2021 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Who is going to win the title?

Mad Max
45%
#Blessed
55%

Total votes: 11

norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: 2021 FORMULA 1 ETIHAD AIRWAYS ABU DHABI GRAND PRIX

Post by norbs »

Exar Kun wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:58 am I still believe Max deserved the championship but in no way did he deserve that race. RB were just throwing tyres on it every chance they got.
Pretty much exactly what I said to a mate this morning. He was the better driver this year, but boy, what a way to win it.

Do you think he cares? Maybe if the appeal is successful. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I hope the appeal isn't successful but I also hope that they sit down in the off season and clarify some rules. The inconsistency this year has been shocking.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Nice little summary of things here:

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Congrats to Max, he was the only one who could take it to Loowis & he did it.

But no surprise it ended like this, for me this whole year has been influenced way too much by the officialdom.
The inconsistency & the constant changing in they way certain rules have been interpreted has left me bewildered at the sport.
It's the reason both drivers & teams would get so infuriated when things didn't go their way as they had no clarity or basis to work from.
For me Michael Massi has a lot to answer for & is not fit for the job, I keep thinking of Charlie & how he would have handled this...
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs

Post by norbs »

Massi needs some help. He is trying to clear a car off the track and he has the team bosses bitching in his ear. Just ridiculous.

That said, Toto the Tantrum thrower getting on and just saying "Michaeelllll" was music to my ears.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Minister for Religious Genocide.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah I think everyone who is into F1 has seen the massive inconstancy causing all the problems

I do wonder how much is just our perception, I remember when we first heard the Teams>FIA radio, they asked the team bosses and they said this has been happening for years, but only now being broadcasted.. I doubt things would be different under Michael vs Charlie.

But I think this is easily fixed too, they need to clear up a bunch of these rules. Make it black and white around forcing someone off/giving places back, I know due to fuel limitations Green/White/Checker doesn't really work with F1, but they can easily re-write the rules here.

Then finally get constant stewarts, hire 3 people full-time as stewarts, have the race director refer everything to them and put the constancy on that group
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Max looking happy but cautious while waiting with Christian for the results of the protests.

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

TOTO, Sit Down we are motor racing. :lol:

The crowd cheering in the background makes this even more enjoyable to watch.

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Fernando Alonso's reaction to being told that lapped cars can't overtake

nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I went to bed last night and missed all the after show stuff, but jesus I was mowing the lawns and doing some gardening this afternoon and tried out a few podcasts.. both the race and missed apex are upset cause the rules should have been followed.. the main dude from Missed Apex thinks we need to remember its sport not entertainment and we shouldn't have restarted.

Are peoples brains fried? Like F1 has ALWAYS been about entertainment, always from the Berie days.. like how shit would it have been if we just let them finish under a safety car
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Of course its entertainment....

They should have red flagged the race with 4 laps to go.. grid them up, give em new boots and then go for it.. Hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

I agree about the comms though.. How can you make rational decisions with Toto in one ear and Horner in the other?
eek
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Eddie Jordan was on TV here this morning saying that Charlie would have told them to go away, he's dealing with it. I think that's what Masi needs. He needs a bit of help to filter the messages coming to him so that he can concentrate on making the right decisions. Charlie had Herbie Blash to do that.

Masi just wanted a green flag finish, which I think was right, but maybe he didn't go about it the right way. He ended up with a bit of a half way house. I reckon Max would have still won if the cars hadn't unlapped because they would have all jumped out of the way and given him 5 tows! But there will always be someone who thinks that isn't fair based on their current race strategy and position. Merc had ample chance to pit for tyres and chose not to.

Also it's worth remembering that it's 22 races, not just this one. If the last 2 races had been the other way round there probably wouldn't have been as much debate about the result.

They also need some clear and consistent rulings about track limits and this growing trend of shoving people off the track (I don't mean Max did that to Lewis here). That has caused problems all year.

You can bet your life the regulations will get some addendums over the winter :)
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Well summed up Kev
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

I think either driver deserved the championship so I don't mind the result but the manner of it doesn't sit right with me. The bit that bugs me most is only allowing specific cars to pass the SC. There's no rational reason for that other than doing it for "the show".

Twitter F1 fans are unbearable these days but I did see a lot of people who I didn't even know were into F1 quite confused by what happened, and were very dubious about the credibility of it.

Masi gets a hard time for it but it's an impossible job and he worked closely with Charlie Whiting so he knows the game well enough. I do agree that we probably have a very distorted view on how things might have been under Whiting because we never heard those conversations.

In other news, apparently (according to Ted Kravitz) a rumour going round the paddock was that the reason for Perez's mysterious early retirement was that they didn't put enough fuel in his car to finish the race just so he could keep close enough to get involved.
richo

Post by richo »

Masi does not make these decisions alone in what must be a shitty job of trying to please everyone and no one.

Toto really looked a bitch last night which is odd as it's normally Horner's role.
[]D [] []v[] []D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

richo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:31 pm Toto really looked a bitch last night which is odd as it's normally Horner's role.
Toto has done a lot of that this year.
2021 we saw the real Toto Wolff, under pressure from external forces and not handling it well.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Toto is short for Total Tool. If I were Bono I'd tell LH to shut the fuck up and drive.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I just learnt that Mercedes brought their own legal council to Abu Dhabi in preparation for a on track crash.

Speaks volumes really.

nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yeah I saw that, and he's the same guy that got Man City off their fines..
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

10 mins with Mark Sutton.

Having experienced a V8SC scrum I could imagine how hectic it was for him working to obtain the images he shares in this video.

norbs

Post by norbs »

LOL. Butt hurt pommy press.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

That was a hell of a GP2 engine this year.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Honda crack me up, they bailed on F1 right before Brawn came out and took the championship the next year. Then that group of people went on to dominate for 8 years.

Then this time around the come back to a shitfire of a relationship with McLaren, they move to RBR and then announce they are leaving then finally win a championship again...