride day for the year is the week before that, I'm tempted but figure I better wait till next year with a bit more practice under the belt.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Maybe I should start my own thread, unless your happy to have more general bike talk in here Pain.
ZX-6R.jpg
Off for a ride :)

After doing 300 odd km over a few weeks I felt comfortable enough to head down to Hidden Valley on Sunday, I did two 20 minute sessions before noticing a small oil leak and calling it a day. I have the bike in for a major service Thursday so the timing isn't too bad, looks like it could be a gasket on one of the covers on the side of the motor so fingers crossed that's all it is.

There was about 15-20 guys there for the ride day, three of them put their bikes down, the first guy didn't even get a lap in going down at T5 of the outlap :rolleyes: Most of them were fairly young so I think there was a bit to much excitement and bravado. I didn't see the bike but the other two guys only had minor damage and the bikes were ok.

I had a little moment myself at the same corner although I was taking it pretty easy throughout. I was much more comfortable through the left hand turns for some reason, maybe from riding on the streets and T5 is one of the only right handers. I had a bit too much speed and didn't trust that I could get through the corner so just stayed on the front brakes, keeping upright and straight, I saw myself going straight on off into the grass but scrubbed off enough speed and got through the turn with probably a metre or so to the edge of the track. I think the sim racing instincts saved me there.

The wet will only kick in more and more now so it'll be just weekend rides for now until the ride days start up again next March.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.