Occasional Visitor

New system thoughts?

Post by smithcorp »

r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Re: New system thoughts?

Post by r8response »

Looks okay. Keep an eye on systems built with the new 5000x series that was just released. Better price point and the performance is great.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Now isn't really the best time to be buying unless you really need something right now.

As r8 says the new Ryzen chips are the clear leaders now although stock will be a bit limited for a while as they just launched. The new Nvidia GPUs are also going to be hard to get for some time and the AMD GPUs are right around the corner and look like they will give Nvidia a run for their money, supposedly their availability will be better but everyone is quite trigger happy to buy atm.

A Ryzen 5000 chip is unlikely to require water cooling as they use less power and run cooler than Intel chips, I personally would always want to stick with air cooling but those high core count Intel chips will run hot.

That system doesn't even mention the name of the pc case as far as I can see, it looks flashy but personally I would want to research and find something I know is good, a good case will last many upgrades.

1TB SSD, probably more than needed in my opinion, you might need it but probably an area to save some money.
A mobo with bluetooth and wifi, would be a pass for me and another area to save some money.
RGB lighting, same deal again, my case is built to be quiet and doesn't have any windows.

I mean at the end of the day it will be a kick ass system but it's not even available atm and it doesn't even list the specs for all the parts.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The more time passes, the more certain that my new system early next year will be full red.

Intel Gen 11 still on 14nm and due Q1 next year wont be a big enough jump unless they do something spectacular.

Edit : I just saw that they are claiming double digit IPC percentage increase. So maybe they will be competitive. Max of 8 core 16 threads though.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Cheers all - my PC is old and needs replacement (starting to play up) - but there's always a better system just around the corner. What to do?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Are you ok with building something yourself? Were you specifically looking for a high core count CPU?

The Ryzen 5 5600X is shaping up as the preferred gaming chip over the higher core count chips, it only really loses out in heavily multi-threaded games. It's availability seems to be a bit better, PC Case Gear have stock due tomorrow, Mwave are showing stock, Scorptec have 5600X and 5800X stock.

In fact Scorptec have some decent looking bundles, this one for the 5600X has the mobo that I was looking at if I upgrade
https://www.scorptec.com.au/bundle/CPU/ ... M2B3200C16

They also have a 5800X bundle but I haven't really sussed out the components.

Anyway I guess what I'm getting at is you could put together a Ryzen system now and keep your current GPU (assuming that's not the cause of your issues) and then just grab a new GPU once stock starts rolling in for those.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Sarsippius wrote:Are you ok with building something yourself? Were you specifically looking for a high core count CPU?
Don't have the skills - just want something that can run DCS and MS Flight Sim and not have to worry about buying incompatible bits.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

It's really simple, if you can use a screwdriver and plug cables into sockets you can do it no sweat, it's pretty foolproof these days and we could give you a parts list.
If you really don't want to go there PCCG will build a custom system for $199, again we could suggest a list of parts or take one of their customisable systems as a starting point and substitute one of the new chips and suitable motherboard. Something like this already has the right motherboard https://www.pccasegear.com/bundle/55/pc ... ing-system
richo

Post by richo »

The only even slightly tricky part is mounting the cpu or possibly the front panel connectors .

All the parts are keyed one way so unless you use extreme violence you can't get into a lot of trouble .
[]D [] []v[] []D
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Is this suitable smithcorp? Price seems good?

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop 10th Gen i7-10700k 16GB RAM 1TB SSD NVIDIA RTX 3070 $1999.20 (was $3999) Delivered @ Dell eBay
Colour: Black
Form Factor: Tower
Processor: 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700K processor
Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64 bit) English
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070
Memory: 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2933Mhz
Hard Drive: 1TB SSD + 2TB HDD
Power Supply: 500w
Warranty: 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Wireless: Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1
Accessories: Dell Wired Keyboard KB216 Black (English) + Wired Mouse MS116

Need to add code (PPIBS20) in cart to get for $1999

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/584484
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:Is this suitable smithcorp? Price seems good?

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop 10th Gen i7-10700k 16GB RAM 1TB SSD NVIDIA RTX 3070 $1999.20 (was $3999) Delivered @ Dell eBay
Colour: Black
Form Factor: Tower
Processor: 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10700K processor
Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64 bit) English
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070
Memory: 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2933Mhz
Hard Drive: 1TB SSD + 2TB HDD
Power Supply: 500w
Warranty: 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Wireless: Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless and Bluetooth 5.1
Accessories: Dell Wired Keyboard KB216 Black (English) + Wired Mouse MS116

Need to add code (PPIBS20) in cart to get for $1999

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/584484
Needs 32G for FS2020. Not bad if you can fit 2 more RAM sticks and get the same RAM.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Upgrading is usually an issue with Dell from what I've seen of them. From googling that model, it might have cooling issues as well.

Personally I'd go for a pc store build so that it's standard components. PSU/mobo in particular. That's quite a deal though.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I agree with Darren. it is a good price, but, Dell.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

My Dell XPS has been great. It looks like all standard parts. I have added HDD's and its got cables and bays for 3-4 more.

I would buy again.
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

A local guy got one, and it is a nightmare. A weird slim line case that is painful to work on.

if they have standard parts it could be an ok deal.

i cant tell if the MB has 2 more RAM slots or not. But for that price you could nearly cannabalise it if the mb was shit. :)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah the slimline cases are rubbish.. these XPS have full standard ATX cases
eek