2022 FORMULA 1 HONDA JAPANESE GRAND PRIX

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Suzuka International Racing Course
Lap data
Lap length 5.807km (3.608 miles)
Race laps 53
Race distance 307.471km (191.054 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’31.540 (Kimi Raikkonen, 2005)
Fastest lap 1’27.319 (Lewis Hamilton, 2017, qualifying three)
Maximum speed 328kph (203.81 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight
Distance from grid to turn one 405m
Full throttle 66%
Longest flat-out section 994m
Downforce level High
Gear changes per lap 48
Fuel use per lap 1.89kg
Time penalty per lap of fuel 0.074s
Pit lane time loss 17.65s

UK Times
Friday 7th October 2022
Japanese Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 13:00-14:00 (UK time: 5:00-6:00)
Japanese Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 16:00-17:00 (UK time: 8:00-9:00)
Saturday 8th October 2022
Japanese Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 13:00-14:00 (UK time: 5:00-6:00)
Japanese Grand Prix Qualifying: 16:00 (UK time: 8:00)
Sunday 9th October 2022
Japanese Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 6:00)

Max will win the title if he finishes the Japanese Grand Prix weekend with a lead of 112 points.
If he wins in Japan with the bonus point for fastest lap, he will be crowned champion.

Previous Winners
2009 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault Suzuka
2010 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2011 United Kingdom Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes
2012 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2013 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2015 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2016 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2017 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2018 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2019 Finland Valtteri Bottas Mercedes
2020–2021 Not held

Videos

Schumacher 2001

Prost 1990

Standings

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: 2022 FORMULA 1 HONDA JAPANESE GRAND PRIX

Post by norbs »

Wet for free prac today.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Could be a wet race too.

I see Mick binned it again. I think this year could be the end of his F1 career.
My Flickr Stream
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Binned it on a cool down lap too. Gunther not impressed.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

That was so close to a huge accident between Lando and Max.

Max got a reprimand.
My Flickr Stream
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

What a farce!!!
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

They need to do something about support vehicles and the speed the cars do past incidents.

I don't see why they can't have bright flashing LEDs on the tractor units for better visibility and that it shuldn't have been on track until everyone was in line behind the SC, and also for years now drivers have barely been lifting in yellow flag zones. They sacrifice a couple of tenths at most. Gasly was going way too fast past a location he knew had an incident that was under double yellows. You need to be prepared to stop and he had no chance of doing that.

But well done to Max (until they release the finance report on Monday :) ). He's been the class of the field this year.
My Flickr Stream
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Was an interesting race once they finally got going. Some good battles down the field, max just destroyed them. That was an impressive gap to 2nd by the time the race ran its 2hrs.

I really wanted to see Alonso's final lap. He was absolutely flying!

Weird rule about full points being awarded under a race thats run to its 2hr limit therefore a chequered flag finish (result of a change in rules due to Spa last year) but as the teams worked out pretty quickly it was the case. Surprising that it wasn't highlighted during the red flag chatter by Sky since they ran over all the possible reduced points scenarios.

The penalty for Leclerc was cut n dry. He might have gotten away with it if he didnt close the door on Perez's run around the outside. But it was another unforced error by Leclerc in a long list for this season.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

It's almost pointless having wet tyres now because they don't run when it's that wet anyway. By the time they do get going the inters work just as well.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yeah, wets just create visibility issues so if it's wet tyre conditions they can't run due to the spray.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Was a total farce of a race still!!!

F1 appear to be so far up their own arse they have forgotten what keeps their sport going, the fans!!!
They are letting us "fans" down with how the officialdom is allowed to intervene &/or make decisions that no matter what alter the race outcomes or results. Like the decisions or not they do alter what could have transpired if they didn't step in.
I'm just about done with it, ever since Liberty took over it has gotten worse & worse as a spectacle imho.

As for Gasly, he was a major contributor to that scenario so he gets no sympathy from me on his comments afterwards.
Read the rule-book laddy on what double waved yellows & red flag mean!!!
For that alone he should get hit with licence demerit points... :rolleyes:
Dukester

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Duke wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:51 am They are letting us "fans" down with how the officialdom is allowed to intervene &/or make decisions that no matter what alter the race outcomes or results. Like the decisions or not they do alter what could have transpired if they didn't step in.
Genuine question.

