Supercars 2021

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

pixelboy

Re: Supercars 2021

Post by pixelboy »

Hope you guys like Eastern Creek!
The Repco Supercars Championship will return with four events in as many weekends at Sydney Motorsport from next month, it has been confirmed.

The announcement means that the remainder of the 2021 season has now been locked in, with those events plus the finale in the form of the Repco Bathurst 1000 rounding out a 12-event campaign.

After what will then be more than three months off due to COVID-19 restrictions, ‘Eastern Creek’ will play host to Supercars on October 29-31, November 6-7, November 13-14, and November 19-21.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/09/25/su ... ts-at-smp/
eek
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

So they take time off during lockdown to run 4 events on the edge of the city that is the hardest hit? At least the AFL had the common sense to go to the other side of the country.
Last edited by w00dsy on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I guess they expect the only place they can really go is NSW, and I assume Bathurst and Motorsport park are the only two tracks that could run v8's. Assuming Wakefield cant?

With a bunch of Victorian and 1 Sydney teams, and the fact Victoria still has a border system in place, QLD decently has one in place and assuming SA is the same blocking access to the bend, you are kinda fucked, this is the only way they could actually have racing.. what a shitshow
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Yeah, NSW was the only state to let them in. Lockdown will be winding down by then and they are desperate to run Bathurst so NSW was the only choice.

Would have been better to run 2 at Eastern Creek, then Bathurst, then 2 more at Eastern Creek.

Yes a shitshow. Primarily to satisfy contractual obligations.
eek
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

If they can't go interstate, a series of street circuits in regional towns would be interesting. Probably too expensive though.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Surprise!!

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/10/13/su ... 3-to-2023/

What a fucking shitshow this has turned into..
Supercars is done, they are going to do another year of the processional racing series next year as they delay again.. if they go live with Gen3, you are going to have a Camaro which is looking like is about to be retired by GM and 8 year old mustang thats due for a refresh.

Once again letting the teams control soo much of this is really fucked supercars, I think they are at a massive crossroads here... I think its simular to what happened at IMSA/DTM/LeMan's over the past few years. Manafactures dont want to invest in bespoke race cars and having the teams leading it is just what got us into this mess.

Make a decision, you either go down the path of making the cars super simple (think TA2) or you just do what GTM/IMSA and now LeMan are doing and just scrape your "unique" series and go with GT3.

The TA2 approach means you have a huge amount of supercars controlled parts, yes make it bespoke to Australian racing, but do a simple design and dont complicated it.

Or you just bite bullet and go GT3. Yes, the GT3 racing isn't the same as supercars today, but you would in an instant have a bunch of major manufacturers coming in, either supported through factory teams or through privateers. And with IMSA and LeMans deciding that they will be GT3 its likely to see a burst in manufacturers entering in.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yet on the same day they announce this: Gen3 Supercars’ public reveal date announced

I'd much prefer a TA2 type series to any international GT3/4 type series... FFS!!!
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I'd prefer GT3... as Nutty says, you'd immediately get at least 5 or 6 different manufactures on the grid and we could get back to the old days when overseas teams come over to race certain events. Half the teams on the grid already have GT3 cars anyway.

Bespoke series are just not viable anymore. Look at DTM..
eek
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

DTM is been a bore this year & a shadow of the once mighty series it was.
Because they can no longer differentiate themselves from the plethora of other worldwide GT3 based series.

Same would happen here imho given most Aussie race fans crave for the series we have had, Bogan Pride FTW!!!
I am really looking forward to Gen3 being unique & hope it still happens even if not till 2023.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah look I dont think GT3 is the greatest racing in the world.. but are we better off having a full series with cool cars racing, or a series with 2-3 super teams who sell the parts to rich kids dads who fund their careers? Cause thats where supercars is either at right now or going...
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Duke wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:04 pm DTM is been a bore this year & a shadow of the once mighty series it was.
Because they can no longer differentiate themselves from the plethora of other worldwide GT3 based series.
I'm sorry, what series have you been watching? There has been amazing action throughout the year, and more overtakes in one race than the taxi's see all year. They have differed by offering a proper sprint series without any amateur's involved, and also having a faster spec than other GT3's.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

No surprise it was Reynolds, he's a bit of a weird unit and is known to be anti vax. https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/11/03/kg ... situation/
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

wow, this will be fun
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-04/ ... /100593636

His exemption was rejected. He'll miss the next 3 rounds but has now had his first shot and should have his second before Bathurst. Surprised the team hadn't sorted that shit out a while back.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Youlden is taking over.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

This post was fun while it lasted, looks like Scotty pulled it after 10 mins. :rofl:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Some Ford wanker had a dip at me on FB
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Those are all certainly words.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

What a way to find out.
8qrj8ycb5cb81.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

2022 is going to be a long year for supercars...

https://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/ ... d/7584415/
Starting with some more SMP snoozefests