2021 Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: 2021 Formula 1 Pirelli British Grand Prix

Post by norbs »

How many times has he hit a red bull from behind now? Twice on Albon and this one. Any more?

It also shows that now he isnt in a dominant car, he is fallible. It is easy to win when you only have to drive the car at 95%.

Great to see the 2 McLarens up there. Imagine if they could get their act together and have a 4 way tussle at the front.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:44 am How many times has he hit a red bull from behind now? Twice on Albon and this one. Any more?
Albon hit the nail on the head.

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Between the tyre at Baku and Lewis taking him out Max has lost a potential 50 points while leading.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Holy shit!!!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

fuck thats crazy from that angle
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I was at the race. The crowd was absolutely buzzing and I've no doubt that contributed to Hamilton being so fired up. I thought he should get a penalty (norbs, I have a WhatsApp to prove it ;)). If it was any other race I don't think he'd have made such a rash and risky move.

We were at Becketts so didn't see anything. It was a bit annoying they touched as it looks like they'd have come side-by -side past us otherwise. I was a bit narked not to see Max and Lewis going toe-to-toe through the race.

The last few laps were intense and the crowd was getting increasingly mental as he reeled Charles in.

Interestingly, before the race started as they were on their way to the grid, I would say Russell clearly got the loudest cheers followed by Lando and then Lewis. Those boys have some proper fans already.
Last edited by durbster on Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Also, I've not seen the race back yet but how the hell did Charles end up almost winning that race? :D
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

The Ferrari's seemed better on Mediums but worse on hards. Or Merc were too conservative early on. Norris might have got 3rd if not for the slow pit.

Wonder if they have some contractual agreement or rule to force all teams to do the sprint qual. If I were haas or one of the other low budget teams at the back I'd just park it after the first lap or 2 instead of risking a crash for nothing. One ridiculous thing with this format is that effectively the top 10 on the grid had to qualify 4 times for 1 race.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Two other observations from that video of the crash

- the guy on the left with the green flowery shirt. The way he looks at his phone and shows someone else I think he needs a new screen after being pepper sprayed with gravel :)
- guy in the white hat directly in front of the camera has still got the label and hook on his newly bought over priced Loooois hat. You plum.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

That was pathetic.

F1 needs to give out penalties that are actually a punishment. It was almost repeatedly at the end but Leclure got out of the way.

For a driver to punt a competitor off like that and profit so highly points wise is wrong.
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:That was pathetic.

F1 needs to give out penalties that are actually a punishment. It was almost repeatedly at the end but Leclure got out of the way.

For a driver to punt a competitor off like that and profit so highly points wise is wrong.
Yep.

Has dickhead said, anything else about it today?

I see there was a press release from merc about him copping racist abuse. That is fucked.

Abuse him for being a fucking idiot, not because of the colour of his skin.

I thought the celebration was a bit over the top. I suppose it would be tough with the crowd behind you.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Check out how much the helicopter affected Strolls car.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Interestingly, the drivers that have spoken have come out in support of Lewis. I still think he deserved the penalty because he was the one who caused the accident but he didn't do anything outrageous. His car washed wide of the apex when they were side by side coming into the corner. It's always going to look worse for the car on the inside as they try to back out of the collision they can see coming (hence front to rear wheel contact) and you can't judge the incident on the consequences (championship-wise). Shit for Max but that's racing. Red Bull can at least be happy that they've got Lewis under so much pressure now that he has to go for those 50/50 moves and not sit back and wait for the race to come to him. He doesn't have the fastest car and he's having to deal with that.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
thornz

Post by thornz »

I'm nowhere near up to date with current rules/regs and so on, but Is there a possible flow on effect here (grid penaltys etc) if they have to change Max's engine/gearbox? Imagine everything is going to be pretty buggered after that one.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah good question, did some digging.. looks like this covers it

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... -/6633615/
Red Bull fears that the RB16B chassis is a write-off, and there are concerns that the Honda power unit could also have suffered unrepairable damage. If that is the case, then it could force Verstappen to take the third and final engine of his 2021 allocation at the next race in Hungary.

It would then likely put him on a duty cycle that would require a fourth engine – and therefore a grid penalty – towards the end of the campaign.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but apparently blessed had a front wheel problem as well. The red flag saved his race. Again! :shake:

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Karun is probably right (the video wont play for me), but Lewis hit Max's rear right with his front left. That shows that he didn't have ANY claim to that corner.

Hamilton should have received, at a minimum, a stop-go (where you cant change tyres). That would have put him down in ~15/16th.

Privately, Mercedes are having a big laugh.

And of course, the racial stuff is abhorrent and shouldn't be tolerated. Its just simple abuse from simple people.
eek
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

w00dsy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:27 am Check out how much the helicopter affected Strolls car.
Similar thing happened in the Enduro World Series recently. Not sure if anyone crashed but Jack Moir almost got caught up in tape it was blowing around (0:55).

norbs

Post by norbs »

Interesting take. A Brit saying it was blessed's fault.

norbs

Post by norbs »

Is this a thing?
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Karun's analysis was spot on. It seems to be inevitable now that people demand a binary conclusion to everything but the more I've watched it the more I think both drivers were at fault, with Lewis being slightly more to blame given he was the overtaking car.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I agree. Racing incident with the slight tilt towards Hamilton being at fault.

A lot of people are using the picture of the impact point to show Hamilton was not alongside but they conveniently forget that he'd lifted at that point, realising he wasn't going to make the corner that that speed and angle and because of that, Max had 'gained' almost a car length. I think if Hamilton had lifted 1-2m earlier, they would never have touched.

Max looked right and saw Lewis, straightened briefly and then turned again to give himself a wider corner thinking Hamilton would have to lift. He did, but it was just too late.

My bigger gripe is that the penalty did absolutely nothing because he still won the race. That doesn't really seem fair.
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

What a great noise

My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Only finished watching the race last night... Oh the drama & the tension!!!

After Spain I said to my son that the Max & Lewis battle would come to a head as soon as Hamilton got to the inside of Max at any point & it would be hugely controversial. It was clear to me given how long we have all been around watching F1 this was bubbling up to a huge crescendo.

Was it desperate from Hammy? Yeah I certainly think it was but for me it was not too deliberately take out Max.
Was it to prove a point? Most definitely was for mine. Lewis was sick of getting run out of room but always conceded knowing he was on the outside of the corner & to ensure he could fight the long battle.
Did Hammy try to void it? Yes he did that is why he missed the apex & hit Max's rear wheel. (hint: try that line in the sim & lift off to see what happens)
Was Max too aggressive? Yes he was but that is Max.
What gets me is no-one is talking about how Max squeezed Lewis so tight before the corner which in my opinion meant contact was always going to be inevitable as they were side by side prior to & up to the turn-in point & neither yielded. Max's best option was to give more space, I'm not saying he had to just that he chose not too making the contact inevitable.
I honestly feel Max knew he got outfoxed to the inside so left no margin for error, win it or bin it mentality.

So for me it was a racing incident, always has & always will be.
So Loowis haters get to hate more... RBR & MV haters get to hate more...
But this is fantastic & much needed as we really haven't had this type of rivalry in decades.

As for the penalty, I have no view on it other than the FIA need to rethink how penalties are applied to make them effective.
- Any penalty should be served within 3 laps & not under a SC or Red Flag (not sure why that rule changed in the first place)
- If a car has any repairs undertaken under a Red Flag condition then you go to the end of the line on restart.
Both should resolve the issue we had this race where the penalty was practically null & void.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."