Im wondering what decisions you are referring to?
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

KNAPPO wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:34 pm
Duke wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:51 am They are letting us "fans" down with how the officialdom is allowed to intervene &/or make decisions that no matter what alter the race outcomes or results. Like the decisions or not they do alter what could have transpired if they didn't step in.
Genuine question.

Where do I start... LOL!!!

Sprint races, get rid of them they add nothing to the prestige or excitement of the race weekend but influence both World Championships
First lap rules are different to any other lap of the race, you don't need to leave a car width & can force a competitor off the track or if someone goes off track there is no redress or time penalty applied
Track limits still inconsistently applied based on some random decision whether the race director thinks it is an advantage, there are painted white lines for a reason so just tell them to keep 2 wheels inside the lines at all times.
Not calling red flags when it appears they should or calling them when they don't seem to be needed.
Decide if a restart is standing or rolling & typically decide on the one that is likely to effect the race result the most
Racing when it is too wet but then not racing when it isn't as wet. I thought they had wet tyres for a reason
Random penalties on rules they have let go in the past, then when they do apply them they don't penalise sufficiently to affect the penalised driver.

I am sure you can find examples of the above yourself even this year..

And yes & I know it is not just F1 that suffers this but they are supposedly the top echelon of Motorsport :sigh:
Dukester

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I wonder if they didn't want to immediately throw the red flag because if they could keep the cars trundling round for 6-7 laps it would have cleared off some of the water. They interviewed Isotta? from Pirelli and he said each tyre gets rid of something crazy like 80L a second at 100kph. That's mental.

I also wonder if they could have some standard issue FIA 'mudguard' that they could fit over the rear wheels with vanes to throw the water out sideways so you could race but not generate the spray and then they're designed to quickly unclip when you switch to inters at the pit stop.
My Flickr Stream
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Duke wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:49 pm
KNAPPO wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:34 pm
Genuine question.

Where do I start... LOL!!!

Sprint races, get rid of them they add nothing to the prestige or excitement of the race weekend but influence both World Championships
First lap rules are different to any other lap of the race, you don't need to leave a car width & can force a competitor off the track or if someone goes off track there is no redress or time penalty applied
Track limits still inconsistently applied based on some random decision whether the race director thinks it is an advantage, there are painted white lines for a reason so just tell them to keep 2 wheels inside the lines at all times.
Not calling red flags when it appears they should or calling them when they don't seem to be needed.
Decide if a restart is standing or rolling & typically decide on the one that is likely to effect the race result the most
Racing when it is too wet but then not racing when it isn't as wet. I thought they had wet tyres for a reason
Random penalties on rules they have let go in the past, then when they do apply them they don't penalise sufficiently to affect the penalised driver.

I am sure you can find examples of the above yourself even this year..

And yes & I know it is not just F1 that suffers this but they are supposedly the top echelon of Motorsport :sigh:
The thing about that list, its almost all FIA. Look Liberty aren't perfect, while I like the sprint thing I understand your point.
My main issues with them are around things like the fact they have let all the race promotors races just ramp up the number of people attending without having the infrastructure (Miami, Spa, Monza ect..), the fact they are looking at removing races like Spa for another US GP ect isn't good enough. The quality of the TV feed needs to be improved, the car cameras are really low quality compared to the rest, the director cuts are shit with the crowd panning mid overtake, but theirs plenty of areas they do well.. social/DTS/new car ect have really brought new people to the sport

Where F1 really needs to sharpen up is the FIA. Almost everything on that list is the FIA who run the race.. its a fucking shitshow and has been for awhile.. All of those things you listed are spot-on.. massive inconstancy is the major thing for me.. I don't believe in this whole #fiafixed but fuck me they need to do better... If I was liberty I would be going crazy at them
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

But Michael Massey was arsed, didnt that fix it all? ;)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

norbs wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:24 pm But Michael Massey was arsed, didnt that fix it all? ;)
oh yeah sorry forgot about that ;)
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Surely it would be naive to think the FIA isn't influenced by the owner of their most coveted race series = "F1"...

You only have to look at the past where it was pretty obvious old mate "Bernie" was doing the same!!!
Dukester