2022 FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
Lap data
Lap length 4.675km (2.905 miles)
Race laps 66
Race distance 308.55km (191.724 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Maximum speed 322kph (200.081 mph)
Distance from grid to turn one 579m
Strategy
Pit lane time loss 19.6s

UK Times
Friday 20th May 2022
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 14:00-15:00 (UK time: 13:00-14:00)
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 17:00-18:00 (UK time: 16:00-17:00)
Saturday 21st May 2022
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 13:00-14:00 (UK time: 12:00-13:00)
Spanish Grand Prix Qualifying: 16:00 (UK time: 15:00)
Sunday 22nd May 2022
Spanish Grand Prix: 15:00 (UK time: 14:00)

Previous Winners
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren-Mercedes
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2007 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
2008 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2009 United Kingdom Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes
2010 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2012 Venezuela Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault
2013 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2016 Netherlands Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer
2017 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2019 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2020 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2021 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes

Videos

Alonso 2013

Schumacher 1991

Standings

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Re: 2022 FORMULA 1 PIRELLI GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA

Post by durbster »

The big question: can the 2022 rules make this race interesting?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Doubt it but I am hoping so...
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

At least we know that we'll probably have a different winner to the past 5 years!
eek
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Wasn't a bad race for one. Fair few things going on.

Hamilton was a little hypocritical at the end saying that was one of his best results. Odd cos I seem to remember around lap 4 you were telling your team you should retire and save the engine cos you were a minute behind. You're being paid to drive, get on with it and oh look you got 5th. And he was voted driver of the day for it! I voted for Russell!

Great drive from Russell again too. Schumacher out of the points again having started 10th.

Real pity for Perez that only 6 races in they're already asking him to move over. I thought that was very unfair, but I can understand the desire to maximise points while Leclerc was a DNF.
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Lando raced with tonsillitis and still finished ahead of DannyRic. Sad but I don't think it's working for Ric there.
My Flickr Stream
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Not a bad race for sure, compared to the usual spanish snoozer at least.. DRS was a bit over the top, but better than not working at all like in previous years.

As for Danny, yeah its really tough.. Im not sure if its just a case of the car being somewhat average and Lando is just a all time talent (along the lines of Max) or if its just a case of him not being able to gel with McLaren.

Either way, does make you wonder what will happen at the end of 2023.. he will be 34, I think the shine of him being a top tier talent has warn off. So its either a Bottas style move to Alfa/Williams/Hass, or maybe its the end for him?
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Ironically, I don't think Vettel ever fully recovered from being beaten up by RIC. I know he got a few wins at Ferrari but I reckon that was the turning point for him in terms of self-confidence.

Race was OK. I was curious whether Hamilton was massively quicker than Russell as that's what some of the chatter afterwards suggested. I don't think there was much between them when they were in comparable phases, as far as I can tell. Obviously Ham was quicker while GR was busy fighting Max off but when things settled down they looked about the same.

I thought that was a smart decision by GR to give Max a rough time (good fun to watch too). I suspect GR knows there's a good chance he'll be fighting Max quite a bit in the future and I think wanted to make it clear that he's not going to be pushed around.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

That was pretty funny hearing LH say he wanted to park it.

All his social media says is how hard he was going to fight for all the people struggling. Then he drives into KM and spits the dummy.

DR is starting feel like de ja vu with Webber. Talented, but not quite in that top tier.

Interesting to see Ferrari and merc having car issues. It feels like they are running the cars this year right on the ragged edge.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They were bitching like hell on the radio. I found it funny that for a while, Max's DRS was only working on odd numbered laps.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I feel bad for Checo. So Horner says they were on vastly different tyre strategies - still doesn't explain why Checo had to let Max pass but Max didn't have to let Checo past. And all after Max made the mistake to put him behind in the first place.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
norbs

Post by norbs »

Checo is the new Bottas.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Irvine, Massa... there have been many in this role..
eek
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Sucks to be Checo but let's be honest, Max is the dependable one that gets the points and wins week in week out so they need him up there getting as many points as he can. These other guys are number 2 for a reason, because they can be relied on to get the job done all the time. The team's will happily change the priority to the other driver if he's the one that does the job all the time. It happened with Leclerc when he started being faster than Vettel, and it may even end up happening at Mercedes.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:59 pm Sucks to be Checo but let's be honest, Max is the dependable one that gets the points and wins week in week out so they need him up there getting as many points as he can. These other guys are number 2 for a reason, because they can be relied on to get the job done all the time. The team's will happily change the priority to the other driver if he's the one that does the job all the time. It happened with Leclerc when he started being faster than Vettel, and it may even end up happening at Mercedes.
No, no, not the GOAT!
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

w00dsy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:59 pm Sucks to be Checo but let's be honest, Max is the dependable one that gets the points and wins week in week out so they need him up there getting as many points as he can. These other guys are number 2 for a reason, because they can be relied on to get the job done all the time. The team's will happily change the priority to the other driver if he's the one that does the job all the time. It happened with Leclerc when he started being faster than Vettel, and it may even end up happening at Mercedes.
Agreed, while teams do care about the team championship, we all know WDC is the main driver for everyone. Yes its only race 6, but RBR know that Max is going to be their best shot of winning the championship.

Im not sure they would have moved him over to hand him the win if they where 1-2, but in this case it makes sense