Australia is so far behind. (Electric cars)

all the ARSE dribble
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: Australia is so far behind. (Electric cars)

Post by nutty »

norbs wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 pm I was basing my comments on the fact Smith said he was after a fast charger. If you dont think he does, then 3 phase goes out the window.

Something else for NSW people to think about, if you have single phase, and a large solar system, you can only export 5kW. If you have 3 phase, up to 15kW.
Yeah for sure, like if you see value in 3 phases for things outside your EV (such as solar, or needing a welder ect..) then yeah its sweet.
But most people "think" they need a ultra fast charger, but realistically they never do, and I guess my story was just to be cautious about overcapitalising, which is the exact same story for solar
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks nutty - we are not big car users, only about 5k per annum, so we can probably get away with charging from the home plug and getting top-ups from fast chargers if we need back to back trips of decent length.

We can always charge at norbs' house!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:32 am Thanks nutty - we are not big car users, only about 5k per annum, so we can probably get away with charging from the home plug and getting top-ups from fast chargers if we need back to back trips of decent length.

We can always charge at norbs' house!
Im getting a sign made up, "Fast charge and fuck off!" :D :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

This is pretty nifty smithcorp..
Hyundai has built an adaptor that you simply plug into the charging port, and away you go with a plug that looks, and works, like any in your house. It has capacity of 4.6kW, so it’s not just a kettle you can boil, but any number of appliances and tools that you might want to use remotely.

And, if the power does go out in your home, then you can simply plug in an extension cord and, in theory, you have probably got enough in a fully charged car battery to power the house for a few days, and possibly up to a week.

https://thedriven.io/2021/12/11/ioniq-5 ... ll-in-one/
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

That's a rather disingenuous stat though.
EV sales are picking up, there's no doubt about that, but new car sales are at a total stand still due to the worldwide chip shortages so production is very low right now. All you need is one truck load of i-Pace's and suddenly EV sales are up! Almost all new car deliveries are 6-12 months from the order date at the moment.

We also had a fuel crisis for about 2-3 weeks which made people suddenly dash out and order electrics while everyone else queued for hours to get little bits of fuel to keep them going.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks to norbs for this tweet

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Hyundai's notified me my car is ready. Just got to arrange a small loan and should be able to pick it up very soon!

Anyone want a low-km Tiguan Allspace?
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

smithcorp wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:09 pm Hyundai's notified me my car is ready. Just got to arrange a small loan and should be able to pick it up very soon!
Wow, that was quick - get yourself a YouTube channel going and do some reviews :D :D

Got sick of waiting for the Model Y to come out so we've ordered a Model 3 SR+
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Exciting! Payment should all be sorted tomorrow, so fingers crossed for a pickup this week!

I have ordered a type 2 cable and some Rubbertree mats and windscreen shade; and am considering a Zappi single-phase 7kwh charger (though we may be able to get away with a trickle charger via an extension cord out the window for a while).

Zappi appeals because it can prioritise charge from the solar panels which would be very handy, given FIT seems to be plunging.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Reckon I might need to invest in a type 2 charger - living in an absolute desert of chargers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
richo

Post by richo »

None in Miranda either , oh well ICE4LYFE :)
[]D [] []v[] []D
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Stupid question, but why would you need a fast charger near home? Do you see yourself needing those big 400km days back to back?
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

No, but I'm worried about the trickle charger putting pressure on a 10A powerpoint (wiring in the house is pretty old). I'd probably have to have a sparky install an outdoor powerpoint at the side of the house anyway; plus the Zappi is optimised to draw from my solar output.

Happy to not spend the $3k for the Zappi, so if my reasoning is faulty, I'm happy to be given a more informed view (new to the home EV lark - I spent a while last night looking at plugshare for where I could charge fast if I needed to and the options within 15km of me are crap).
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

You're close to Kirrawee aren't you smithcorp?

Can you use this?

https://thedriven.io/2022/02/03/worth-t ... ns-in-nsw/
eek
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Sadly not. They didn't show up on Plugshare for me (with an Ioniq 5 as my selected car) so I asked in the comments for that article. Reply I got back was:
No they can't, at present in Australia, non-Tesla EVs cannot charge at Tesla superchargers, only Tesla vehicles can.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah Tesla dont let other cars use their chargers atm. They are trialing it in The Netherlands.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Same plug type, but the comms cable does a handshake with the car to check its a Tesla. Should be straightforward to allow other vehicles to use them, via software, in future.

I'm picking up my Ioniq 5 tomorrow!
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I got it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Needs a run down to Sunshine Bay Smiss :)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Will it go that far? :lol:
eek
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Still got 400+km range on the dial!
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Nice, were you surprised by the size or had you already seen it in person?

I walked past one the other day and although I had seen the dimentions, in real life it was bigger than I expected.
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Hiya Brett - yes we test drove one early January so get to see it in the flesh. I wasn't surprised by its size (similar size to our Tiguan) but its isn't a small hatchback for sure. Plenty roomy inside especially in the back seats.

We went for a family drive last night to grab some fish & chips and eat it down by the river. Afterwards all five of us were driving home, with Bib playing Bob's playlist of pop songs through the bluetooth and all the kids loudly singing along, and the kids wanted to just keep driving. So we drive around for another half hour just enjoying the car and its sound system. Its such a comfortable, quiet car (double laminated noise limiting glass).

Another interesting thing I noticed - the car has a fixed glass roof with a shade that divides. I noticed the car didn't get as hot with it open as my previous Peugeot that had the same sort of glass roof did. Turns out the Ioniq 5 glass is 'solar control glass' for windscreen and side windows (and maybe the glass roof too). Nice.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Sounds like a winner smith.

It's like the switch to EV has allowed the industry to revisit all aspects of the cars. Bit disappointing that those innovations (double laminated, solar control glass) didn't make it to the ICE generation.. but progress is progress I guess.
eek