2021 Formula 1 Heineken Grande Prêmio De São Paulo

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: 2021 Formula 1 Heineken Grande Prêmio De São Paulo

Post by norbs »

Im surprised, given the awe people have for LHs performance, that Kimi didnt get some love.

I'd think overtaking in the Alfa was harder than the Merc.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

norbs wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:39 am

Brazil is on a war footing. :)
Top reply too!

Exar Kun wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:22 am I wish Merc would move on but the FIA do need to draw a line. Max 100% drove him off the road. It was worse than those Austrian moves. Either let them race this way or don't. Max does tend to give less room than most but Lewis was totally guilty of the same thing against Rosberg and got away with numerous times.
Thats my view here, F1/FIA need to clarify their stance, I think letting them race hard is the best answer here, but whatever they do they need to do is just clarify the rule.. can you run someone off the road and is that a penalty? or is it only a penalty if it negatively impacts them (crashing/losing other places)
pab

Post by pab »

Big Kev wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:06 am Hamilton did it to Rosberg pretty much every race.
The 2014 season was pretty well the last time I watched an F1 race with any real interest. The fact that in Bahrain 2014, Hamilton took the inside at the end of the straight lap after lap (with Rosberg beside him on the outside) but then used up all the track on exit leaving Rosberg no option but to back out to avoid a coming together just didn't seem like racing to me, just blocking. Vettel used to do it quite a bit too back then (I remember him doing it at the hairpin at Hockenheim).

Then when the team blamed Rosberg for them coming together at Spa 2014 (when Rosberg gave Hamilton room on the first part of the chicane, but Hamilton didn't give any room on the second part) that was it for me. Looks like nothing's changed over the last 7 or so years, except sounds like it happens even more often now.

My idea of racing is that if two cars enter a corner side by side then both have to make compromises, one (the outside car) on the apex, and the other, on the exit, to leave a car width in both cases. Otherwise, racing just becomes which driver can bully the other into backing out to prevent accidents.

This would never happen now would it?

I don't completely blame the drivers, I think the cars and the rules as they are these days promote this sort of driving (by setting up the tyre rules where cars have advantages and disadvantages during the run to promote passing, a driver with a car that is slower at that point of the race has no other tool at his disposal other than to block), but whatever the cause, it took away all enjoyment of F1 for me.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

pab wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:04 am
Big Kev wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:06 am Hamilton did it to Rosberg pretty much every race.
My idea of racing is that if two cars enter a corner side by side then both have to make compromises, one (the outside car) on the apex, and the other, on the exit, to leave a car width in both cases. Otherwise, racing just becomes which driver can bully the other into backing out to prevent accidents.

I don't completely blame the drivers, I think the cars and the rules as they are these days promote this sort of driving (by setting up the tyre rules where cars have advantages and disadvantages during the run to promote passing, a driver with a car that is slower at that point of the race has no other tool at his disposal other than to block), but whatever the cause, it took away all enjoyment of F1 for me.
I really think you hit the nail on the head here, currently the whole inside driver pushing outside driver off the track is the default now.. even if remove the inconstancy of the rulings and say that its allowed like Max did, then your just getting crap racing..
It makes sense for someone to run a person off, hoping they crash/lose time.

They just need to enforce a car width room, if you dont leave it, then you cop a 5 second penalty.. if you dont leave it and it leads to a crash, then its a forced stop go
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

We see plenty of Arnoux-Villeneuve style battles these days:

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Maybe it needs someone to just hold their line on the outside. Don't go off the track, just say I'm here, you must leave me space to be in because I can't vanish. If we crash, we crash. It would be the fault of the person on the inside (for me) because they have driven out in to the other car (who has no where else to go in track limits).
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Max did that at Silverstone.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:15 am Max did that at Silverstone.
And the Cult of Hamilton lost their collective minds. Max did here what Lewis did at Silverstone. He just didnt ruin Lewis' car in the process.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pab

Post by pab »

Yeah, the problem is that if the outside car compromises on the apex for the inside car then they drop back a bit in the middle of the corner so when contact is made on the exit they hit the rear of the inside car with their front and everyone blames them because they didn't have enough overlap (while if the inside car compromised their exit as they should then they would have had that overlap).

This is exactly what happened in the chicane at Spa in 2014.
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61